The CZickness XIII: Lucky 13, we could all use some.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Anyone ever read a book called 'Shop Class as SoulCraft'? It's along the lines of 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' in that it talks about how we need to raise an appreciation of craftsmanship in our current culture. I would love to see the rise of the craftsman come about. There are some here on this thread that are true craftsman in the quality of the work that they produce, like CM's 1911s, BA's CZs and just about anything the Wizard touches. Craftsmanship needs to be appreciated and schools need to stop teaching kids that the trades are for the kids that can't cut it as a 'knowledge worker'. I would love to see the day when we re-establish the concept of apprenticeships and when kids can aspire to be a true craftsman again.

OMG...haven't heard "Art of Motorcycycle Maintenance" since college philosophy classes. That book and Culture Jam. One entire semester...

Hate to tell but today's youngsters might be the last generation to know true craftsman. Like my grandfather (now deceased) who could machine anything to exacting tolerances, could tell you what was wrong with a motor from a half mile away. Let him put his hand on the valve cover and he'd tell you even more.

They are still around (looks like a few right here!) but we, as a culture, are not creating craftsman at the rate we are losing them.

Speaking of craftsmanship - headed to pay $1500 for a water pump/tensioner/belt and service of a BMW. Should have bought a chevy....that used to be $100 on Sunday afternoon in the backyard.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What type of BMW? I've worked on a lot of them that were really easy to maintain. Depending on the car, a WP, belt and tensioner might be a very easy Saturday morning job. The newer the car, the less that seems to apply though. I did a tensioner on my son's '98 328is in the Fashion Mall parking lot a couple of weeks back. I don't do much to my wife's car though. The newer stuff takes a lot of disassembly to just be able to see what needs replaced. Then, you run into a lot of single use fasteners that are not designed to be retorqued.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    2008 535xi with 190,000 miles. My wife bought it new, daughter drove it for awhile and now my son is driving it in college. It has been a very reliable car and stills drive like a new(er) car. Non-maintenance costs have been minimal. It was about $400 in labor; the rest parts, oil, coolant, etc. I'm usually a buy American guy but BMW's are top notch though my Chevy trucks have all been 200,000 mile vehicles.

I used to work on our BMWs myself but I'd always get it apart and then need a special tool or a part (like those single use fasteners...) and then would run out of time or need a computer to tell the car it had a new battery (true story). Being self-employed, it makes more sense to drop it off and let my LGS (local garage service) fix it. Plus one of us usually has a new gun to show the other. :)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Anyone ever read a book called 'Shop Class as SoulCraft'? It's along the lines of 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' in that it talks about how we need to raise an appreciation of craftsmanship in our current culture. I would love to see the rise of the craftsman come about. There are some here on this thread that are true craftsman in the quality of the work that they produce, like CM's 1911s, BA's CZs and just about anything the Wizard touches. Craftsmanship needs to be appreciated and schools need to stop teaching kids that the trades are for the kids that can't cut it as a 'knowledge worker'. I would love to see the day when we re-establish the concept of apprenticeships and when kids can aspire to be a true craftsman again.

Very insightful post, 88' ! So true, yet sad.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    But seriously, events that are fraught with challenges are often the most memorable.

In my late 20's, and early 30's, I used to do a bunch of long-distance motorcycle riding ..... on one of two BMW's that I owned. I'm talking about 7,000 mile loops ..... as in, leaving Indy, heading to San Francisco, swinging up the coast to British Columbia, and then back home. There was another trip to Nova Scotia, to Florida and on to New Orleans .... and so forth. Many trips. The boss of the wholesale nursery that I worked for was one of my riding partners, so it wasn't hard to take 3 weeks off work, and head out on adventures.

In retrospect, what I learned was this: the days that were perfect weather would slip out of memory rather quickly. The days that were so rotten that they almost killed you (ice storms, 50 mph winds, etc) ...... ahhh, those were the days that stuck with you. And years, and decades later, when reminiscing with your riding partners ..... those were the days that you remembered, and retold the stories with great glee !

So let's make some memories on Saturday. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    But seriously, events that are fraught with challenges are often the most memorable.

In my late 20's, and early 30's, I used to do a bunch of long-distance motorcycle riding ..... on one of two BMW's that I owned. I'm talking about 7,000 mile loops ..... as in, leaving Indy, heading to San Francisco, swinging up the coast to British Columbia, and then back home. There was another trip to Nova Scotia, to Florida and on to New Orleans .... and so forth. Many trips. The boss of the wholesale nursery that I worked for was one of my riding partners, so it wasn't hard to take 3 weeks off work, and head out on adventures.

In retrospect, what I learned was this: the days that were perfect weather would slip out of memory rather quickly. The days that were so rotten that they almost killed you (ice storms, 50 mph winds, etc) ...... ahhh, those were the days that stuck with you. And years, and decades later, when reminiscing with your riding partners ..... those were the days that you remembered, and retold the stories with great glee !

So let's make some memories on Saturday. :)

Now, that is the spirit! Let the weather do what it wants, it will have little impact on our enjoyment of the time, but will surely impact our memory of it. If there's snow on the ground, it might be worth bringing an old Finnish capture Mosin along. That one loves being shot in the snow.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Now, that is the spirit! Let the weather do what it wants, it will have little impact on our enjoyment of the time, but will surely impact our memory of it. If there's snow on the ground, it might be worth bringing an old Finnish capture Mosin along. That one loves being shot in the snow.

Is that a M39? I'm not a mosin aficionado but I've wanted a nice M39 long before they started to get expensive.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Is that a M39? I'm not a mosin aficionado but I've wanted a nice M39 long before they started to get expensive.

No, sadly like an idiot, I sold our M39 a couple of years ago. Wish I had held onto it. This one is an M91/30 that was captured and modified by the Finns. It's got the finish style front sights and stock but looks like it's mostly 91/30 otherwise.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Your mom goes north for winter? Doesn't she know it's warmer if she goes south?

She does, but she goes and spends time with family. We don't have hardly any family south, they are all up north. So she goes up before Christmas and comes back right before the Super Bowl. She started doing that when Grandma was sick, and has been doing it since. It helps that she is semi-retired.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom