• ...and so much more!
  • r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Gotta love them pit bulls! (Got my flame retardant suit on - let me have it, all you pit bull lovers. Tell me what great pets they are.)

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Good timing on the lady's part. That's the breed of dog that some will say are gentle loving pets that are perfectly safe. Not buying it, too many reports with the same breed. Having a really vicious dog is a status symbol amongst some people for some reason that eludes me. Make examples of the owners and said ownership will decline. It's the risk vs. reward thing in my opinion.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    They din du nuffin wrong.
    30 yrs ago had a neighbor who had one. As a puppy, that dog was a great pet. As he started to get older, the owner would mess with him real wrong. From starvation to abuse. I commented to my ex, if anything happens to our son, the owner is going first, dog 2nd.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Yea Bully Breeds...... What wonderful pets they are..
    Old Rick needs to be in prison for more than 4 years and it's a shame the Lone Ranger in the Caddy did not have a Rosco and shoot dead all those great dogs on the seen..
    Now you Bully lovers be sure to post those great pictures of your kids rolling around with those lovable pups.. :):

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Well hope he gets 4 years and they really show this on the media…..your dog or dogs attack someone your going to jail. One thing bad about being in the country, so many let their dogs run loose, always worried about being on the bike or going for a walk….well not so much myself, but some neighbors have stopped. One has dogs that run at you and I seen neighbors turn around and leave, dogs belong to some stupid veterinarian woman thats seems to be never home and lets 2 huge dogs roam.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Gotta love them pit bulls! (Got my flame retardant suit on - let me have it, all you pit bull lovers. Tell me what great pets they are.)
    You mean just like all you hear on the news is mass shooting with assault weapons! Yeah those assault weapons are dangerous too!
    (purple strongly implied)

Or maaybe, and this is a stretch here, just like in shootings, it's the people, not the "thing" at fault...

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    A greyhound runs - it is in their makeup; a pointer points - it is in their makeup; an Australian cattle dog herds animals - it's in their makeup. A pit bull.......... it's in their makeup. Oh, please, since we are talking logic, tell me the logical relationship between a rifle or pistol which is inanimate and a pit bull which is a live thinking organism.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

I assumed it was pits. Wasn't surprised.

who would get four of them??? Did they have free reign or get out of a fence?

i saw a girl partially scalped by a pit. Grandma was blaming the girl for approaching the dog while he was eating. I wanted to slap grandma.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    A greyhound runs - it is in their makeup; a pointer points - it is in their makeup; an Australian cattle dog herds animals - it's in their makeup. A pit bull.......... it's in their makeup. Oh, please, since we are talking logic, tell me the logical relationship between a rifle or pistol which is inanimate and a pit bull which is a live thinking organism.
    never said they had much a relationship except that the owner of said object/living being is responsible for the danger caused by said "things".
    Mostly I was just insinuating that your are generalizing a breed of dogs just like antis generalize "assault" weapons.
    and no I don't own/have every owned or have any preference for pits over any other breed... It just annoys me to no end that people believe the media attack on this breed as much as they do about guns/"assault" weapons.

They were bred to fight, so were Bulldogs, so pray tell me, how is one much worse/better than the other? IME, in no way.. But if it's on the news it must be true!

IME, the owners of pits whose dogs are well behaved are good owners, and I have a lot of doubt that many attacks have happened under people similar to the aforementioned owners. This breed seems to be popular in neighborhoods/people who belong in these neighborhoods which I doubt anyone on this forum would venture willingly, and if they had to would go well armed (popular mostly due to
    their reputation no doubt, as well as illegal activities they may be used for)... I attribute that to any possible trend that could be found.

Last edited:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have an 85 pound German Shepherd. I love her and she is as sweet as candy to me. Still, she could easily kill a child.

It is for this reason that she stays on the leash whenever she leaves the house, even though she does very well in practice and probably doesn't need to be on one.

My wife's 13 pound Rat Terrier is terrified of its own shadow, couldn't hurt a fly...but will still bite if its threatened.

When I was in college I worked as a seasonal Zookeeper at the Indianapolis Zoo for three summers. I loved it. One of the things I learned in my time there is that anything that has a mouth will bite...anything.

'Pit' Bulls, German Shepherds, Chows, Dobermans...these animals have strong, powerful bites, and for all their ability toward empathy, these animals are not reasoned...they are reactionary. As the owner of one of these animals, it is up to you(me) to understand the capabilities of the animal, and to maintain strict control. I have seen German Shepherds stop an attack and return upon vocal command, but I am not confident that mine would do this...so she stays on the leash, even though I know she'd probably just chase her frisbee at the park, and not your kid.

"Pit Bulls" aren't "Bad Dogs", they make excellent companion and guard dogs...but they require a certain amount of respect. I know I'll probably get some heat for this, but I think perhaps young children shouldn't interact intimately with animals that can kill them. It certainly wasn't the child's fault, and I have a hard time blaming an animal for doing what animals do...

...the responsibility rests on the owner of the animal. You have a responsibility to maintain control. If you cannot do that, there are myriad other pets available to try...perhaps a nice, soft bunny?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have an 85 pound German Shepherd. I love her and she is as sweet as candy to me. Still, she could easily kill a child.

It is for this reason that she stays on the leash whenever she leaves the house, even though she does very well in practice and probably doesn't need to be on one.

My wife's 13 pound Rat Terrier is terrified of its own shadow, couldn't hurt a fly...but will still bite if its threatened.

When I was in college I worked as a seasonal Zookeeper at the Indianapolis Zoo for three summers. I loved it. One of the things I learned in my time there is that anything that has a mouth will bite...anything.

'Pit' Bulls, German Shepherds, Chows, Dobermans...these animals have strong, powerful bites, and for all their ability toward empathy, these animals are not reasoned...they are reactionary. As the owner of one of these animals, it is up to you(me) to understand the capabilities of the animal, and to maintain strict control. I have seen German Shepherds stop an attack and return upon vocal command, but I am not confident that mine would do this...so she stays on the leash, even though I know she'd probably just chase her frisbee at the park, and not your kid.

"Pit Bulls" aren't "Bad Dogs", they make excellent companion and guard dogs...but they require a certain amount of respect. I know I'll probably get some heat for this, but I think perhaps young children shouldn't interact intimately with animals that can kill them. It certainly wasn't the child's fault, and I have a hard time blaming an animal for doing what animals do...

...the responsibility rests on the owner of the animal. You have a responsibility to maintain control. If you cannot do that, there are myriad other pets available to try...perhaps a nice, soft bunny?

Agreed.

I grew up with German Shepards and Rottweilers. I have a 130lb Rottweiler running around in my house now. He's been thru obedience training. Has interacted with children too. My wife and I take him to our families houses, where he plays with the small children. I KNOW he would never harm them. But, Barney Fife is always supervised, he's never left alone with any kid. And when we go on walks in town, he's always on a leash.

There's always a chance something can happen, no matter what the breed is. As the owner, you HAVE to be responsible and prepared.

Top Bottom