Not open for further replies.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Saw Spencer, WV today. Road looked like this. You could hide my pickup in that sinkhole in the road
    20210905_114508-jpg.156953

Attachments

• 20210905_114508.jpg
      20210905_114508.jpg
      2 MB · Views: 98

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Morning folks! :coffee:

I spent the day yesterday heading up to Chiraq to pick my MIL up from OHare. It was a beautiful day for a drive but OHare sucks donkey balls. What a crap airport. It sure makes you appreciate Indy's airport.

We could have pantless hiway’d her….OK. That sounds wrong.

Anyway, glad you survived that exodus.

Indy’s airport makes you appreciate Fort Wayne’s. Lol.

Twenty years ago we used to go to Chiraq often but not since and no desire.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It’s amazing to drive around Chiraq and see massive amounts of construction in the same places we saw it years ago but you never seem to run on good roads. It’s like they spend years just pushing dirt back and forth up there.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was just looking at a 1913 built 1911 on GB. The poor thing has been hard chromed and the slide cut for aftermarket sights. There is a part of me that wants to bring it home even though it would always generate a ‘Why?’ when I brought it to a shoot.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was just looking at a 1913 built 1911 on GB. The poor thing has been hard chromed and the slide cut for aftermarket sights. There is a part of me that wants to bring it home even though it would always generate a ‘Why?’ when I brought it to a shoot.
    It costs less than 40.00 to get the chrome stripped and then you could refurbish it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Tough to see those old guns hacked up like that, but you could probably replace the sights without too much trouble back to standard and just have a shiny gun from 1913.

My odd 1911 is a "Black Army" from 1918 that was nickle plated long ago and has no government stamp. I thought it was ground off even though there was no sign of it and no loss of metal evident when I checked it with a micrometer.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Good morning, Folks.

I guess I'm a bit of a philistine, but I never minded the "de-antiquing" of guns (or anything for that matter). If we're willing to hack up and chrome plate/cerakote and swap sights and grips on new guns, why not old ones? I agree about Bubba-ing guns, but if it's done well, I don't mind that people tweak their guns their way. To me, the "it's history" argument never held much water - if mine or yours or anyone's grandpa wouldn't've felt bad about making adjustments, why should we feel bad about doing it now. That said, I think that LeadEye's and others' restoration projects are very beautiful and I enjoy reading about those old guns.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom