• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Look closely at an early Harley engine and tell me what you see.

Similar look, but I'm ignorant on what's inside. Radials have a master rod/slave rod setup, do Harley's have something similar? Jim was a big gruff guy, looked like a biker Santa Claus, but I learned things from him by listening.

I think my favorite engine experience was helping start a Tommy-Morse Scout that had a LeRhone rotary engine. You had to rotate it and prime all the cylinders with a squirt can of gas directly through the valve opening into the cylinder when it opened. The propeller was bolted to the case and the entire engine rotated around a stationary crankshaft.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Similar look, but I'm ignorant on what's inside. Radials have a master rod/slave rod setup, do Harley's have something similar? Jim was a big gruff guy, looked like a biker Santa Claus, but I learned things from him by listening.

I think my favorite engine experience was helping start a Tommy-Morse Scout that had a LeRhone rotary engine. You had to rotate it and prime all the cylinders with a squirt can of gas directly through the valve opening into the cylinder when it opened. The propeller was bolted to the case and the entire engine rotated around a stationary crankshaft.
    I've heard of that guy in the Harley circles.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What a leap in piston driven engineering.
    tjis was the epitome in prop engine driven airframes.

The late 40s really did produce some great piston engines. The 4360 was a beast. They’ve bolted them to Sea Fury and Corsair fighter planes for racing. There was a production version of the Corsair that was going to have a 4360 to let it chase down kamikazis but the war ended before it could be built.

The 3350 was a turbo compound radial that had multiple turbos the fed power directly back to the crankshaft.

a000daab5f9287dae53363237ba5f4e2.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I've needed a new wallet for awhile and stumbled across this company on Facebook called Apache Pine. Since I don't carry much cash usually and a recent wallet cleanup revealed WAY too much junk in there, this small minimalist design seemed right up my alley. Price was right, so I ordered a couple for myself (couldn't decide which one I liked) and one for the wife too. Now I carry my wallet comfortably in my front pocket or smaller cargo pockets.

https://apachepine.com/
    This company runs a bunch of coupon codes and discounts, which I'm a big fan of.

20210830_170053.jpg

20210830_170130.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I remember seeing a 4 row R-4360 Wasp Major on static display somewhere, maybe Wright-Pat. The plaque said it was really high maintenance, it powered the B-36.View attachment 155984

Hi, were calling about your Wasp's extended warranty. Do you have a minute?

I've needed a new wallet for awhile and stumbled across this company on Facebook called Apache Pine. Since I don't carry much cash usually and a recent wallet cleanup revealed WAY too much junk in there, this small minimalist design seemed right up my alley. Price was right, so I ordered a couple for myself (couldn't decide which one I liked) and one for the wife too. Now I carry my wallet comfortably in my front pocket or smaller cargo pockets.

This company runs a bunch of coupon codes and discounts, which I'm a big fan of.

View attachment 156003

View attachment 156004

Been using a Guardian minimalist w/ RFID blocker for awhile now. Love them. Probably never go back to leather again. Ever.
    I like those Apaches as well. Will give a peep see.
    acd3569182bd8fd92e203661f7e7a838.jpg

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    This would be my guess, as well.

It would be great for it to be a stack and a half but I’m not holding my breath. Plus I, personally, don’t need another plastic CCW 9mm. Not sure the market does either.
    I also wonder if it could be a dedicated .22 offering instead of a kadet kit.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area

View attachment 156003

View attachment 156004
    I have looked at the Ridge, ApachePine, and a few others like that. I like a minimalist wallet. I was using a minimalist leather wallet/money clip, but Hilltop Leather didn't have one last time I was in there, so I ended up with something slightly bigger.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Jim always used to say you could tell round engines had been on the ramp by the puddles of oil.

If a round engine is not leaking, it’s only because it’s empty. I used to have to pull the props through when I worked at the museum out at Travis occasionally to keep the bottom cylinders from filling up. There was an A26 that I had volunteered to be the ‘crew chief’ of, which only meant that I had free access to the airplane but had to keep the engines clear and struts wiped down. It had just been given to the museum after being confiscated by the feds for running drugs. I spent a year pulling the prop through on both engines once or twice a week while it waited to get onto the schedule for pickling. Then, the big day came to pickle the engines and I was on temp duty at Hickam and could not be there. The right engine fired right up then promptly seized. Seems that the guys doing the pickling forgot to prime the oil pump and ruined a good engine. If I recall, they did better on the 2nd engine. I really wish I could have been there to hear the old bird run up one last time.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I think that you’re right. Anyone want odds on whether or not it’s higher capacity? Could it be that it was held back from the US while the higher cap mags could be fully tested?

As much as I want to be excited by a new CZ, this one isn’t getting a rise out of me. Now, had it been a 10mm P10C sized gun, it might just have made me break the wallet back open

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom