The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "On Sunday, Mr Trump said the senator, a 2020 presidential hopeful, should have filmed a commercial "from Bighorn or Wounded Knee" in "full Indian garb".
    Wounded Knee was one of the worst native massacres in US history.

Native Americans have decried Mr Trump's language, calling it insensitive and racist."

The only thing I see wrong with the tweet is that Trump isn't just a playboy billionaire. Some other things come to mind:

• It was funny, of course insensitive, and probably offensive. Definitely NOT racist. But it's more like a truth which should be left to comedians to say, since they get to be as brutally honest as they'd like.
    • Presidents shouldn't tweet such things. It would be good if Trump could act like he's at least half-assed grown up. He could be a comedian possibly, but that's not the job title he has right now.
    • The history of how horrible Wounded Knee was, is irrelevant. The tweet wasn't about Wounded Knee. It wasn't even about Native Americans. It was about mocking a woman running for President who checked some boxes in order to get some unearned intersectional privilege points.
    • I'm not surprised Native Americans would be offended by it, even though it wasn't about them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'd say it was definitely in poor taste. I don't think it was racist.

To be clear, I'm not sure what he said was racist - I think it was a dick thing to say.

(I think he may be "racist" in the old-fashioned way that older people of nearly his generation are: they are just used to looking at people as different races and stereotyping them that way. Not in the neo-nazi/white supremacist way.)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To be clear, I'm not sure what he said was racist - I think it was a dick thing to say.

(I think he may be "racist" in the old-fashioned way that older people of nearly his generation are: they are just used to looking at people as different races and stereotyping them that way. Not in the neo-nazi/white supremacist way.)
    The mocking is justified. So not dickish per se. What makes it dickish is that he’s the potus.

As for racism, I don’t think Trump is any more racist than the average American. And that amounts to the human nature level of racism which one must consciously override. It’s been my observation that many of the people who claim that he’s a racist are more racist than he manifests.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The mocking is justified. So not dickish per se. What makes it dickish is that he’s the potus.

As for racism, I don’t think Trump is any more racist than the average American. And that amounts to the human nature level of racism which one must consciously override. It’s been my observation that many of the people who claim that he’s a racist are more racist than he manifests.

I think the Wounded Knee reference is either ignorance or dickish.

The closest modern corollary I can think of is if someone told a gun rights advocate to hold a press conference at Ruby Ridge or the Davidian compound.

And, I think there's a generational thing in the US that amounts to more than just the human-nature default to generalize people. That's actually a defense of him. Trump is at the tail end of a generation in which racial attributes were more observational than emotional. Some of my most dear family members are part of that generation, too. That's just the way they were raised.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    And, I think there's a generational thing in the US that amounts to more than just the human-nature default to generalize people. That's actually a defense of him. Trump is at the tail end of a generation in which racial attributes were more observational than emotional. Some of my most dear family members are part of that generation, too. That's just the way they were raised.

You are doing the same generalization thing about a whole generation. Must just be the way you were raised.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You are doing the same generalization thing about a whole generation. Must just be the way you were raised.

To accept people the way they are... why yes, yes indeed.

Which is why I recognize and accept that Trump is a narcissistic douchebag. ;)

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

It's dickish, not towards Warren, but to the people (Sioux Nation) that event effected. Anytime one makes light of such a solemn event, it kinda makes you a dick. And for the record, I've done it before too, so I'm not on any high horse. If someone claimed to be Jewish, and wasn't, making jokes about them wearing a Star of David, and taking a shower, would probably fall on the dickish end of the spectrum.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

He's not wrong though. Americans have traditionally been "my specific group" identifiers, when they didn't have the time to band together and kill non-Americans. :dunno:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

You really don't understand what I'm saying, do you?

Ah, the old "you don't understand" ploy. You are probably right. Tell me more about this "generational thing in the US that amounts to more than just the human-nature default to generalize people". I always like to learn more about my generation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ah, the old "you don't understand" ploy. You are probably right. Tell me more about this "generational thing in the US that amounts to more than just the human-nature default to generalize people". I always like to learn more about my generation.

Have you ever referred to a black person as "negro" because that is the "polite" term?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have seen the preferred term discussed and changed several times over the years. What is that supposed to tell me?

That you didn't answer the question. ;)

Again, I'm absolutely NOT judging the people of a certain age who have used that term. Indeed, before a certain time in our country (that timing probably depends on what part of the country), that WAS the polite term.

But, that's a useful barometer of what generation you are. ;)

This isn't playing "gotcha." Not everyone who used/uses that word deserves to be in the same category as the neo-nazi/white supremacists who use that word.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have seen the preferred term discussed and changed several times over the years. What is that supposed to tell me?

Well, at least for me, acceptance of that word depends on the age of the person saying it. While generally it's considered, today, to be offensive, the younger you are, the less acceptable it is. Older people 70+, of a certain generation, get a pass, because while still offensive, their intent is to be polite (mostly). The same applies to "colored."

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've seen my Grandma use the term as one of politeness and respect, but she was born in 1909 and died in 2001.

What are we talking about here?

I'll somewhat defer to Kut on this, but I think that 70+ age is about right. Trump is 72 (after a quick google search).

I would even give the benefit of the doubt to people a bit younger than that who come from certain backgrounds.

That 90+ crowd gets a free pass from me on all sorts of things. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom