That didn't last long. ABC Cancels Roseanne after tweet about Obama aid.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As to the Samantha Bee thing...so we're gonna focus on the words she used and not the absurdity of her point which was apparently that Donald Trump is tearing families apart because of immigration policy?

Her supporters heard it, agree and loved it. Her detractors skipped the whole inane point she was making and focussed on words everyone over the age of 9 has heard (and under 9 if your mom draws those kinds of comments).

Mission accomplished, I guess.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's only one policy that matters: profitability.

It seems pretty obvious to me that in many cases, profitability is being trumped by ideology, at least a little. When it comes down to it, profitability will ultimately win. But it's evident that some people are doing things that are less profitable, and they're doing it because of ideology. There's a culture war going on, you know.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, part of me wonders if ABC knew something about the ongoing profitability of the show that made the decision easier.

Compensation takes many forms.

I'm sure an affiliation with HRC opens many doors to deals that might otherwise be closed.

In terms of media companies, IMHO agenda is a function of profit. It is a numbers game. By leaning left, they attract better writers and creative types, who put on "better" shows, and get better ratings by appealing to a larger demographic of viewers, which attracts more marketing dollars.

The new show was YUGELY popular. The decision was easy because the execs are also ideologues. Why did they cancel Last Man Standing, when it was one of the top shows? People are self-interested, and that is why profitability wins most. But self-interest also includes ideological priorities, plus, projecting virtue, is part of that too.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Makes several good points, not all, but I think he hits on the "she's one of us so she's being treated unfair" mentality...which is insane.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/jona...eled-why-trump-supporters-fell-for-her-shtick

Despite what you may have read, Roseanne wasn't about politics. It was a sitcom that got people to pay attention because it treated Red America Trump voters as normal (-ish) human beings. People on the right were desperate to see Republican types portrayed with any sort of sympathy by Hollywood. And so, they latched onto her, and her show, despite the fact that Roseanne Barr isn't any sort of conservative.

They should have known better, because Roseanne isn't just "not any sort of conservative." She is, at best, a vulgarian and, at worst, a cretin. Remember the crotch-grabbing national anthem? Remember her publishing the address of George Zimmerman's parents? Remember her dressing up as Hitler? Or speaking to the Occupy Wall Street protesters? Or running for president with anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan as her running mate? Because those are all things that happened in the very recent past and this isn't even the whole list.

And yet, a bunch of Republican types—including White House social media guy Dan Scavino and the guy he works for (and that guy's son)—all decided that, by gum, Roseanne represented the poor, the disposessed, the great, happily deplorable, Electoral College majority. Because, #ratings…

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, this happened.

I'm on the Nextdoor site because it seems like a good way to keep track of what's going on in the neighborhood without actually talking to neighbors or going outside. But enough about my foibles, one thing that happens is that they post police bulletins.

Turns out, Carmel PD sent out an alert about a theft/fraud investigation and included a picture of an African-American male that is a person of interest. The pic was from a security camera, not a drivers license or booking photo. Kinda looked like the inside of Panera or something.

Anyway, a guy (assuming, based on the common name associated with the post) stated:
    Neighbordoodeleventyone said:
    Its those damn Amish again! These thugs have a sense for vulnerability! And these animals are moving up here fast! Ask for an update from the cops in the Wallmart parking lot! Profiling? You better believe it! Had an Amish guy run at me and my wife in a Carmel store parking lot asking for some crap. When I told him to back it up and lifted my shirt, he ran off! Well, imagine that! Cover not only youre own ass but maybe someone elses wife and kids or a vulnerabe elderly person! Step up!

So.

I don't know this guy. And, he isn't actually in my neighborhood, but is a few neighborhoods over.

I think this post reflects bigotry. What does INGO think? I would put this on par with Roseanne's comments. So, should the guy lose whatever job he has?

Fortunately, he didn't advocate for a warning shot.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So, this happened.

I'm on the Nextdoor site because it seems like a good way to keep track of what's going on in the neighborhood without actually talking to neighbors or going outside. But enough about my foibles, one thing that happens is that they post police bulletins.

Turns out, Carmel PD sent out an alert about a theft/fraud investigation and included a picture of an African-American male that is a person of interest. The pic was from a security camera, not a drivers license or booking photo. Kinda looked like the inside of Panera or something.

Anyway, a guy (assuming, based on the common name associated with the post) stated:

So.

I don't know this guy. And, he isn't actually in my neighborhood, but is a few neighborhoods over.

I think this post reflects bigotry. What does INGO think? I would put this on par with Roseanne's comments. So, should the guy lose whatever job he has?

Lol... I'm growing a beard and getting a wide-brimmed hat, today.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So.

Well, he's gone beyond talking about the crime itself and is imputing criminality to a whole group of people...so what else would it be?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, this happened.

Its those damn Amish again! These thugs have a sense for vulnerability! And these animals are moving up here fast! Ask for an update from the cops in the Wallmart parking lot! Profiling? You better believe it! Had an Amish guy run at me and my wife in a Carmel store parking lot asking for some crap. When I told him to back it up and lifted my shirt, he ran off! Well, imagine that! Cover not only youre own ass but maybe someone elses wife and kids or a vulnerabe elderly person! Step up!

Sounds like the way most Europeans describe the Roma.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    34103337_1617202334995332_1294796523640455168_n.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpanzee"

[video=youtube;JlmzUEQxOvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmzUEQxOvA[/video]

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    People are out of their minds, it seems that you can say what you want about Trump and call him whatever, and any of his supporters, but god forbid you say anything that offends the other side of that spectrum.. we have this small percentage of libturd crackpots throwing big baby fits over anything they don't like acting like the speak for the whole country.. the silent majority needs to stop being so silent and stop letting our country be ran by a bunch of crying babies that think their perception of society is the absolute only way things should be and if you don't agree with them you are automatically a racist or some kind of monster..

Top Bottom