The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Trump grounding all 737 MAX -8s and -9s in US airspace.

Ouch.

That's going to be a problem, and a political one.

Look, if there's a safety issue, absolutely do something about it. But after defending the 737s, this looks funky.

He was criticized for NOT grounding them, and now FOR grounding them? Some people just want to find fault with him. They were interviewing the head of the FAA this morning on the news (just now). He emphasized that they base their decisions on data, and that until they had that data, they weren't going to ground the planes. Now that they have seen the data, they made the decision to ground them. As nonobaddog said, that is exactly how it should work.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...China jumped on the opportunity to ground the planes just as soon as possible because of their political agenda and their financial incentive in trying to promote their own brand of planes.

China has a final assembly plant for these planes that are built for their market.

Boeing delivers first 737 jet from completion center in China

Fuselages are all built in Wichita, then to shipped to Renton, Washington. Once flyable, some go on to Zhoushan, China to get the interiors finished and a paint job.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    He was criticized for NOT grounding them, and now FOR grounding them? Some people just want to find fault with him. They were interviewing the head of the FAA this morning on the news (just now). He emphasized that they base their decisions on data, and that until they had that data, they weren't going to ground the planes. Now that they have seen the data, they made the decision to ground them. As nonobaddog said, that is exactly how it should work.
    He should have let the FAA make the announcement. There was no reason for him to stick himself into the whole thing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    China has a final assembly plant for these planes that are built for their market.

Boeing delivers first 737 jet from completion center in China

Fuselages are all built in Wichita, then to shipped to Renton, Washington. Once flyable, some go on to Zhoushan, China to get the interiors finished and a paint job.

Airbus, Boeing's main competitor, is a consortium of contractors based in western europe. Coincidently many of those same countries rushed to ground the MAX8

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    NBC reported this morning that the black boxes from the Ethiopian crash were recovered, but damaged. To have them analyzed, they sent the boxes to... France.

I havta admire the strategy that led to that decision.

Well played, Airbus. Well played.

As an aside, I see the prejudice towards "pilot error" remains strong in the FAA and US aviation community generally. Pilots reporting issues with hardware/software/firmware/mechanicals? Pilot's fault. They think they know everything. They report things inaccurately. Millions (billions?) of dollars were spent on that aircraft and pilots can't be trusted about what happens when the thing is actually in the air.

Sorry, a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    NBC reported this morning that the black boxes from the Ethiopian crash were recovered, but damaged. To have them analyzed, they sent the boxes to... France.

I havta admire the strategy that led to that decision.

Well played, Airbus. Well played.

As an aside, I see the prejudice towards "pilot error" remains strong in the FAA and US aviation community generally. Pilots reporting issues with hardware/software/firmware/mechanicals? Pilot's fault. They think they know everything. They report things inaccurately. Millions (billions?) of dollars were spent on that aircraft and pilots can't be trusted about what happens when the thing is actually in the air.

Sorry, a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

From what I heard about the Ethiopian plane, the pilots weren't even aware of the MCAS (some automated thingy - IANAP) system or that they had the capability to override it if it started acting wonky like it did. Is that a training issue, or a Boeing issue? Or both? Seems like when a new model of plane comes out, all pilots flying the new models should be thoroughly trained on every aspect of the cockpit controls and computer assisted/controlled functions, including any failsafe overrides available to them. :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    From what I heard about the Ethiopian plane, the pilots weren't even aware of the MCAS (some automated thingy - IANAP) system or that they had the capability to override it if it started acting wonky like it did. Is that a training issue, or a Boeing issue? Or both? Seems like when a new model of plane comes out, all pilots flying the new models should be thoroughly trained on every aspect of the cockpit controls and computer assisted/controlled functions, including any failsafe overrides available to them. :dunno:

Acting FAA dude this morning said that it wasn't a training issue because the pilots didn't need trained on it because it only engages in a narrow flight regime.

[He sure picked the wrong day to give up meth.]

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Acting FAA dude this morning said that it wasn't a training issue because the pilots didn't need trained on it because it only engages in a narrow flight regime.

[He sure picked the wrong day to give up meth.]

That doesn't make sense at all. They need to rethink that stance or they will just look stupid.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Very possibly both. If it is related to the earlier reports of issues that were overcome by the pilots.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Be interesting to see what our new (impeach the mother****er) congresswoman Rashida Tlaib has to say about the rockets Palestine just sent into Isreal, eh?

Likely interesting commentary from the Omar woman also?

:popcorn:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Chinese government intent on being all-powerful centralized authority able and willing to tell its people how to live every aspect of their lives while surveilling them to insure compliance. I predict the response of progressives will be "What's not to like"

I think it's possible that such conditions might breed the Sardaukar of hackers, though

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If you take central planning to its logical conclusion then people become little more than state owned resources to achieve the goals of the state.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom