Taqueria robber shot dead by patron. video /bad shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Is it law that one needs to be a citizen to carry a gun in a constutional carry state; or any other state?
    Yes and no, it's Federal law that illegals cannot possess, but legal resident's can. Carry by non citizen legal residents and out of state citizens under CC laws vary by state.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Since none of us are likely to end up on the grand jury, and thus, our opinions of whether every shot was justified or not are irrelevant, this is a situation we can use to learn. Thinking about what could be done...or not done...to avoid ending up in front a grand jury is worth doing.

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Walking up to someone bleeding and immobile on the floor, taking their gun away from them, and then deliberately shooting them one more time in the face to ensure they die is by definition an execution.

He is on video doing it. That is what he did. It is a very clear and unambiguous documented fact.
    So you know for a proven fact he was actually alive at the time he was shot in the head?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    How do you know he was alive when the last shot was fired?
    Is that going to be his defense? "I'm a doctor and I diagnosed him as fully and legally dead, so please reduce my charges to desecration of a corpse"? Is it legal to shoot corpses when you come across them as part of your day-to-day life?

Seems to me like the only reason to deliberately shoot someone in the head at 0 yards range is because you believe them to be alive and wish them to be definitely, for sure, very dead.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Since none of us are likely to end up on the grand jury, and thus, our opinions of whether every shot was justified or not are irrelevant, this is a situation we can use to learn. Thinking about what could be done...or not done...to avoid ending up in front a grand jury is worth doing.
    Like not chooting a guy you disarmed who is lying on the ground, even if he's already dead? I would recommend against that.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is that going to be his defense? "I'm a doctor and I diagnosed him as fully and legally dead, so please reduce my charges to desecration of a corpse"? Is it legal to shoot corpses when you come across them as part of your day-to-day life?

Seems to me like the only reason to deliberately shoot someone in the head at 0 yards range is because you believe them to be alive and wish them to be definitely, for sure, very dead.
    I don 't know, but the shooter doesn't have to prove anything. If prosecuted, the state would have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he was alive when that last shot was fired (if that's the only we are talking about).

You can't "execute" someone who is dead. Prove to me that he was not dead. That's the way the whole presumption of innocence and "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard works.

You don't like the last shot? Fine. Neither do I. My opinion of the last shot, and yours, is irrelevant. There must be proof beyond a reasonable doubt on every element of the supposed crime.

If the state's medical expert can only muster a "possibly" alive or even "probably", the case gets dismissed.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I was selected to be in a pool for grand jury duty but I got out of it because I lived too far away from the court. This was a long time ago and I don't believe they allow that excuse any more.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Everyone is so certain the last shot is an execution shot. No way it could be “holy **** he’s moving and I am way too close now!” Or even an adrenaline charged finger in the trigger discharge. No. Has to be an ex ecu shot because you don’t like it.

**** it. Don’t want to be “executed” don’t threaten others with deadly force while committing a felony.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I don 't know, but the shooter doesn't have to prove anything. If prosecuted, the state would have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he was alive when that last shot was fired (if that's the only we are talking about).

You can't "execute" someone who is dead. Prove to me that he was not dead. That's the way the whole presumption of innocence and "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard works.

You don't like the last shot? Fine. Neither do I. My opinion of the last shot, and yours, is irrelevant. There must be proof beyond a reasonable doubt on every element of the supposed crime.

If the state's medical expert can only muster a "possibly" alive or even "probably", the case gets dismissed.
    "If he was dead, why'd you shoot the corpse?"

The act itself seems to fully establish intent and belief that he was alive. Unless, again, his defense is going to be that he willingly shot a corpse for fun.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    "If he was dead, why'd you shoot the corpse?"

The act itself seems to fully establish intent and belief that he was alive. Unless, again, his defense is going to be that he willingly shot a corpse for fun.
    I’m just wondering how you know his intent. Are you a psychic? Were you actually there asking him?

You know I know exactly what happened. He used a ****** g***k and it went off on its own.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Why is everyone ruling out all possibilities that this guy was reanimating as a threat ? Heck even if he was having spasms it would appear to someone who just had to defend thier life in the (likely) most adrenaline filled moment in their existence that he was reaching for something or doing something else nefarious? As the defender you don’t know what else this guy has on them? Do you frisk him before defending yourself? Can’t believe this is a cut and dry “execution” for so many.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why is everyone ruling out all possibilities that this guy was reanimating as a threat ? Heck even if he was having spasms it would appear to someone who just had to defend thier life in the (likely) most adrenaline filled moment in their existence that he was reaching for something or doing something else nefarious? As the defender you don’t know what else this guy has on them? Do you frisk him before defending yourself? Can’t believe this is a cut and dry “execution” for so many.
    It doesn't matter what any of us think. It will matter what the grand jury thinks, and if they indict him, what the actual jury thinks.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It doesn't matter what any of us think. It will matter what the grand jury thinks, and if they indict him, what the actual jury thinks.
    I know just scary to think so many jump right to that conclusion on a pro self defense website I can only imagine the general public, sad. Sad this person who is willing to protect themselves and others needs to even be scrutinized like this.

Top Bottom