• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Why does the US lock up more of its own population than any other country, including China? An interesting look. Houston, do we have a problem?

The Prison Industry in the United States: Big Business or a New Form of Slavery? | Global Research

There are approximately 2 million inmates in state, federal and private prisons throughout the country. According to California Prison Focus, “no other society in human history has imprisoned so many of its own citizens.” The figures show that the United States has locked up more people than any other country: a half million more than China, which has a population five times greater than the U.S. Statistics reveal that the United States holds 25% of the world’s prison population, but only 5% of the world’s people. From less than 300,000 inmates in 1972, the jail population grew to 2 million by the year 2000. In 1990 it was one million. Ten years ago there were only five private prisons in the country, with a population of 2,000 inmates; now, there are 100, with 62,000 inmates. It is expected that by the coming decade, the number will hit 360,000, according to reports.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Your words, not mine.

They chose how to oppose the unjust laws. They chose EXPECTING to be punished. That was part and parcel of how they were drawing attention.

Are you really comparing this dope head to Rosa Parks? You really think he was a principled objector to the drug laws?

As a prosecutor who became a member by digging up INGO posts to use against an INGOer to use against him in court for shooting a warning shot at a vicious dog, I'm not the least bit surprised you didn't get the point of my post.

To you, da law is da law. Doesn't matter how unjust it is, you care more about the law than the justice behind it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    "Justice," like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. This is less about when to oppose unjust laws than it is about how.

Do you break every law you believe is unjust?

Or do you call attention to the unjust laws and try to change them?

I felt like HJR3 would be an unjust law. I tried to draw attention to the parts that I thought were wrong and influence people.

I did not go out and get gay married.
    I don't commit civil disobedience for every unjust law. But neither do I defend bad laws and their enforcement with nonsense like "He should have known better."

The only way "justice" is in the eye of the beholder is when some tyrant is doing the beholding. If you don't agree that there is a universal standard against which all laws can and should be measured, then perhaps you don't support liberty.

As a prosecutor who became a member by digging up INGO posts to use against an INGOer to use against him in court for shooting a warning shot at a vicious dog, I'm not the least bit surprised you didn't get the point of my post.
    If this is true, many things make more sense. Who wouldn't love a law one gets paid to enforce. I suppose it's what prosecutors call job security.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't commit civil disobedience for every unjust law. But neither do I defend bad laws and their enforcement with nonsense like "He should have known better."

The only way "justice" is in the eye of the beholder is when some tyrant is doing the beholding. If you don't agree that there is a universal standard against which all laws can and should be measured, then perhaps you don't support liberty.

If this is true, many things make more sense. Who wouldn't love a law one gets paid to enforce. I suppose it's what prosecutors call job security.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you. I'm sure Carmel feeds well.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Life in prison is definitely over the top.

I just wish somebody would tell these people this stuff is illegal. And while they're at it, explain to them that if you do illegal stuff, you shouldn't be surprised when people come and make you stop and maybe put you in jail.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    "Justice," like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. This is less about when to oppose unjust laws than it is about how.

Do you break every law you believe is unjust?

Or do you call attention to the unjust laws and try to change them?

I felt like HJR3 would be an unjust law. I tried to draw attention to the parts that I thought were wrong and influence people.

I did not go out and get gay married.
    Am I correct that you are advocating for enforcement of what you appear to be conceding is an unjust law (as applied)?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ya can't fix statist either. *ba dum tsch*

Who is the statist here? You want a Big Brother telling the states what to do.

What happened to "states rye-eets"? Bold liberty-loving patriots strutting about braying "states rights"? Where are they?

So Texas punishes hash dealers harshly. And so? You will have the tyrants in Washington DC take that right away from Texas?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Who is the statist here? You want a Big Brother telling the states what to do.

What happened to "states rye-eets"? Bold liberty-loving patriots strutting about braying "states rights"? Where are they?

So Texas punishes hash dealers harshly. And so? You will have the tyrants in Washington DC take that right away from Texas?
    No, I personally would prefer that the people of that jurisdiction ****can their states attorney that chose to prosecute in that fashion. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should.

This whole pooping in the jury pool thing has gotten tired...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, I personally would prefer that the people of that jurisdiction ****can their states attorney that chose to prosecute in that fashion. Just cause you can, doesn't mean you should.

400 grams is the break over with a minimum mandatory of 10 years.

I just wish the would be tyrants at INGO would leave the states alone and stop trying to rule them from Washington DC.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

To you, da law is da law. Doesn't matter how unjust it is, you care more about the law than the justice behind it.

You realize that he wouldn't have a job if it weren't for these unjust laws, right?

Everyone has to eat, regardless of how spineless and scumbagish their occupation is.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    400 grams is the break over with a minimum mandatory of 10 years.

I just wish the would be tyrants at INGO would leave the states alone and stop trying to rule them from Washington DC.

I'm still trying to figure out who here invoked Washington... So far as I can tell, you are the first to mention it.

Are you implying that Texas prosecutors have no legal discretion in charging decisions?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Who is the statist here?

Caging people for plants is statist behavior.

Giving out life sentences is just off-the-charts statist.

Nobody is talking about strong-arming Texas to change their laws. They've got the power to change it themselves. The nation gets to gawk and laugh at the carnival of injustice down there.

What happened to individual rye-eets?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Again, I think the system mostly works. And again, the kid hasn't been fully prosecuted yet. And again, the judge hasn't rendered sentence. The system has barely started.

Texas has a system for dealing with drugs. Indiana has a different system. I prefer Indiana's, but that doesn't make Texas' unjust. If I were a judge I wouldn't sentence the kid to life in prison on the facts that have been made public, but that doesn't make the law unjust.

Since we "went there," yes, I have been a prosecutor. I've also been a criminal defense attorney. I've also helped a multitude of clients walk varyingly fine lines around various laws. That's what lawyers do. Whatever the job, I try to do it the best that I can. (You may have missed the one where I successfully convinced the Court of Appeals that a pistol grip shotgun should be classified as a handgun. Yeah - that one felt strange.)

And maybe that has given me a different perspective. It is a rare LAW that is unjust (or just for that matter). Rather, the application by imperfect humans is usually the bigger issue.

Regardless, I suspect this case will end with an appropriate sentence once all the facts are out.

Edit: Hey KF - how would Indiana handle the weighing. I don't remember anything directly on point. I don't think all the baked goods would count, but I'm not sure. Even if it did, it would be a B felony?

Top Bottom