The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Foreign vs. domestic issue aside, it seems odd that paying someone money to make a candidate look bad (falsely) could be okay, but paying someone money to keep a candidate from looking bad is not. Two sides of the same coin it would seem to me. If Hoffman was Trump's buddy and had done this to a Democrat candidate, I'm betting he would have been in Mueller's crosshairs by now, and I doubt that a simple apology would've been enough to let him off the hook. I guess we'll have to see what comes of it, if anything.

If I, unaffiliated with any campaign, talk about how bad Trump is during his election campaign, that's not a problem. Heck - many INGOers helped Trump's campaign. :) Nothing wrong with that - even if it involves blatant lies or coverups.

One of the keys to an investigation like that - from the Federal Election Commission perspective - is whether there was coordination with the campaign. If there was, and it wasn't reported as an in-kind campaign contribution, then laws were probably violated.

Presumably, the campaigning INGOers didn't have any coordination with the Trump campaign, so there's no problem.

Same for me. If I say all sort of bad things about Trump, even if they are false, without coordination from another campaign, there's no problem from the FEC perspective. There could be issues of defamation, but honestly - I don't even need to make up bad stuff about Trump because there's plenty of true bad stuff. ;)

So for bazillionaire dude, if he wants to spend his money spreading manure about Roy Moore, he can kinda do that as long as it isn't connected to the campaign of Moore's opponent(s). Now, there's a ton of FEC rules about what organizations can do, and I'm not nearly familiar enough with all those to know whether bazillionaire dude ran afoul of them. But, an investigation should be able to figure that out.

I'm just describing the general parameters of how it works.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The facts and legalities don't really matter. For the dems the ends justify the means. So if the means are going toward the left end then they are fine and nothing needs to be looked into. However if the means are going toward the conservative end then they need investigating. And if you look hard enough for a couple years, well maybe you can find something or make up something you can prosecute.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That would be a hilarious irony - if Mueller ended up indicting a bunch of Dem operatives for FEC violations.

giphy.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I, unaffiliated with any campaign, talk about how bad Trump is during his election campaign, that's not a problem. Heck - many INGOers helped Trump's campaign. :) Nothing wrong with that - even if it involves blatant lies or coverups.

One of the keys to an investigation like that - from the Federal Election Commission perspective - is whether there was coordination with the campaign. If there was, and it wasn't reported as an in-kind campaign contribution, then laws were probably violated.

Presumably, the campaigning INGOers didn't have any coordination with the Trump campaign, so there's no problem.

Same for me. If I say all sort of bad things about Trump, even if they are false, without coordination from another campaign, there's no problem from the FEC perspective. There could be issues of defamation, but honestly - I don't even need to make up bad stuff about Trump because there's plenty of true bad stuff. ;)

So for bazillionaire dude, if he wants to spend his money spreading manure about Roy Moore, he can kinda do that as long as it isn't connected to the campaign of Moore's opponent(s). Now, there's a ton of FEC rules about what organizations can do, and I'm not nearly familiar enough with all those to know whether bazillionaire dude ran afoul of them. But, an investigation should be able to figure that out.

I'm just describing the general parameters of how it works.
    They’re all connected.

:tinfoil:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The facts and legalities don't really matter. For the dems the ends justify the means. So if the means are going toward the left end then they are fine and nothing needs to be looked into. However if the means are going toward the conservative end then they need investigating. And if you look hard enough for a couple years, well maybe you can find something or make up something you can prosecute.
    This seems to be true. It’s what happens when you’re so wrapped up in your own faux morality that you imagine you’re in some kind of resistance movement, where any means is justified.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OK, so I let this lay for a day, and still don't understand. what is astroturfed., in the context of this thread?

p.s. I'm not as learned as you, so please be gentle.

“Astroturfing” is faking a movement as grass-roots. In this context, the left has faked the need for a resistance to suck people into supporting it. It’s like the viral video of the delusional vaping store clerk. He thinks he’s actually #resisting Nazis. All that stuff is fake. The #resist movement is real in that people are #resisting, but is based on a lie. They think it’s a grassroots movement of the people fighting the fascist president who stole the whitehouse.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For all the MSM ridicule that was deposited with regard to the GOP debate craziness with 12+ podiums on the dais, the Dem version is going to be ... interesting.

We'll get to watch the mirror-image devolution of the left like what happened with the right.

Now, what could get REALLY interesting is if a showbiz celebrity joined the chorus. Sounds like there could be a few in the running. That would provide a twist worthy of William Sydney Porter.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    For all the MSM ridicule that was deposited with regard to the GOP debate craziness with 12+ podiums on the dais, the Dem version is going to be ... interesting.

We'll get to watch the mirror-image devolution of the left like what happened with the right.

Now, what could get REALLY interesting is if a showbiz celebrity joined the chorus. Sounds like there could be a few in the running. That would provide a twist worthy of William Sydney Porter.

I'm guessing Oprah would be a shoe-in. Seriously.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oprah looks pretty shiny, but maybe not so much after the heathens running against her out all of her skeletons? Remember the Kavanagh hearing???

She also did not pull off a victory for that silly loon in Georgia that she campaigned for.

RAUKE2G6UMI6RNZSHRZMX4JR6I.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I can't think of any skeletons that would compare to those in Trump's closet(s)... yet here we are.

If Trump has proven anything, it is that the electorate is willing to support shiny celebrities that lack political experience.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oprah looks pretty shiny, but maybe not so much after the heathens running against her out all of her skeletons? Remember the Kavanagh hearing???

She also did not pull off a victory for that silly loon in Georgia that she campaigned for.

RAUKE2G6UMI6RNZSHRZMX4JR6I.jpg

You're clear that we're talking about Georgia right? I honestly thought a black woman running for governor there, would be smashed. Absolutely-completely-obliterated. The result. 50.2/48.8... I found that result amazing. If I had been asked to make a prediction, I would've had it around 60/40 at best. If Oprah had a hand in that (which I think her influence, personally, was minor), then one should be absolutely shook at the idea of her running (which I doubt).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom