• ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    These are great guns IF you get a good barrel. I gave up trying to get a good barrel, others have had better luck. I shot with a A level shooter at a steel challenge match last weekend. He shoots A level scores with a standard TX22 for iron sights and with the competition model for optics. He has multiple barrels for each of the three guns he owns. When I called to get a second replacement barrel Taurus wanted me to send them the gun. I felt it was a waste of time, I could look down the replacement barrel they had sent me and the chamber was not concentric with the barrel. This was visible to the naked eye. Would the same people who had sent a barrel out as a replacement that was visibly bad do any better with the entire gun and add the wait time to that?

I could shoot about 100 rounds of CCI clean ammo before accuracy would suffer due to build up in the chamber and barrel. Copper washed .22 was the second best and with plain lead bullets accuracy would suffer after 50 rounds.

The lead buildup in the barrel with lead bullets was a pain to clean also.

Quality control is still an issue at Taurus. I am sure that eventually I would have been lucky enough to get a good barrel, but you shouldn't need luck to get a properly functioning gun.

If you are one of the folks who got a good one - great. I'm happy you are satisfied with the gun.

My recommendation is to buy something better. Depending what you want to do:

Ruger Mark IV - get a 22/45 light if you don;t like the regular Mark IV design, grip angle.

I have a target Mark IV with nearly 6,000 rounds through it and a standard Mark Iv with about 4,000 rounds through it. The Rugers are dependable and just keep going. Both of mine are the standard configuration, the 22/45 gives you a 1911 like grip angle.

For something closer to a carry gun for training I suggest an M&P .22 compact or a Beretta M9 .22lr. I had an M7P compact 22 and it functioned great. I would like one of the Berettas.

Both GSG and Colt make a 1911 style .22. One of these is also on my wish list.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Mine has been great for over 3k rounds now. I got lucky and didn't have any barrel issues though I will say that it does like heaver bullets, 40 grain+
    I've shot around 1k so far. I've been cleaning pretty regularly u haven't noticed excessive lead build up. The barrel seems to clean up good. I have a Bore light so it shows up any fouling in the barrel if I missed some while cleaning.

Thegent219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2020
    Hobart
    I am wanting to get another 22 and have been looking at the Taurus TX22. The reviews I've read seem to be positive. I am wanting to know if anybody has one and do you like it?
    Both 22 lr but my tx22 runs great plu I got a few 21 round mags saves time at the range

Attachments

• 02AC91E0-1202-4CDE-B6A3-1AD271A97DFE.jpeg
      02AC91E0-1202-4CDE-B6A3-1AD271A97DFE.jpeg
      370.1 KB · Views: 10

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I've been thinking about getting a new 22lr pistol. Does anyone know if they got the barrel issues worked out on the TX22s currently being shipped?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Looks like a compact OR model is now available

I hadn't seen an announcement on this so maybe old news, but new to me.

And saw it's available at Sportsman's Outdoor Super Store from an email I received this morning:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

And saw it's available at Sportsman's Outdoor Super Store from an email I received this morning:

News to me also. It's interesting that they made it optics ready. They must be confident that it will run well.

I thought part of the reason for designing the Competition model the way they did was so that adding a dot wouldn't affect the cycling of the slide.

I'll stick with my Competition as I really like it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I know a few ladies that would probably like this pistol.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have one, and like it. It is a great stand in for most 15 round 4" compact 9mm pistols. I run mine as a stand in for an M&P 9 compact. Great trigger.

I have an early one and it took three barrels to get a good one, but I believe more recent purchase reports have not had barrel complaints.

One thing I will nit pick on is the sights. They do not hold adjustment well, and for these slightly aged eyes do not provide a great sight picture. I may invest in replacement sights soon, as the pistol is well worth it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    News to me also. It's interesting that they made it optics ready. They must be confident that it will run well.

I thought part of the reason for designing the Competition model the way they did was so that adding a dot wouldn't affect the cycling of the slide.

I'll stick with my Competition as I really like it.
    They did also put some cuts in the slide. Haven't looked at how that impacts slide weight, but wonder if they are there for a reason such as accommodating extra weight from an optic, besides looks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They did also put some cuts in the slide. Haven't looked at how that impacts slide weight, but wonder if they are there for a reason such as accommodating extra weight from an optic, besides looks.
    I bet you are on to something. The cuts in the slide probably offset the weight of the optic.

Cool little pistol. I bet my wife would like it, but fortunately she likes my Competition model!

Top Bottom