The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Chinese government intent on being all-powerful centralized authority able and willing to tell its people how to live every aspect of their lives while surveilling them to insure compliance. I predict the response of progressives will be "What's not to like"

I think it's possible that such conditions might breed the Sardaukar of hackers, though
    Maybe what is needed is the Fremen (“free men”); they kicked the Sardukar’s butt once Muad’Dib showed them the way.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    POTUS calling for "retribution" against TV show for satire. Also called the "rigged and corrupt" media the "enemy of the people" without elaborating on which ones, specifically. Which would seem to be a pretty important data point for people actually concerned about actual enemies.

Trump escalating his attack on satire. Suggests a federal investigation may be necessary to ensure "fairness."

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-bashes-gm-john-mccain-and-snl-on-twitter-2019-3

And yet, without a bit of self-examination, encourages others to not be "politically correct."

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opini...ves-real-part-reason-no-one-trusts-ncna895471
    Media bias against conservatives is real, and part of the reason no one trusts the news now

And one can draw a straight line from the fawning Clinton coverage in the 1990s to the deeply suspicious manner with which George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were portrayed in the aughts to the media hyperventilation about Romney's “binders full of women” all the way to Trump’s post-fact world. Each and every instance where the media engages in bias helped to chip away at the trust they once held; all conservatives ever did was point out the truth. Now, we all have to live with the consequences to the bias the media rarely acknowledges, and the victim is the truth.

I believe I'll wait until Trump sends 29 heavily armed FBI agents (two of them in a boat, in case the perps swim for it) in tactical gear on a pre-dawn raid of SNL after tipping off CNN that the raid will happen. When something like that goes down over targets that aren't considered violent or a flight risk, then it's probably time to worry about how heavy-handed government action is eroding freedom.

Oh, wait ...!

TL;DR Trump's actual actions, and willingness to be bound by the courts, are more important in judging him than what he (or anyone else) posts on twitter

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Trump grounding all 737 MAX -8s and -9s in US airspace.

Ouch.

That's going to be a problem, and a political one.

Look, if there's a safety issue, absolutely do something about it. But after defending the 737s, this looks funky.

Jaysus, T. Nothing real to complain about?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Jaysus, T. Nothing real to complain about?

With Trump, there's always something, eh? ;)

Fortunately for him, it looks like the bulk of the governmental problem-making on this one were under Obama.

Report: The Regulatory Failures of the Boeing 737 MAX

I totally understand why the FAA inherited by Trump was reluctant to be too forthcoming about the issues with the airplane. And of course, Boeing wasn't going to come out and and admit there were issues. I'm sure that if someone close to Trump ever did raise it with him, there were placative pronouncements galore.

The problem, as I see it, is that Trump put himself at the head of the decision-making tree to ground the aircraft. That begs the question why he didn't do so earlier, when there were reports of problems by US based pilots. He would've been better off making the head of the FAA do it. Then he could say, "I'm letting the subject matter experts handle it because that's their job."

Now, it is/will become more of a political issue IMHO.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Fortunately for him, it looks like the bulk of the governmental problem-making on this one were under Obama.

I totally understand why the FAA inherited by Trump was reluctant to be too forthcoming about the issues with the airplane. And of course, Boeing wasn't going to come out and and admit there were issues. I'm sure that if someone close to Trump ever did raise it with him, there were placative pronouncements galore.

The problem, as I see it, is that Trump put himself at the head of the decision-making tree to ground the aircraft. That begs the question why he didn't do so earlier, when there were reports of problems by US based pilots. He would've been better off making the head of the FAA do it. Then he could say, "I'm letting the subject matter experts handle it because that's their job."

I'm guessing Trump didn't know about the previous problems. Not every detail gets to the President. I agree he should have let the FAA handle it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Are you actually following this? The two reports to the ASRS that are substantially similar are likely from the same incident - one report by the PIC and one by the co-pilot. The anonymization of the reports likely made it seem like two seperate incidents, and it can be discounted because the reports state that the a/c pitched down after they engaged the autopilot on climb out. The MCAS is seperate from the autopilot, is turned on as part of the pre-flight checklist and would have to be separately disengaged; turning off the autopilot only during an incident will not solve the problem

The crux is that Boeing engineered in a single point failure mode. Although both the pilot and copilot have independent angle of attack indicators, the MCAS only uses input from one and does not have a comparator function. In the case of the Lion Air, I have read reports that the captain's AOA indicator was indicating 20 degrees nose up in the FDR data while the airplane was taxiing on the ground. If those reports are correct, the root cause is going to be a faulty indicator that acted up on several previous legs and that Lion Air MX failed to trouble shoot and fix. A secondary factor is the nature of data used to drive the MCAS, but the system would not have activated if the AOA indicator was functioning correctly. The airplane likely shouldn't have been certified with the system as configured, but it isn't some shadowy conspiracy between Boeing and the FAA to certify a dangerous aircraft.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...-sensor-replaced-before-737-max-crash-453455/
    Angle-of-attack sensor replaced before 737 Max crash

Indonesia's National Transportation Safety Committee says an angle-of-attack sensor on the ill-fated Lion Air Boeing 737 Max 8 had been replaced a day before it crashed.

The committee says the sensor was replaced in Denpasar on 28 October, after pilots reported issues with the airspeed indicator.

Downloaded information from the recovered flight data recorder found that there was a "different [reading] on the angle-of-attack indicator" during a Denpasar-Jakarta flight on 28 October.

After the replacement, however, pilots that flew a Denpasar-Jakarta flight still found a 20° difference on the left-hand angle-of-attack sensor. During this flight, the pilots implemented "a number of procedures" to rectify the issues, and the jet subsequently landed in Jakarta safely.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/riskfacto...leases-preliminary-report-into-lion-air-crash
    Indonesia Releases Preliminary Report on Lion Air Crash

The Indonesian National Transportation Safety Committee this week released its preliminary report [PDF] into the crash on 29 October of Lion Air flight JT610 near Jakarta.

The report indicates that the pilots of flight JT610 encountered difficulties immediately upon takeoff. The left (pilot’s) control column stick shaker activated during takeoff, and continued for the whole flight. The stick shaker warns the pilot that the aircraft is entering a stall condition.

The activated stick shaker was most likely caused by erroneous inputs received by the flight-control computer by a faulty angle of attack (AoA) sensor on the pilot’s side of the aircraft, while the sensor on the copilot’s side apparently was fine. The recovered digital flight-data recorder revealed a difference between the angle of attack logged on the left and right sensors of about 20 degrees that began during ground taxi and continued throughout the flight, the report indicated.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I hope Boeing didn't know about the issue before this all happened.

Well, if Boeing is the one monitoring Boeing for any faults in Boeing's systems, then Boeing would be in the best position to find those kinds of faults and get Boeing to fix them.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Based on the statements and communications back in November 2018, I think it is pretty clear that Boeing did know about this possibility but it was considered a very remote possibility.

The planes should never achieve the angle of attack required to kick in the MCAS system. And indeed the planes actually never did achieve that angle of attack. It was the faulty sensors that fooled the system into thinking it was about to stall and it was programmed to take automatic action to lower the nose of the plane. That would have been the appropriate action if the sensors were correct.

There were quite a few things that went wrong.
    Boeing decided not to fully document the MCAS system since it should never actually be used.
    The angle of attack sensors seem pretty unreliable.
    The maintenance of the angle of attack sensors is poor after reports of issues with them.
    The MCAS system only uses one angle of attack sensor from the pilot side instead of using information from the sensors on both sides.
    Their were not enough simulators available to properly train pilots in the US let alone foreign pilots.
    The FAA seemed pretty lax in their evaluation - pretty much whatever Boeing said they went along with.

It seems like this whole mess would have been avoided if only Boeing would not have made the very poor decision to not document the MCAS system completely - including when it was appropriate to simply turn it off.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    For years the media has forgotten the old rule that you shouldn't crap where you eat.

Big media has taken the position in modern society of the catholic church in medieval europe. As the ultimate arbitrators of right and wrong, they cannot be wrong, therefore if you disagree with them, you are worse than wrong. You are not only ignorant but a heretic, a non-believer. Those who speak out against big media positions are apostates. Parts of the leadership aristocracy that go along with them are rewarded and supported, those that oppose are excommunicated.

I see this in statements made by big media usually when caught by surprise, they don't adapt or rethink their position. You just here the shrill dogmatic scream about "stupid people coming out to vote". All that's missing is the spittle.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Big media has taken the position in modern society of the catholic church in medieval europe. As the ultimate arbitrators of right and wrong, they cannot be wrong, therefore if you disagree with them, you are worse than wrong. You are not only ignorant but a heretic, a non-believer. Those who speak out against big media positions are apostates. Parts of the leadership aristocracy that go along with them are rewarded and supported, those that oppose are excommunicated.

I see this in statements made by big media usually when caught by surprise, they don't adapt or rethink their position. You just here the shrill dogmatic scream about "stupid people coming out to vote". All that's missing is the spittle.

Rep sent +1.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Well, if Boeing is the one monitoring Boeing for any faults in Boeing's systems, then Boeing would be in the best position to find those kinds of faults and get Boeing to fix them.

With a significant fraction of the MAX8's operated in North America (and thus a high proportion of total legs flown), and no reports of inappropriate actual MCAS activation that I'm aware of; one could draw a somewhat different conclusion

Perhaps one should carefully consider flying on a low cost airline incorporated in a third world country where maintenance is so sketchy that serious flight control problems on multiple previous legs are inadequately addressed and the aircraft is returned to service without the problem being found or fixed

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Looks like a little less than 25%(92 of 381) are in NA.

So far we have a possible flaw in programming and some unknown number of apparently bad sensors. Again, I hope Boeing did not know about either before this. If they did, they are going to be in big trouble.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Looks like a little less than 25%(92 of 381) are in NA.

So far we have a possible flaw in programming and some unknown number of apparently bad sensors. Again, I hope Boeing did not know about either before this. If they did, they are going to be in big trouble.

So, there's a bit of circularity, right? Boeing didn't even tell anyone about MCAS (other than possibly in a 1 hour iPad presentation), so they can - honestly - say that there were no reports about an MCAS problem. Now, there were reports of nose-down autonomous movements of the aircraft, but there was no reported link to MCAS. *coff coff*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom