88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good morning, Folks.

I guess I'm a bit of a philistine, but I never minded the "de-antiquing" of guns (or anything for that matter). If we're willing to hack up and chrome plate/cerakote and swap sights and grips on new guns, why not old ones? I agree about Bubba-ing guns, but if it's done well, I don't mind that people tweak their guns their way. To me, the "it's history" argument never held much water - if mine or yours or anyone's grandpa wouldn't've felt bad about making adjustments, why should we feel bad about doing it now. That said, I think that LeadEye's and others' restoration projects are very beautiful and I enjoy reading about those old guns.
    It all depends on the quality of the work done to me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm not above fabricating some internal parts to get something going even though it's modern, you really can't see it. Replacing Colt wedges also doesn't cross a line for me because truth be told people lost them all the time through history and they were replaced. I do try and stick with period correct materials in visible areas, I have a Colt 1889 Navy that I've been searching for correct grips with no luck and am now looking at having a grip maker just use some natural material for them using Colt escutcheons.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I've been trying to get some for mcapo for 6 or more months. Hodgdon imports it from ADI in Australia and I think we are waiting for a slow boat from down under.
    They stopped and had a Vegemite sandwich.

Afternoon all. I desperately need to get out and shoot before FGE. Not even sure what to bring.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom