The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thoughts? I think there is some truth here.

[video=youtube;UFWE2jl5mwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWE2jl5mwA[/video]

Spot on about Trump's appeal, and Hillary's ignoring those people.

Lots of good points but he's forgetting one thing,

Always follow the money...

Leadership does.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A little too simplistic, and a whiff of the usual self-serving RealRepublican® schtick

Pro free market and pro trade can't be given a green checkmark until mercantilism (esp. the ChiCom variety) has been dealt a hammer blow

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/technology/iphones-apple-china-made.html
    A Tiny Screw Shows Why iPhones Won’t Be ‘Assembled in U.S.A.’

Read that article and then tell me I'm wrong, because what I get from it is Apple wants to take no responsibility for enabling assembly in the US (such as working with the business tapped within the story line to ramp up production by providing stable long term contracts) but instead appears to wish to make a half-hearted attempt and then say it's too hard and go back to doing what they were doing. We have to deal with the likely fact that the ChiCom government would underwrite the cost of the Chinese screw company's 'nimbleness' and government controlled banks would make sure it felt no profitability pressure in order to maintain the Apple contract. The situation reminds me of American firms lamenting a lack of skilled workers in certain esoteric domains but being willing to do nothing to solve the problem (such as apprentice programs)

One should not back free markets that aren't really free nor trade that isn't free trade. I think we have to get those two parameters balanced with the national interest, not just the corporate interest, before we talk about post-modern conservatism of any type.

Popularism can have overlap (Venn diagram style) with conservatism (small 'c') but won't get close to 1:1 anytime soon

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Of course it's simplistic...it's a 5 minute video, not a doctoral dissertation.

And as for free market and free trade, it's not like those concepts are binary, either on or off. One can be pro-both and still want some level of regulation to deal with specific situations (China being one, I would assume)...which is what the video said.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Of course it's simplistic...it's a 5 minute video, not a doctoral dissertation.

And as for free market and free trade, it's not like those concepts are binary, either on or off. One can be pro-both and still want some level of regulation to deal with specific situations (China being one, I would assume)...which is what the video said.

Then perhaps it can be said we agree on the problems but not the order they need to addressed in, I think we assure fair before we worry about free. I see nothing wrong with America First (spare me the Lindberghian canard)

Edit: I'd be much more comfortable listening to a Canadian on smart immigration policies than on what it means to be a 'real' (or perhaps 'true) conservative

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Wouldn't it make more sense to get the little screws made wherever they could - yes, even china - rather than moving the whole damn plant to where the little screws are made?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I believe their claim is that if they needed to change specs on the little screws next week, the ChiComs would be better able and faster to accommodate the change (not to mention being able to drive their workers so hard that they need to put up anti-suicide nets)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Rep. Ilhan Omar facing new scrutiny over past effort to win leniency for 9 men accused of trying to join ISIS

On the House Foreign Affairs committee...

694940094001_5991064127001_5991057701001-vs.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    She's part of running this country. :dunno:

Along with the "we're gonna impeach the mother****er," new Palestinian congresswoman, on the oversight committee. :rolleyes:

rashida-tlaib-michigan-congress-nomination1.jpg

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No. For asking for aid and comfort for an enemy of the United States and an enemy of humanity. That isn't stupid, it is closer to treason. But saying it is just stupid is pretty stupid.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    For asking for something stupid? There wouldn't be very many people left in the US, if we started kicking people out for stupid opinions.

If you consider what the islamic state does to women under their rule, you think this woman would have little sympathy for men trying to join that group. Either she is just unconditionally compassionate, or...something else. Apparently we like to elect all kinds of crazy these days.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you consider what the islamic state does to women under their rule, you think this woman would have little sympathy for men trying to join that group. Either she is just unconditionally compassionate, or...something else. Apparently we like to elect all kinds of crazy these days.

Fyi, I'm not agreeing in the slightest with her looniness.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom