• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nobody is talking about strong-arming Texas to change their laws.

Yeah, right. LOL.

I'm still trying to figure out who here invoked Washington... So far as I can tell, you are the first to mention it.

The INGOtarians do not want states to have the authority to pass their own laws. Little tyrants who demand that others act as they desire.

Funny how states rights is only used to advance as agenda. It's as if they really don't believe what they spout.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Again, I think the system mostly works. And again, the kid hasn't been fully prosecuted yet. And again, the judge hasn't rendered sentence. The system has barely started.

Texas has a system for dealing with drugs. Indiana has a different system. I prefer Indiana's, but that doesn't make Texas' unjust. If I were a judge I wouldn't sentence the kid to life in prison on the facts that have been made public, but that doesn't make the law unjust.

Since we "went there," yes, I have been a prosecutor. I've also been a criminal defense attorney. I've also helped a multitude of clients walk varyingly fine lines around various laws. That's what lawyers do. Whatever the job, I try to do it the best that I can. (You may have missed the one where I successfully convinced the Court of Appeals that a pistol grip shotgun should be classified as a handgun. Yeah - that one felt strange.)

And maybe that has given me a different perspective. It is a rare LAW that is unjust (or just for that matter). Rather, the application by imperfect humans is usually the bigger issue.

Regardless, I suspect this case will end with an appropriate sentence once all the facts are out.

Edit: Hey KF - how would Indiana handle the weighing. I don't remember anything directly on point. I don't think all the baked goods would count, but I'm not sure. Even if it did, it would be a B felony?

The gram part of the statute references the oil, so I doubt the goods would count. Even at 10 lbs it would only be a C felony.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Yeah, right. LOL.

The INGOtarians do not want states to have the authority to pass their own laws. Little tyrants who demand that others act as they desire.

Funny how states rights is only used to advance as agenda. It's as if they really don't believe what they spout.

Its not often I defend the ingotarians, as I don't think they have much use for me, but I don't see the arguments you reference IN THIS PARTICULAR THREAD!

Then again, I'm pretty sure a lot of them think me a statist pig, so maybe I'm selling them short.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    dit: Hey KF - how would Indiana handle the weighing. I don't remember anything directly on point. I don't think all the baked goods would count, but I'm not sure. Even if it did, it would be a B felony?

D felony dealing, 6 months to three years, up to 10K fine.

Its not often I defend the ingotarians, as I don't think they have much use for me, but I don't see the arguments you reference IN THIS PARTICULAR THREAD!

They are upset at what the citizens of Texas are doing. They want to dictate to others. All the while claiming that they are the only "true guardians" of Liberty. It's horses**t.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wanting the good people of the state/commonwealth of _________ to stop enacting laws that control behavior and force a morality upon those who may not share it is not suggesting that they no longer have the right of self government.

Any law that criminalizes a behavior that doesn't have a victim is unjust. Any law that seeks to control for the individual what should be the sole purview of the individual is unjust. Those laws are not rare. They are excessively abundant.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    They are upset at what the citizens of Texas are doing. They want to dictate to others. All the while claiming that they are the only "true guardians" of Liberty. It's horses**t.

are you suggesting that libertarians should never criticize tyrannical laws unless they are federal laws?

do you tie your own shoes, or do you have a special helper to do it for you?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Any law that criminalizes a behavior that doesn't have a victim is unjust. Any law that seeks to control for the individual what should be the sole purview of the individual is unjust. Those laws are not rare. They are excessively abundant.
    Ok. Pick one. You have me curious.

Part of the problem that many USians have is that they are not familiar with how difficult it is to write a "good" law.

So, pick a law you think is unjust and we can figure out how to write a better way around the problem it was meant to solve. (Then, you can try to get elected by your peers to have the opportunity to convince a majority of other legislators to vote to enact it.) ;)

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

Part of the problem that many USians have is that they are not familiar with how difficult it is to write a "good" law.
    This presupposes that a law needs to be written in the first place. As she said, if the law seeks to control for the individual what should be the individual's sole purview, the law is unjust and therefore doesn't need to be written. Not writing a law has a difficulty of zero.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    This presupposes that a law needs to be written in the first place. As she said, if the law seeks to control for the individual what should be the individual's sole purview, the law is unjust and therefore doesn't need to be written. Not writing a law has a difficulty of zero.

:+1:X2

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Just like with Obamacare, it cannot just be repealed, it must be replaced. Politicians gotta have a job. With lawyers, laws cannot just be wiped out, they must be replaced, lawyers got bills to pay just like the rest of us.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

So, pick a law you think is unjust and we can figure out how to write a better way around the problem it was meant to solve. (Then, you can try to get elected by your peers to have the opportunity to convince a majority of other legislators to vote to enact it.) ;)
    Anti-discrimination laws in housing.

Presupposing it hadn't been written yet, here's how I would write it:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy

EXACTLY ! There are too many laws in the first place .

IMO , if we started executing the known dirt bags , actual violent criminals , we wouldn't have so many laws .

But no , jail , prison the " justice" system is big CORRUPT business and THEY need all the laws to keep the machine going .

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

You do not write a good law, you repeal it, strike it from existence

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's Rick Perry's Texas. I'm surprised they're not shooting for a death sentence.

Maybe you mean Steve Perry, the effeminate lead singer of Journey?????...It seems this guy is trying to change former Governors laws (including Democrat Governor Ann Richards) for the better...

Pertinent comment at 2:40 by the Governor....

[video=youtube;mPJqeDzf5UQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPJqeDzf5UQ[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe you mean Steve Perry, the effeminate lead singer of Journey?????...It seems this guy is trying to change former Governors laws (including Democrat Governor Ann Richards) for the better...

How dare you inject facts in a good conference room table run!

Don't you know that INGO is the only true Guardian of Liberty! Only a certain selected few Platonic Guardians of Liberty can tell everyone else what is best for Liberty.

Allowing the people of Texas, or another other state, to come to their own decisions is Tyranny!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As she said, if the law seeks to control for the individual what should be the individual's sole purview, the law is unjust and therefore doesn't need to be written.
    Ok, like what is an example of what should be in an individual's sole purview? Speed limit? Marriage?

Anti-discrimination laws in housing.

Presupposing it hadn't been written yet, here's how I would write it:
    Ok, just so I understand, landlords should be allowed to not rent to whomever they want, regardless of race, religion, gender, credit score, disability, height, weight, eye color, smell, or how they dress?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    How dare you inject facts in a good conference room table run!

Don't you know that INGO is the only true Guardian of Liberty! Only a certain selected few Platonic Guardians of Liberty can tell everyone else what is best for Liberty.

Allowing the people of Texas, or another other state, to come to their own decisions is Tyranny!

Lol. Is anyone actually buying this faulty line of reasoning?

Anyone?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Lol. Is anyone actually buying this faulty line of reasoning?

Anyone?

Maybe we're arguing about different things?

Do you think it is ok for Texas to have a potential life imprisonment for making a bunch of hash brownies?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ok, like what is an example of what should be in an individual's sole purview? Speed limit? Marriage?
    I do believe they are speaking of ingesting drugs like marijuana in this specific instance. They are many many more examples, but that is the one at the heart of this discussion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom