Not open for further replies.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Actual acreage never goes down in price. Never

Hasn't it been dropping since 2014-2015? Looks like it has fallen from almost $10K an acre in 2014 to around $8K in 2019. Expecting another decline of 5% in 2020.

https://ag.purdue.edu/agecon/Docume...66.792112453.1592273812-1023879682.1592273812

At what point does farmland become unprofitable......meaning how much do you need out of a bushel of corn to pay for farming an acre of $10K land compared to $5K an acre land? I don't mean this to be negative....just asking to try learning from others who may know. I wonder if China stops buying grain if prices will continue to drop, and with crops going down, equipment and supplies going up....at some point the profit must get really thin.

I agree though, land will always have value and never be worth zero. You just can't make more land.....

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    I'm making decent money off Avis, norwegian and bed bath and beyond.

That's about the only good gains I've seen.

I did buy Hertz at like 1.88 and sold at 6.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah, you will probably make some fat cash on that tomorrow, futures are up about 1%. I had to work today so I couldn't trade the SPY calls. But I added a bunch of NRZ before I left and came home a very happy man! I may start selling covered calls on NRZ soon. Wednesday I will be trading SPY calls. Looking to add TVIX but not sure where SPY will top out. Any of you guys trade TVIX?

I have a limit sell in for $6. that would be a 320% gain in a day. strike day Wednesday and i'm not confident in two strong days in a row. Only two contracts :( I'm hoping to get outnof several nclh and ccl calls tomorrow. I'm hopeful Tuesday is a run up and then I'll probably buy puts again

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have a limit sell in for $6. that would be a 320% gain in a day. strike day Wednesday and i'm not confident in two strong days in a row. Only two contracts :( I'm hoping to get outnof several nclh and ccl calls tomorrow. I'm hopeful Tuesday is a run up and then I'll probably buy puts again

You are gonna bank so hard on these this morning.....wish you had about 100 contracts! I am telling ya, options is where the real money is made. Keep an eye on TVIX as well. If the market falters, it could run 300-1000%.......of course it falls just as fast when market goes up. I am looking for $100 entry on it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I bumped up my limit sell prices on the July 10 calls for cruise stocks and thr SPY.

got to bed at 4:30a, woke at 8:30a to pee, now I gotta stay up and see if I get my prices :):

I looked at SPY since may 1. average daily change is 1.2% based on closing price. not sure how that's relevant other than to see how much swing it might do near strike day

it seems options don't always start trading at 9:30 or ameritrade is slow to update them? odd. i got my jun 19 nclh call sell but others haven't even showed different bid/ask info at 9:34

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I lowered my limit prices and got out of most of the near-term options. The bounce this morning was nice and I wanted to lock in the gain. I made 255% on the SPY calls from yesterday and 37% on the CCL calls. Got lucky though, really wasn't skill. I need to remind myself I'm gambling. I closed out an AAL Jan 2021 15 call I had also, just wanted the money back to play with now.

I then bought AAL, CCL and NCLH Jun 19 out of the money puts :D, but not many

This is such a small part of my portfolio that it's strange I'm rooting for stocks to go down to make that bet work :rofl:. But most of it is in broad mutual funds so asking travel sector to tank for a day doesn't seem too hypocritical

I also got out of my SPXL. Lost 4% on that but I like options a lot better than 3X leveraged funds. Still need to get out of DUSL and GUSH.

I bought shares of Hertz just now too. hopefully that is a decent long-term buy and it doesn't vaporize

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    well that was weird, I bought my CCL Jun 19 21 puts at 10:13 for 1.05. Put in my limit sell and sold them for $1.75 at 11:00. Wow! Bought my NCLH Jun 19 20.5 puts at $0.65 at 9:56 and sold for $1.25 @ 11:01.

I almost bought SPY puts for tomorrow but thought no way, don't want to waste money. Then it dropped $5/share.

I currently have no options positions that expire sooner than Jan 2021. I'll see how things shake out today and maybe jump back in with something later in the day.

TVIX looks really confusing to me and I'll probably stay away. SPY I can figure out :D

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    well crap, I tried to buy some SPXL puts but did sell to open instead of buy to open. ended up losing a quick $40 on those instead of being in the black :xmad:

I did buy two SPXL jan 19 44 Puts.

I should probably stop gambling. options on a triple leveraged ETF. ugh

update: got my price on SPY put. bought at 3.19 at 1:13p and sold for $4.50 at 3:15.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The 5th through about the 10th appears to have been a textbook island top, the following declines were the first leg of three overlapping downward moves, seperated by smaller recovery moves (waterfall). I'm expecting a near term bottom around S&P 2500 on or about 26 June. This is not investment advice, proceed at your own risk

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    well that was weird, I bought my CCL Jun 19 21 puts at 10:13 for 1.05. Put in my limit sell and sold them for $1.75 at 11:00. Wow! Bought my NCLH Jun 19 20.5 puts at $0.65 at 9:56 and sold for $1.25 @ 11:01.

I almost bought SPY puts for tomorrow but thought no way, don't want to waste money. Then it dropped $5/share.

I currently have no options positions that expire sooner than Jan 2021. I'll see how things shake out today and maybe jump back in with something later in the day.

TVIX looks really confusing to me and I'll probably stay away. SPY I can figure out :D

Congrats on a good day. I don't really understand TVIX either.....but I know when the SPY is up it is usually down twice the % and when SPY is down it goes up about 2-3 times the % what the market goes down. I don't like holding TVIX at all overnight, strictly a day trade for me. It is based off the VIX, which I don't know what that is either, other than a fear index. When it is up people are scared and when it drops the market is ripping.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have SPXL 44 puts that expire today. I was nervous yesterday. I paid $2.11 for it, may break even if it keeps sliding

2:25: up 3% now... argh. market sliding, gonna hold a bit longer since it's in the money and see what happens

held it and market recovered. I sold it for a decent loss. bah

Last edited:

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    My favorite technical indicator gave a green light again last Friday. Of course, this may not seem logical but I consider it reliable and I remain almost fully invested.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom