• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have done this with my wife.She spotted a pistol she liked and she handled it examined it asked questions ect.We left the table and continued looking at the show.She decided she really wanted the pistol so we went back.I then checked out the pistol and gave my ok on it.She sat down and filled out the paper work,then I gave her cash to pay.

I would not call that a straw purchase.She liked the pistol,but trusts my judgment on rather or not it was a decent firearm and price.I also generally have most of the cash at a gun show,she hates being in crowds with a purse(for good reason,it is easier to pick than a pocket).

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My wife and I went to the LGS, I looked at a lot of ARs, she feigned interest, we ordered one and returned when it came in. Again I fondled it, she feigned interest, then she filled out the paper I paid for it and we left! It was a PINK SIG M400! I was embarrassed to show it to her father, but now that she has it, she no longer feigns interest!

maceace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    NWI
    turn his ass in....seen similar thing happen at cabellas, I was proud of the customer service rep when he basically told the guy to fill out the paperwork or f off..the guy walked out, took his gf and HIS money with him....obvious straw purchase

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Why are we paying ATF agents when gun owners will do it for free? Think of the tax savings.

Didn't Hitler have the citizenry spying for him? What good little brown shirts we are. MYOFB!
    i have to agree with these two. I don't agree with the laws, but they are there. Why should I help the man enforce something I do not agree with. If the long is to protect the business, then maybe say something to the business owner so he knows his employee may be making questionable decisions.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Why are we paying ATF agents when gun owners will do it for free? Think of the tax savings.

Didn't Hitler have the citizenry spying for him? What good little brown shirts we are. MYOFB!

i have to agree with these two. I don't agree with the laws, but they are there. Why should I help the man enforce something I do not agree with. If the long is to protect the business, then maybe say something to the business owner so he knows his employee may be making questionable decisions.

I have to agree with these three.

If a man is on trial for violating a law the jury believes is unjust, the jury has a responsibility to nullify.

If a man is seen violating a law that the observer believes is unjust, the observer has a responsibility to not be a tattletale.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The only "law" that could be perceived as being broken IMO is question 12a on the 4473 where the buyer says they are the actual buyer of the firearm and are not purchasing it for someone else.

12a. Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. (See Important Notice 1 for actual buyer definition and examples.)

I don't think that it's a bystander's job to second-guess a buyer's intentions. If the buyer is lying on the 4473, that's between him and the ATF.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The only "law" that could be perceived as being broken IMO is question 12a on the 4473 where the buyer says they are the actual buyer of the firearm and are not purchasing it for someone else.

12a. Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. (See Important Notice 1 for actual buyer definition and examples.)

I don't think that it's a bystander's job to second-guess a buyer's intentions. If the buyer is lying on the 4473, that's between him and the ATF.

That question isn't the law. It reflects the law, encoded in 18 USC 922(a) and (b) and also (t) which I neglected to mention above.

Either way, I agree that it's nobody's business (even the ATF's).

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    When I say 'IMO', which means 'in my opinion', I can word it any way I want. I said exactly what I meant. The quotes were to show that I knew that a question on a 4473 was not really a law.

Top Bottom