The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Embarrassment is a subjective emotion. So who and what embarrasses us isn’t a standard to hold people to. Some people are proud that Trump fights back. Some people are proud that Obama...that Obama...uh...Idunno. I got nuttin’. Fundamentally changed America?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No. Of course not. The matter should be investigated and the facts determined. If there is sufficient evidence, then an impeachment should proceed. I think we aren't close to that point yet. Knowing how long some of these investigations take, I'd say impeachment really isn't on the table before the 2020 election.

The trouble with that is there is no "sufficient evidence", however the impeachment must proceed before the election at all costs so they must proceed without.
    One option is just to continue making impeachment noises for a year without actually proceeding but I think people would get tired and bored with that.
    So I suspect they will try to time it so they start groundless proceedings before the election without giving it enough time for the inevitable failure before the election day.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Apologize for him as you wish. I believe him to be an embarrassment.

Ther was no apology extended so please refrain from characterizing my explanation as one.

Funny thing about embarrassment, your thoughts on it can change. I'm now embarrassed that many of the folks I supported were such wimps they couldn't even stand up for themselves, much less the policies I voted for them to implement. I am a proud supporter of the policies President Trump has enacted without much support. His attempts to put originalists on SCOTUS and other courts. I am also pleased he is teaching the conservatives how to fight back against the enemies of the constitution.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Ther was no apology extended so please refrain from characterizing my explanation as one.

Funny thing about embarrassment, your thoughts on it can change. I'm now embarrassed that many of the folks I supported were such wimps they couldn't even stand up for themselves, much less the policies I voted for them to implement. I am a proud supporter of the policies President Trump has enacted without much support. His attempts to put originalists on SCOTUS and other courts. I am also pleased he is teaching the conservatives how to fight back against the enemies of the constitution.

a·pol·o·gist
    /əˈpäləjəst/

noun
    a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.

Perhaps his behavior is acceptable to you. It isn't to my family. It wouldn't be to all of the CEO's I worked for over the years. He's a buffoon and he is an embarrassment to the office of the presidency. Your finding his behavior acceptable says all I need to know.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Perhaps his behavior is acceptable to you. It isn't to my family. It wouldn't be to all of the CEO's I worked for over the years. He's a buffoon and he is an embarrassment to the office of the presidency. Your finding his behavior acceptable says all I need to know.

He didn’t say Trump’s behavior was acceptable. He said he liked Trump’s policies. I don’t think any of the candidates’ behave all that acceptably. But one of them will be president. It’s not an election about behavior. It’s not immoral to support a president whose policies you like. Trump’s policies, mostly, are not such that should require assignment of any moral emphasis, unless you’re nuts and believe he’s literally Hitler or some other nonsense. Something I think is a legitimate moral problem with his policies is a tendency to go beyond the power granted by the constitution.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No. That is not what he said. Read it again.

I was thinking this morning of an appropriate comparison that might take this out of the realm of political positions and focus on the underlying human qualities....

...and I hit upon Jerry Lewis, the film star, comedian and philanthropist. I hate Jerry Lewis in movies. Loved Deano, but couldn't watch Jerry for more than a minute or two without having a very negative visceral reaction. Nausea.

Now Jerry was a driving force in the March of Dimes and that program raised a lot of money for MD research, so while I wouldn't watch his films, he did have a number of socially redeeming values.

As a person.....many who dealt with him thought he was a dick.

That, to me, is Trump. And while Trump might have some socially redeeming qualities, I wouldn't have wanted Jerry Lewis in the presidency.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I was thinking this morning of an appropriate comparison that might take this out of the realm of political positions and focus on the underlying human qualities....

...and I hit upon Jerry Lewis, the film star, comedian and philanthropist. I hate Jerry Lewis in movies. Loved Deano, but couldn't watch Jerry for more than a minute or two without having a very negative visceral reaction. Nausea.

Now Jerry was a driving force in the March of Dimes and that program raised a lot of money for MD research, so while I wouldn't watch his films, he did have a number of socially redeeming values.

That, to me, is Trump. And while Trump might have some socially redeeming qualities, I wouldn't have wanted Jerry Lewis in the presidency.

I first pointed out that your points may be your opinion, but are not that relevant to the presidency. Then I said I like that he does not cower when he is attacked and tells many of the enemies of our country and traditions to FO. Policies in bold for reference...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Okay. We can work with that. Does that really imply a moral implication when other people don’t feel the same repulsion you feel? You said it shows what kind of person he was. I don’t think you can extrapolate so much from that little. Good people have their reasons to like democratic politicians. Can you concede that Trump supporters can have their reasons too, and that the fact alone doesn’t define their character?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't judge a person solely on their political leanings. In many cases, that factor does not reach the level of major determinancy. I have many friends and family and business associates who have differing views on any number of subjects. We generally stay away from politics and religion, however.

But, this is a political board and the opinions are primarily political. Supporting Trump, especially those that are feverish loyalists, says much about that person's worldview. Add in continuing insults to those of different political views such as "dumbocrats", arguments that justify Trump behavior with reference to Clinton, etc etc, and one might see why extrapolation is possible.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    You might be referring to me. I started calling the left edge politicians 'dumocraps' at one point. Someone on here politely asked me to stop and I did - mostly out of respect for that person.

Then a member of congress publicly called the President of the United States a motherf****r. Their party did nothing, there was no reprimand, no rebuke, no censure and no apology. That behavior and the response of the entire party caused me start calling them 'dumocraps' again.

I am not a congressperson and I am not even a public figure yet so I realize the effect of me calling them 'dumocraps' is minuscule compared to what they did but it is just my little contribution. I call them 'dumocraps' with all due respect they have earned.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    There are people with deep personality flaws on both sides of the aisle. Someone might say that it is almost a prerequisite. Certainly, I can name some on both sides that I wouldn't **** on if they were on fire.

Having said that, the labeling connotes a lack of thoughtfulness when applied to all members of that political group.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not much for name calling either.

Democrats are the enemy of the Second Amendment. That's not calling anybody anything, it's the dem's platform.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I believe that to be true in large part. However, some of us who have been or are hunters, who previously served in the military and some others who are older and non-PC don't feel that way.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't. Reparations talk was the final straw. Unless an old-school democratic party arises, I don't think I'll cast another vote in favor of a democrat. That doesn't mean I'll vote for a republican, however. If both are non-starters, I'd rather throw a vote away on a fringe candidate with character.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom