wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all... :coffee:

That's what matters too. I love shooting a quality 1911 but I don't carry them for 2 reasons. With my shooting grip I activate the safety and I dont like a grip safety. I make fun of the fewer rounds thing but I could get past that. I carry a shield sometimes so obviously I know a quick reload will fix that issue if we had need of more rounds in the pump or the computer.
    Glocks arent my most comfortable pistol but other factors make me love them and honestly I am very comfortable with them in my hand. The gen5 isnmy sweet spot though for glock. I say it isnt comfortable but I was just doing my daily dry fire with it and it's like wearing an old broke jn leather glove. I do love my gen5 19

I'm the same with 1911's. I love them, but dislike the grip safety. In dry fire practice, drawing from the holster, once every xx times I drew my gun I couldn't fire due to the grip safety. This was with 4 different 1911's. I have fairly small hands and think that's part of the problem. Now I'm back around to not wanting an external safety or decocker, so I'm carrying a polymer striker fired pistol. On the other hand, it IS a CZ... :):

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Good morning!
    I love the 1911, but I wanted to get something that held more rounds, was reliable, and also a good shooter.
    Knock, Knock
    Who's there?
    Phantom!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've seen you post a few times about the weights of various models. I would be interested to learn, if you wouldn't mind sharing, why you think this is significant for you.

1. Certainly!
    2. Short version: I like thick handles and I like heft in a gun.
    3. For whatever reason, whether it's in a .22 or a larger caliber, like a heavy gun.
    4. For example, with my .22LR semi-autos, I like my heavy 1911-22s the best, instead of my lighter S/W M/P Compact or Walther P22QD.
    5. I found, for example, that I shot a member's CZ SP-01 (40 oz.) more accurately than my newly-acquired CZ 75 B Omega (36 oz.), which, I'm assuming is b/c of the extra 4 ozs. (imo)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning all... :coffee:

I'm the same with 1911's. I love them, but dislike the grip safety. In dry fire practice, drawing from the holster, once every xx times I drew my gun I couldn't fire due to the grip safety. This was with 4 different 1911's. I have fairly small hands and think that's part of the problem. Now I'm back around to not wanting an external safety or decocker, so I'm carrying a polymer striker fired pistol. On the other hand, it IS a CZ... :):

I have large hands and have the same issue with a 1911. I sweep the thumb safety off just fine because I naturally put my thumb there, but because I grip high it causes me to not press the grip safety fully. One reason I thought a 97 SAO would be a better fit for me.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    As far as reliability of a carry gun, you will know your gun is reliable if you shoot it often and a lot.
    You should absolutely feel 100% confident that gun is going to go bang when you pull that trigger or that isnt the right gun or you need to shoot it more.
    Most firearms can be worked over to be reliable. Occasionally a design is just bad but we can maximize the chances for reliability. But nothing replaces rangetime and bullets downrange.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    1. Certainly!
    2. Short version: I like thick handles and I like heft in a gun.
    3. For whatever reason, whether it's in a .22 or a larger caliber, like a heavy gun.
    4. For example, with my .22LR semi-autos, I like my heavy 1911-22s the best, instead of my lighter S/W M/P Compact or Walther P22QD.
    5. I found, for example, that I shot a member's CZ SP-01 (40 oz.) more accurately than my newly-acquired CZ 75 B Omega (36 oz.), which, I'm assuming is b/c of the extra 4 ozs. (imo)

I think it is pretty common to shoot an all steel gun better than a lighter one. I have a hard time believing that four ounces makes that much difference. Many people like the SP01/Shadows because the rail adds a little weight to the nose. That tends to keep it on target. That's why you see SP01s as target guns much more often than the 75/85. I don't really think they are more mechanically accurate I just think they are easier to be accurate with. The 10x bushing greatly increases mechanical accuracy but it is lost on most shooters, including yours truly, because most shooters simply don't have the skill to make the most out of it. I still put 10x bushings in everything I can. I do notice some improvement but it is probably just in my head.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I wouldn't automatically assume that you shot the other gun more accurately because it weighed 4 oz more. This would mean that as you shoot and use ammo that your shots would get increasingly off and by the end of the magazine who knows where the bullet is going? It could be, but I doubt it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I wouldn't automatically assume that you shot the other gun more accurately because it weighed 4 oz more. This would mean that as you shoot and use ammo that your shots would get increasingly off and by the end of the magazine who knows where the bullet is going? It could be, but I doubt it.

If you look at the way the guns are designed and produced there is no difference in the barrel lock up or stock bushings between the SP01 and the 75/85. That means there is no difference in average mechanical accuracy. Of course, anything mass produced has tolerances and how those line up has a lot to do with how a gun functions.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    As far as reliability of a carry gun, you will know your gun is reliable if you shoot it often and a lot.
    You should absolutely feel 100% confident that gun is going to go bang when you pull that trigger or that isnt the right gun or you need to shoot it more.
    Most firearms can be worked over to be reliable. Occasionally a design is just bad but we can maximize the chances for reliability. But nothing replaces rangetime and bullets downrange.

QFT.
    I am a firm believer in shooting your carry gun EVERY time you go to the range. Even if it is just a magazine or two. You are trusting your life and the lives of others to this gun. The more familiar and comfortable with it you are the more likely you are to be successful with it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    QFT.
    I am a firm believer in shooting your carry gun EVERY time you go to the range. Even if it is just a magazine or two. You are trusting your life and the lives of others to this gun. The more familiar and comfortable with it you are the more likely you are to be successful with it.

Exactly. I may have a lot of guns I shoot, but my carry gun goes to the range with me every time and is shot every time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think it is pretty common to shoot an all steel gun better than a lighter one. I have a hard time believing that four ounces makes that much difference. Many people like the SP01/Shadows because the rail adds a little weight to the nose. That tends to keep it on target. That's why you see SP01s as target guns much more often than the 75/85. I don't really think they are more mechanically accurate I just think they are easier to be accurate with. The 10x bushing greatly increases mechanical accuracy but it is lost on most shooters, including yours truly, because most shooters simply don't have the skill to make the most out of it. I still put 10x bushings in everything I can. I do notice some improvement but it is probably just in my head.

1. I lack the benefit of the technical aspect, and don't even know what "10x bushings" means. :ugh:
    2. I do keep track of my shooting (love stats: I'm a teacher, so figure), and as the scales don't lie that I get on every morning, the targets don't lie when some guns seem to shoot better than others for me, and there does seem to be that correlation of heft/weight.
    3. I will be happy with my 36 oz Omega, but if I can trade to get an SP-01 with the 40 oz, I will (got to be careful b/c not all of the same model have the same weight :wallbash:, which makes it difficult in making sure I get the right gun). I can feel a 2 oz difference in my hand, though, I discovered last summer when trying out different guns when I was looking for the lightest CC.
    4. I'm going to the range today after P. T. and a blood test to go another round with the FNS and the Omega, to see if I can let my FNS be traded or sold. I love them both, though.
    5. The FNS was my favorite gun until the CZ invaded my consciousness. :laugh:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    QFT.
    I hit the multi quote button but for some reason it didnt includ yours. Exactly right BA. Your advice should he heeded

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Truly! You are so right as I reflect on my targets that I post. As I learn the fine points of "trigger" control, I am seeing the veracity of what your saying.
    2. I'll put shots #1 - #5 right where they are supposed to be (for my level), but shots #6 - #10 they will be outside my "area" of preferred placement. :dunno:
    3. I get in a hurry, I get faster and faster, and it doesn't go well. :wallbash: And, I wonder, how in the world did that shot get way over there away from the others? :ar15:
    4. In testing/comparing a gun against a gun, I probably should put only 5 rounds into the target instead of 10 or 15. ( I love to use the 5 in 1 targets)

uTO76X9.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think this particular thread is greatly enhanced when experienced shooters like yourself share what might seem like "no brainers" with everyone.
    Wow thank you for a very kind compliment and the same to yourself.
    My favorite times at the range or in a training class or with someone who is giving tips or making me think outside the box as a shooter is when I have those AHA! Moments and it just clicks and then will become part of my repetition (if it's something I want to adopt).

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Wow thank you for a very kind compliment and the same to yourself.
    My favorite times at the range or in a training class or with someone who is giving tips or making me think outside the box as a shooter is when I have those AHA! Moments and it just clicks and then will become part of my repetition (if it's something I want to adopt).

I think that shooters like you posting what they do and why they do it is very helpful to a lot of us on here. We can read what experienced people do and why they do it and incorporate what works for us.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have just never gotten excited over the Sig line up. Never. I had several wheel guns and very nice ones. But up until BA graced my life I was a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. Period end of discussion.
    Started shooting them at 12 years old. My hand is at home with one.

:bs: Sorry CM, but I've got to throw the BS flag on that statement. They didn't have 1911s back in 1850.

I do need to adjust my carry/shoot routine somewhat. My plan for this year has been to focus on a narrow couple of pistols for carry (P10, G23, G30) and to have two of each, one for the range and one for the holster. I've achieved that but am thinking that I need to rotate the range/carry guns so both get exercised instead of one getting a high round count while the other does not get shot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom