88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning BA, Rusty, CM and Tom!

I have a package coming from Greg Cote. That's always a happy thing. I also ordered another 720 rounds of 5.56 yesterday. 240 will go to each of my sons for Christmas to go along with the AR kit I've been gathering parts for and the last 240 will stick with me. I also ordered a couple of spare mags for a G**** 21. At $17.99 for factory mags, it was hard to pass up, but I'm still wondering about the intelligence of getting spare mags for a gun I may want to sell.

That last range trip really cooled my enthusiasm for the P07/40. I really want to love that gun, but after almost 500 rounds down the pipe since getting it, I don't trust it at all. If the new mag works, I'll order a second and re-evaluate the situation but right now, I think it would take a good 300 rounds without any issues at all to gain any level of confidence in the gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I started this year saying I didn't need an AR. I enjoyed shooting other people's, but never the one I had. I now have one really sweet one that I love, one on the way and another cooking in the brain....

Adult Legos are addicting. You can collect an almost unlimited number of different colors, sizes, calibers and optics with them. You know that you are getting in too deep when you buy one, replace the grip, stock, rail and optic only to look at the spare parts and think "I'm only a lower and upper away from a second rifle". So, you build up a lower, buy an upper and build yourself a rifle out of your spare parts and once done, you decide to replace the grip, stock rail and optic with something better. You then look at all of those spare parts and realize you are only an upper and lower away from a third rifle....and 4th rifle....and 5th rifle.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Adult Legos are addicting. You can collect an almost unlimited number of different colors, sizes, calibers and optics with them. You know that you are getting in too deep when you buy one, replace the grip, stock, rail and optic only to look at the spare parts and think "I'm only a lower and upper away from a second rifle". So, you build up a lower, buy an upper and build yourself a rifle out of your spare parts and once done, you decide to replace the grip, stock rail and optic with something better. You then look at all of those spare parts and realize you are only an upper and lower away from a third rifle....and 4th rifle....and 5th rifle.
    Mouse is that you?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think that this P07/40 is the first gun that I cannot see an obvious cause for the issues. The PPK had issues until I took the sharp edge off of the corner where the ramp and chamber met. The G19 would not cycle until the NibX finish was broken in. The RIA Compact would fail when I let the recoil spring run more than 500 rounds. And, the 40P, with it's banana shaped plastic guide rod ran fine once the stainless one was installed. This one should work. It does work most of the time. Eventually, I'll figure it out, but it's eating a lot of ammo in getting there. I keep thinking that the distance the cases are being tossed is part of the issue. None of my other .40s toss cases that far and I wonder if the slide is running hard against the stops causing a rebound issue. I might try to run a heavier hammer spring to see if that helps.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am going to refrain from commenting on this. It will only get me into trouble.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think that this P07/40 is the first gun that I cannot see an obvious cause for the issues. The PPK had issues until I took the sharp edge off of the corner where the ramp and chamber met. The G19 would not cycle until the NibX finish was broken in. The RIA Compact would fail when I let the recoil spring run more than 500 rounds. And, the 40P, with it's banana shaped plastic guide rod ran fine once the stainless one was installed. This one should work. It does work most of the time. Eventually, I'll figure it out, but it's eating a lot of ammo in getting there. I keep thinking that the distance the cases are being tossed is part of the issue. None of my other .40s toss cases that far and I wonder if the slide is running hard against the stops causing a rebound issue. I might try to run a heavier hammer spring to see if that helps.

That will in effect slow the slide. How heavy are you loading out your ammo...???

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Once I get this 7" pistol up and running, I am thinking about taking my time to build a really sweet lower, then as funds and boredom allow building a couple different uppers in different calibers to run on that lower.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm running .40 that's near the top of the loading chart. The issue also happened with factory HSTs, so I'm thinking that maybe the gun is under sprung. I have a box of Hornady Critical Duty that's a very abbreviated bullet profile with a flat side that would probably run well, but when I checked out the current batch of Hornady Critical Duty and XTPs, I see that they've modified their profile to be more like a standard .40 profile. So, even if the old profile works, it does me little good since I can only get the new profile now.

Right now, the best theory I can come up with is that the gun torques hard right with recoil and when the slide hits the stops, it causes the bullet to move forward to the left. That might cause it to hit the slide stop and rebound down into the front of the mag barrel instead of up and into the chamber. It's not a great theory, but it beats my other theory that the gun just does not like me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom