The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I would certainly accept woobie's idea of using the savings to lance and drain the infection that is the Department of Veterans Affairs, I have read recently that less than 10% of their hiring is for doctors, which they arguably need most. I really believe it's a disgrace that we have any homeless vets and that should be taken care of before we get knotted up about poor suffering illegal aliens. But I don't see anyone in congress making that mess a priority, and we all know where appropriations have to come from. Congress is just as bad as Trump in their willingness to use soldiers as props. I would love it if Trump made the very pivot I refer to; after planning for the parade is sufficiently advanced and the sniping constant enough, jump in and say "OK, you don't want a parade, let's fix the DVA once and for all as a tribute to our soldiers (and that fix might be to burn the whole thing down and make former soldiers prematurely eligible for medicare
    while selling VA facilities to hospital coalitions that could effectively run them)"

Unfortunately, if something like that was planned, I would be as surprised as you are. If he pulls that out of his hat I will become a true believer in 5D chess. I think he just likes a parade

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Perhaps they knew that if they didn't vote to release it the same teacup tempest would be swirling around them. Do you not find it odd that the minority caterwauling about NatSec prior to the release of the majority (Nunes) memo, which was seen to be theatre immediately after its release, so quickly morphed to release of actual NatSec material (as determined by the FBI/DoJ, which was given the chance to redact the Nunes memo and could only find what they considered a single omission of fact to complain about). Now, the same FBI/DoJ that is supposed to be the model of unbiased investigation where Trump/Russia is concerned is somehow the willing tool of the President where this "minority report" is concerned

Don't like the information the FBI/DoJ wants to redact - how is that the Presidents fault. Take it up with Rosenstein and Wray. Unless, as is obvious, its all a ploy to try to keep the narrative that Trump is hiding something on life support while not really releasing much new information because everything points to Obama being neck-deep in massive abuse of power

If Trump had released it against the advice of the FBI/DoJ, I'm sure there are stories about reckless handling of secrets that were already written and in the can that we would be reading instead. I find it amazing how much the MSMBS wishes to gloss over the fact that the Nunes memo was vetted by the FBI/DoJ and no redactions were deemed necessary

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So it begs the question, that if sensitive information was present in the memo that would prevent it's release, why did ALL the Republicans vote for it's release? :dunno:

To let the White House decide??? I don't know enough about the process but it could be that the job of redaction starts after the vote to release??? Valid point Kut...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Neither the WH nor HPSCI own or control the information in question. The HPSCI lacks the authority to redact/release on their own, and at the WH only the President has the authority to declassify. As I said, the President could order all the underlying information declassified in total, he can declassify whatever he wants. If he did so without consulting the FBI/DoJ the narrative would switch back to obstructing justice/undermining the Mueller probe. He is playing this exactly right no matter how the "consistent" press chooses to spin it

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    A parade I think it would be beneficial to have volunteer groups of vets from each conflict the USA has fought in since 1776. We probably don't have any prior to WWII that are still alive, but we could have a small cadre (say 4 to 12) volunteer to don uniforms from those prior conflicts. It might have some historical value for the youngsters who don't recognize how often we have come to the aid of other nations (plus started a few of our own "police actions").

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I hate dog and pony shows with a passion if you have never practiced for days standing in formation you will never know the pain. That being said a parade that was tasteful not a Brigade of tanks rolling through the streets I would think would give a sense of pride to most people.
    I always enjoyed static displays so civilians could set in and kids could crawl all over the vehicles. That way a person can witness where all the money you spend goes. Years ago we used to bring weapons and let the public handle them I don’t think that would work nowadays.

BTW
    A “Change Of Command” ceremony with fixed bayonets is a bad idea when the horses get spooked and run though the formation.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    That's what the Chairman Trump says... how come the 13 Republican members on the Intelligence Committee, who voted for the release of the Democrat memo, didn't express the same concerns? We're they waiting for the president to say it, so they could know which excuse to use?

Best guess... Swamp creatures sometimes stick together.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I hate dog and pony shows with a passion if you have never practiced for days standing in formation you will never know the pain. That being said a parade that was tasteful not a Brigade of tanks rolling through the streets I would think would give a sense of pride to most people.
    I always enjoyed static displays so civilians could set in and kids could crawl all over the vehicles. That way a person can witness where all the money you spend goes. Years ago we used to bring weapons and let the public handle them I don’t think that would work nowadays.

BTW
    A “Change Of Command” ceremony with fixed bayonets is a bad idea when the horses get spooked and run though the formation.

Those are awesome. I always looked forwarded to Armed Forces Day.... but they never let you climb on the "good" stuff. It always seemed to be a lot of Hueys and tanks taken out of mothballs. But it was a blast none the less.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    That's what the Chairman Trump says... how come the 13 Republican members on the Intelligence Committee, who voted for the release of the Democrat memo, didn't express the same concerns? We're they waiting for the president to say it, so they could know which excuse to use?

Because it isn't up to Congress to determine what is classified and what isn't. That's the job of the Executive branch. That's why it was sent to the White House to begin with.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Still winning hearts and minds.

[video=youtube;TGokFOErVaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGokFOErVaI[/video]

"The office of sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement. We must never erode this historic office."

Now, in the purest sense, he actually is right... the term "Anglo-American Law," is rarely used, and often supplanted with "Common Law." Why, in this climate, working for the administration he does, and the perception of that administration held by many... one must ask why did he use the former? The "poorly educated," most certainly will see this at it's basest meaning.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Still winning hearts and minds.

Now, in the purest sense, he actually is right... the term "Anglo-American Law," is rarely used, and often supplanted with "Common Law." Why, in this climate, working for the administration he does, and the perception of that administration held by many... one must ask why did he use the former? The "poorly educated," most certainly will see this at it's basest meaning.

I was curious why he would differentiate "Anglo-American Law" from "Common Law." I did some research online and found this.

The United States federal government (as opposed to the states) has a variant on a common law system. United States federal courts only act as interpreters of statutes and the constitution by elaborating and precisely defining broad statutory language (connotation 1(b) above), but, unlike state courts, do not act as an independent source of common law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law#United_States

To me, he was drawing a contrast between the British and American styles of "Common Law". It would also be seen as a rebuke of the concept of "legislating from the bench" at the Federal level. I am sure Kirk or another Esquire will be along shortly to correct my observation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom