The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all :coffee:

I'm building the gun fund back up I have an objective now.
    I shot one of those with red dot and suppressor, pretty effortless to get hits on steel.

I have 3 of these and I love them. The stock one is a joy to shoot and quite accurate. I have a second where I put on a volquartsen barrel and red dot and it's even better. Best of all I traded someone for a Performance Center version, with a carbon fiber barrel, flat faced trigger, TK Hive grips and an extended mag release. This thing, with a red dot on it, is hard to miss with. I highly recommend them... :yesway:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    The variant of 457 I'm looking at (Varmint At-One) comes in 16" and 24". I'm leaning towards 16" but I believe I posted a 24" up thread(first I came to). Everything I've read says 22lr is "done" around ~16". Any advice appreciated, you folks have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The variant of 457 I'm looking at (Varmint At-One) comes in 16" and 24". I'm leaning towards 16" but I believe I posted a 24" up thread(first I came to). Everything I've read says 22lr is "done" around ~16". Any advice appreciated, you folks have forgotten more than I'll ever know.
    I've not seen a convincing reason to go past 16-18" on a 22LR. On the other hand, everything I seem to know is wrong over at Sniper's Hide, so there's that also.

What I really want to know, are you gonna put a tuner on it??? I need a tuner buddy, you could be the Ernie to my Burt. :gaychase:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've not seen a convincing reason to go past 16-18" on a 22LR. On the other hand, everything I seem to know is wrong over at Sniper's Hide, so there's that also.

What I really want to know, are you gonna put a tuner on it??? I need a tuner buddy, you could be the Ernie to my Burt. :gaychase:
    If I get to that level, I'll get a tuner and be your buddy.:)

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

I have a 24” 457 at-one. Bought it because tdogg said to get a 16”.

Actually, it was just what was available and figured it was just a trip to AllenM from being shorter. I’ll have to chrono it and see what impact it has. Accuracy has been promising but not well tested.

Now…I’ve been looking at Lilja barrels lately and, if given a choice, would go for 18”.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I have 3 .22 rifles with 16" barrels and they are quite accurate. On the other hand, I assume there is a reason the benchrest competitors use longer barrels. Your choice.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Someone has to be responsible and make sure work gets done. Maybe if you weren’t online all the time playing with your friends, you could help me get some things accomplished.
    If I help you, then who's gonna do all of this R&D work?

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have 3 .22 rifles with 16" barrels and they are quite accurate. On the other hand, I assume there is a reason the benchrest competitors use longer barrels. Your choice.
    I noticed your 457 up thread looked like ~16". When the time comes I'll just see what's out there. I guess there's no wrong choice really.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I spent a lot of time testing the aerodynamics on that car. The size/shape/placement of the hood scoops and those wings were perfect. Then I found out with both headlights flipped up, it ruined all of my downforce. After further testing I determined one headlight was sufficient for night driving while still giving me the required drag for making that right turn onto my street while on my way home from getting a blizzard.

I'd also like to mention that, because of me being a well seasoned skinflint, all testing was performed in my driveway using smoke grenades purchased on clearance from the fireworks section of the department store and a Ryobi leaf blower. The leaf blower is available for purchase at the low low price of $130.

Last edited:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I spent a lot of time testing the aerodynamics on that car. The size/shape/placement of the hood scoops and those wings were perfect. Then I found out with both headlights flipped up, it ruined all of my downforce. After further testing I determined one headlight was sufficient for night driving while still giving me the required drag for making that right turn onto my street while on my way home from getting a blizzard.

I'd also like to mention that, because of me being a well seasoned skinflint, all testing was performed in my driveway using smoke grenades purchased on clearance from the fireworks section of the department store and a Ryobi leaf blower. The leaf blower is available for purchase at the low low price of $130.
    My favorite part was the one headlight up for night driving! LOL!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

That's a lot of work just to sell a leaf blower.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If you intend to put a scope on the rifle, there is no real reason to go past 16". If you intend to put a peep sight on it, the longer sight radius can give an advantage. Lilja Sundberg taper on my Sako Quad shoots pretty well. Think it's 18".

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Remind me to pass along the lab coat of honor at our next meet up. This is a level of science that the mouse and I could only dream of. Please tell me that there was graph paper involved. Maybe we can work together to tie the steering to the headlight function so you can see when you turn left once in a while too

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom