• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Agreed. We need to go back to the days when you could buy a Garand or other arms mail order.

KleinsAd1963.jpg

Please note conspicuous lack of purple.

This brought a tear to my eye and why I long for the old days :(

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I was wondering if the roles were reversed, as in the man was filling out the paperwork and the woman was the only one handling the gun, would it raise the same red flags?

I was thinking the same thing. Male - female roles reversed, is it still a straw purchase?? Seems to me that a person is a person, regardless of sex.

I always thought a straw purchase was when the purchaser said they were buying it for somebody else and the FFL still agreed to the sale.
    If that is not said, then is seems the rest is purely circumstantial, but I'm no expert in gun law.
    So it sounds like the FFL can only accept payment from the person filing out the paperwork, right?

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Maybe it was a not-so-much-of-a-surprise birthday gift?

Since theres a ton of back and forth on this...if its a gift, she should have given him the cash outside before going in, he buys it, gives her the change outside.

Filling out the paperwork for someone else (with the exception of juniors first cricket rifle) is wrong and makes the entire gun community look bad.

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    I had my father buy me my first pistol when I was 18 down south. The shop guy knew it was for me, but my dad filled it out anyways. Before he started the paperwork the shop owner asked me what the firearms safety rules were with no help from my dad. I recited them quickly and he processed the 4473. Oh well. :P

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Again you are making ASSumptions. I was standing next to the dealers table, watched and heard the "couple" pointing and discussing the weapon purchase and then observed the "plan" play out. I was not "stalking" anybody. I get paid to be observant at my job and by being observant I made it through being a Grunt for 21 years and 3 years as a contractor in Iraq. When something doesn't seem "right" I pay attention.
    BTW, I stated in the beginning it was clearly a straw purchase but others decided that maybe it wasn't. My question was based on observing an obvious straw purchase- what would you do and that has been answered by the replies. I had no "plan" for the thread and honestly it has met my expectations. As to hurt feelings, don't flatter yourself.

Bob

I have purchased firearms filled out the form myself, and then gifted said firearm, to a known "appropriate" person, because I bought the firearm as a gift for that person and gifted it to them at a later date as a surprise. I purchased the firearm for myself and then gave that firearm to a person that was legal to possess it. This includes my wife who is also legally able to possess a firearm. The same has been done for me. This is not a straw purchase and is legal.

I cannot knowingly give or sell that firearm to a felon (Note: I don't agree with this either, but that's another topic). This is why most people who sell a firearm in Indiana ask to see a LTCH, it may not be valid but at least they tried to do the right thing. I can sell, give or will a firearm to anyone who is legal to possess one and I have broken no law in this state and it is none of your business. You need to mind your own business, you were not not paid to observe anything in this instance and you don't know the circumstances. It is none of your concern.

A straw purchase is someone purchasing a firearm for someone else who is legally unable to do so themselves. Per your posts, you had no way of knowing this. Nothing you said clearly made it a straw purchase. Thank you for your service but it's irrelevant in this topic.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had my father buy me my first pistol when I was 18 down south. The shop guy knew it was for me, but my dad filled it out anyways. Before he started the paperwork the shop owner asked me what the firearms safety rules were with no help from my dad. I recited them quickly and he processed the 4473. Oh well. :P

I wonder what the statute of limitations is for a straw purchase? :):

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Agreed. We need to go back to the days when you could buy a Garand or other arms mail order.

KleinsAd1963.jpg

Please note conspicuous lack of purple.

Third rifle down on the left. The exact same 6.5 Italian Carcano Carbine Oswald capped Kennedy with. He bought it from Klein's. Along with 100 rounds of surplus ammo. I think the total bill for popping a top Democrat back in 1963 was under $25.00. No 4473 required.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Third rifle down on the left. The exact same 6.5 Italian Carcano Carbine Oswald capped Kennedy with. He bought it from Klein's. Along with 100 rounds of surplus ammo. I think the total bill for popping a top Democrat back in 1963 was under $25.00. No 4473 required.
    He was probably more conservative than your modern day top Republicans.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Again you are making ASSumptions. I was standing next to the dealers table, watched and heard the "couple" pointing and discussing the weapon purchase and then observed the "plan" play out. I was not "stalking" anybody. I get paid to be observant at my job and by being observant I made it through being a Grunt for 21 years and 3 years as a contractor in Iraq. When something doesn't seem "right" I pay attention.
    BTW, I stated in the beginning it was clearly a straw purchase but others decided that maybe it wasn't. My question was based on observing an obvious straw purchase- what would you do and that has been answered by the replies. I had no "plan" for the thread and honestly it has met my expectations. As to hurt feelings, don't flatter yourself.

Bob

So I'm confused, if it was your job to look for these things at gun shows then why are you asking this question and did you do the duties of your job?

If it is not your job and you went to the gun show by your own testament, then why would you listen to a whole conversation, pay such close attention to the deal that was being made, and come to the unwavering "fact" that it was a straw purchase?

Either one of these things is going on;

1. It is your job to prevent stuff like this happening at gun shows.
    2. You were being nosy and not minding your own damn business.

ndbbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    I was in the area at the time, saw what Bob saw. It looked like a straw purchase, but I was not privy to the couple's conversation with the dealer.

Top Bottom