• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    What's wrong with just vocalizing? Something like "I have a gun. Cops are on the way. Get the F out." Seems more effective in getting the point accross than some car horn in the driveway/street/garage....

One night many moons ago in a previous house the wifey woke to some noise, and she woke me quite certain someone was in the house. I belted out something similar, not even sure if someone was in the house, but hoping I would either hear them leave, or draw them into the narrow stairwell I was covering w/ the firearm. Hearing no sounds after 2-3 minutes I concluded no-one was there, THEN cleared the house for peace of mind. If I had some car horn blaring the whole time, I'd have no way to listen for hints as to a potential intruder's location/intention.

For me, this panic button theory rates right up there w/ rape whistles and self-induced vomitting.

-rvb

ps. I would like to find the person that invented panic buttons and b-slap them. They provide no security, and are always going off when you don't want them to. I've been tempted to take my fobs apart and disable mine.

So the guy can trip over something in your house and sue you for some fake injury?

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Scare them away? Seriously? I would not risk myself nor my family to spare the life of someone that has invaded my home. There are several possible outcomes to this situation, nearly all of them involve someone getting carried out. It comes down to it being the intruder or my loved ones/myself. If I can help decide the outcome it doesn't look to good for the invader. Dead as disco.

:ar15:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Scare them away? Seriously? I would not risk myself nor my family to spare the life of someone that has invaded my home. There are several possible outcomes to this situation, nearly all of them involve someone getting carried out. It comes down to it being the intruder or my loved ones/myself. If I can help decide the outcome it doesn't look to good for the invader. Dead as disco
    :ar15:
    i would like to think scaring them off would be a better option, no need for a curious child to hear a loud blast and go investigating only to find a dead body, i am pretty sure that would scar them for life, remember, walking away with your life is your first priority, no matter what the means used to do so.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Scare them away? Seriously? I would not risk myself nor my family to spare the life of someone that has invaded my home. There are several possible outcomes to this situation, nearly all of them involve someone getting carried out. It comes down to it being the intruder or my loved ones/myself. If I can help decide the outcome it doesn't look to good for the invader. Dead as disco.

i would like to think scaring them off would be a better option, no need for a curious child to hear a loud blast and go investigating only to find a dead body, i am pretty sure that would scar them for life, remember, walking away with your life is your first priority, no matter what the means used to do so.

Or the inevitable legal fallout. Sure, you're cleared by the DA, but what about a wrongful death lawsuit by the family? What about the emotional trauma to your own family?

Some people seem to have a bloodlust when it comes to home invasions, me, I just want to do whatever it takes to protect my family. And that means doing whatever I can to protect them from a situation where I have to shoot.

:twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How is this "best"? A home alarm would be all around better for the intended purpose.

Its instantly activated as soon as entry is made, no waiting for you to have to wake up, fumble, etc.

It requires no action on your part. It alerts you and your family to the intruder immediately so you can start putting your plan into action without delay.

It starts emergency services without further action on your part. You can concentrate on defending your family instead of screwing with the phone.

Its way louder. I've set off my back door alarm by accident and even knowing what it was it startles you.

If hooked to an outside strobe, it helps first responders identify your house.

Dual purpose of also being able to alert you to a fire or to summon Fire/EMS with a push button.

The car alarm remote's only advantage is "cheap".

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    NO - DOES NOT WORK. It is a good idea but certainly nothing to count on.

About 11 years ago an elderly man, Don, live 3 doors down from me. He had an alarm on his house, with get this a very large horn in the attic. When an intruder broke into his house the alarm went off. The alarm could easily be heard the entire length of the block we live on. Guess what? The intruder had time to put a blanket over the old man's head, beat him, interrogate him as to the location of his valuables, rob him and get away clean before anyone intervened. And forget the cops, by the time they showed up it was well over. Cops can not protect you they can only respond when they get a call.

Having layered security is a very good idea. Good lighting, good locks, alarms etc. But bottom line, it comes down to you and the bad guy facing off. The best defense is you being able and willing to physically defend yourself.

I think its always worth a shot while still having a gun in hand. i don't think the op was proposing that we all sell our guns to buy a car alarm/house alarm. Rather a first line of defense to avoid violent confrontation... if it can be.

Some of you who say that a firearm is the only way, quite honestly surprise me. In a lot of situations it may be. I know, thats one of the reasons i own firearms, but what is wrong with testing a situation first?

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I didn't read the whole thread, so feel free to tell me if someone already said this. Using a car alarm is a stupid idea (I know this has been said). When someone breaks in, I prefer to look at my advantages.

1) The intruder most likely does not know exactly where I am or if I'm awake. The intruder can guess, but that's good. Jingling car keys and then using a car alarm will definitely inform them that someone is awake and could even give off your position. Hell no.

2) I know my home better than anyone. The sounds, where to step to be quiet, the places where it would be difficult to see me, etc. A car alarm would mask footsteps and such. Again, hell no.

3) It's my house and I'm going to protect it. My will gives me an advantage.

I have no problem waiting patiently for the intruder to get comfortable or pass my by. Once you enter my home in that manner, you forfeit your life. I will not attempt to frighten you off. I don't care if you have a weapon or not. :twocents:.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    For me, the car horn isn't a viable option. For one, the cars are parked too far away from where the bedroom is for it to work. Anyway, the car horn wouldn't be heard over the barking of our little (but loud) dogs. Our dogs would not pose a danger to an intruder, but they would make sure I knew he was there, most likely before he even got into the house.

I do like the idea of a bright light(s) in my front room that I could turn on from the bedroom, even if the power was cut. At a time that you need to make a very fast judgement about who someone who's in your house, it just seems like a good idea to be able to light the place up, if you want.

I believe that home security should be designed for each person and his/her home situation so that you maximize your options and minimize an intruder's.

I don't know what it would take for me to shoot, but I'd rather be the one who gets to decide.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    A novel idea. However, being backed up by a plan which would involve the bad guy crapping his pants works better. I would humbly suggest something in at least .45 caliber or larger.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    To all who have responded, I titled this video as "The BEST" because I have a buddy who HATES when people post youtube videos with "the BEST" in the title. I guess I should change it, the joke is over. It is A WAY, as part of a layered security approach, to scare off a home invader. I am not against using a firearm to thwart a home invader. I, personally, have been on the business end of a gun. I wasn't shot but nonetheless have had a gun pointed at me with someone saying " I'll kill you motherf##ker". It was also followed by "get in the freezer"(I worked at a fast food joint). And this was a week after the Brown's Chicken Massacre. This experience has set the tone for my life on the subject of self defense. It has also given me insight into what it might be like to take someone else's life. Not to take away from folks here that have been forced to defend themselves with deadly force or our military brethren that may have taken lives, but I feel that it is not as easy as many of you boast it to be. I would consider taking another's life, no matter how justified, as a very serious matter. In my thinking taking another life would have serious consequences on one's psyche, no matter how justified. I feel that it should be the last resort. I only offer this video as ONE of the ways you can avoid a life or death confrontation.

That being said I also offered a video somewhere in this thread on some considerations if it ever comes to pass that you do have to make the decision to take another's life. I guess it didn't make it that far. Maybe I will post it in another thread.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I think its always worth a shot while still having a gun in hand. i don't think the op was proposing that we all sell our guns to buy a car alarm/house alarm. Rather a first line of defense to avoid violent confrontation... if it can be.

Some of you who say that a firearm is the only way, quite honestly surprise me. In a lot of situations it may be. I know, thats one of the reasons i own firearms, but what is wrong with testing a situation first?

For the area I live in as far as I am concerned Don was the test case. I have seen first hand the human filth around here stand up to armed police and not back down. Personally I would not waste time grabbing anything but my weapon. Perhaps if you have time before they actually make entry and you have already armed yourself you might try it. But I would use that time to call 911.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I just call my Mother-in-law put the phone on speaker. After a few minutes of hearing her yap , the intruder will run screaming into the night stabbing at there ear drums with an ice pick.

oh man repped for that 4am with the flu this gave me a good laugh.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom