• ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    And I'll still stick with my 230 gr. JHP

The wife's defense weapon is a Mossy 500 with an 18.5 inch barrel loaded with 6 shells of #4 Buckshot.

She can't hit crap outside of 30 foot, but I pity the fool who reaches the bedroom doorway @ 15 feet from her side of the bed, the last torso target she shot at that range was obliterated.:wrongdoor:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I encourage you to try that the next time a thug hopped up on meth is breaking in your home....let us know how it turns out. Do some drills of you being in bed and have someone up the door and run to your room.....amazing how fast they can get there. Especially because when you are in a deep sleep there will be an obviously delay between you hearing the noise...waking up and being battle ready. I'm not wasting any precious seconds looking for keys so I can hook the horn.

But what if he not "hopped up on meth" but is just looking to make a quick score of a couple of game machines and other quick sellers he can find rummaging downstairs. After all, why should he go upstairs and possibly wake the homeonwers?

What if you are huddled up in your room waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting for him to show up?. Is there nothing else other than a firearm that you can think of to defend your family? No other possible way that you can use to resolve the situation other than having bullets flying in the very home that your family lives in?

We can play the "what ifs" game all day long and I guarantee you'll lose on 99 percent of the ones I come up with. A gun is not a magic wand.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I had heard good reports on a barking dog alarm, dont remember how it was activated but a remote control Large barkin snarlin dog speaker might be a very good addition to any security layer. As long as the sound quality isnt crap the Gobblin will be looking for that dog for at least a moment.
    Sorry that bit of on subject info made my peter shrink a little so, I'D LET LOOSE MY DOUBLE BARREL 10 GA ON THAT FOOL. Ok its back to normal now, carry on.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    But what if he not "hopped up on meth" but is just looking to make a quick score of a couple of game machines and other quick sellers he can find rummaging downstairs. After all, why should he go upstairs and possibly wake the homeonwers?

What if you are huddled up in your room waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting for him to show up?. Is there nothing else other than a firearm that you can think of to defend your family? No other possible way that you can use to resolve the situation other than having bullets flying in the very home that your family lives in?

We can play the "what ifs" game all day long and I guarantee you'll lose on 99 percent of the ones I come up with. A gun is not a magic wand.

Who said I had an upstairs? Who said I planned on waiting on him while he robbed my house? And who said that a gun was the only options. I have lots of options (dog, motion flood lights, security system, martial arts black belt, etc.) I'm not saying I'm just going to start shooting at everything that moves...but if someone comes in I'm not honking a horn....the alarm will be going off....dog going wild....and at minimum someone's getting an a$$ beating. I just think a car horn isn't a good option.

grand champ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    I had a PBT alarm installed over adt. My 60# pit bull terrier gets an instant mohawk on his back if a mouse farts outside. That being said,my g19 is always nearby. While the car alarm idea mite be useful ,I'm still grabbing my firearm first

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    But what about we who don't drive the new-fangled vehicles? None of my 5 vehicles have panic buttons on the keys. Only one ever has.

I prefer the Middle Ages head on a pike as a warning option.

^^^This.

For centuries the best way to scare of intruders was dead bodies of your enemies strewn about or impaled along the side of the road heading in to town.

A famous line from Shotgunworld.com was "The only sound I want a home invader to hear is the gates of hell closing behind him." This was in reference to using the sound of a racked 12ga to "scare" of an invader.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My daily driver is parked under and attached car port by the kitchen window. It is enclosed save for the point of entry. I tried the panic button last night just for the heck of it. It really is annoying in the house no matter where you are. If used at the proper time it would either divert an intruder or disorient them giving us a better chance at defense. I am adding this trick to the list of things to do.
    In my situation this is a good idea.

RTroy29035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    An excellent idea. just one more tool that most people have and may have never though about using. If one has the time to use this method prior to having to use "deadly force" it is a great option to have.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    If you watched until the end I suggested that you keep your SPARE remote with your gun. The idea comes from a study of criminals (I would have to find it again) where thousands of criminals were studied for their behaviors. It was found that doing something like this would scare most of them off. I said most. Life is a play on probabilities.

If you keep your key in your vault, safe, whatever you get two benefits (at least for me). The first is what is mentioned in the video. The second is you always know where your spare keys are.

As far as it working, test it. Bring the remote to where you will access it and see if it works, multiple times. Even if it doesn't work, if you kept it with your gun you still can blast away.

Please, do.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Who said I had an upstairs? Who said I planned on waiting on him while he robbed my house? And who said that a gun was the only options. I have lots of options (dog, motion flood lights, security system, martial arts black belt, etc.) I'm not saying I'm just going to start shooting at everything that moves...but if someone comes in I'm not honking a horn....the alarm will be going off....dog going wild....and at minimum someone's getting an a$$ beating. I just think a car horn isn't a good option.

If you can imagaine hopped up methheads then I can imagine two story homes.

And now you're posting more reasonable than previously, where you sounded as if you dismissed anything but a gun as a solution.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Have a dog. If that fails, shoot him in the face...repeatedly if the opportunity lends itself.

Why would you want to shoot your dog repeatedly in the face just because he wasn't as effective as you desired? Do you think this is going to make him do a better job next time?

I swear, some people....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But what about we who don't drive the new-fangled vehicles? None of my 5 vehicles have panic buttons on the keys. Only one ever has.

I prefer the Middle Ages head on a pike as a warning option.

Ditto. I don't even have power doors. Or even doors!

EDIT: I do have a remote control looking for a project...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry, I'm not going to put my life in the hands of a horn tooting hoping it will "scare" an intruder away. My carpet could use replacing anyways.

Don't think of it as a replacement for a gun (it's not). Think of it as a "force multiplier". It's another tool in your arsenal, like a flash light and phone and swinging paint cans.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    If you can imagaine hopped up methheads then I can imagine two story homes.

And now you're posting more reasonable than previously, where you sounded as if you dismissed anything but a gun as a solution.

Lol re-read my original post. I didnt even use the word gun once....or was it inferred. I accept your apologies in advance. Thank you!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    What's wrong with just vocalizing? Something like "I have a gun. Cops are on the way. Get the F out." Seems more effective in getting the point accross than some car horn in the driveway/street/garage....

One night many moons ago in a previous house the wifey woke to some noise, and she woke me quite certain someone was in the house. I belted out something similar, not even sure if someone was in the house, but hoping I would either hear them leave, or draw them into the narrow stairwell I was covering w/ the firearm. Hearing no sounds after 2-3 minutes I concluded no-one was there, THEN cleared the house for peace of mind. If I had some car horn blaring the whole time, I'd have no way to listen for hints as to a potential intruder's location/intention.

For me, this panic button theory rates right up there w/ rape whistles and self-induced vomitting.

-rvb

ps. I would like to find the person that invented panic buttons and b-slap them. They provide no security, and are always going off when you don't want them to. I've been tempted to take my fobs apart and disable mine.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom