• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    St. Mary's hospital in Evansville is where my son is in the NICU (Newborn Intesive Care Unit) and as such, that is where I have been every single day since he was born. Tonight Security aproached me when my wife and I were putting him into his isolate after his feeding and asked if I had a weapon on me. Now, you and I know that a "weapon" could be a lot of things... Anyway I relplied "yes I do and I am licensed to carry, is there a problem?" The security officer (who was not wearing a visible nametag) became very rude and loud and said "you can't have that here and you are breaking the law." I proceeded to explain to him that I was not breaking any law in Indiana by carrying with a license and that I would leave if necessary.

He then told me I could give him the gun or leave, I looked at my wife who was done putting him up and asked her if she was ready and she said she was so I told the guard that I was leaving the building. Then he tried to get my name and I said that I did not have to identify myself and I was not handing over my handgun but was not causing a problem as I was walking towards the door and to the elevators (3rd floor, go figure :rolleyes:) Then an armed guard and an Evansville Police officer walked through the door, the first guard then said that I had to give my name to him, to which I replied, "no I do not, I am not trespassing and I am leaving right now". The police officer did not identify himself and stepped in my way, he said "You have to give me your license, now" I repeated that I did not while they were trying to tell me that it was the law, which I knew it wasn't (Thanks INGO!)

After that I asked if I was free to leave and the Officer said "NO, not until you identify yourself or I will see to it that you are banned form the property and you won't be able to see your son anymore" I was furious and somehow calmly stated that I did not want to be detained anyfurther and I would not answer of his questions. Then he said he needed to see my drivers license and my Permit:rolleyes: and repeated his threat. So I showed him both Licenses so he could write my name down and he and the first guard kept talking and asking me questions. He finally handed my little permission slips back and I interrupted him to ask if I was free to go to which he said yes and I left down the elevators and went home.

I have now been on the phone and chewed out the Charge Nurse of the NICU for a very embarrasing and UNECESSARY ordeal, left a message for the head of security and shot out an email to the EPD, all of which will be followed up on Monday morning.

BTW I usually OC everywhere I can, but to avoid any problems like the one I had I have actually been concealing it in an IWB Galco Kingtuk. Tonight I just got a little lazy and was just wearing a Tshirt over it so I am assuming the grip snuck out when I bent over and an Antigun nurse saw it. Most of the nurses there know us just because we have been there for 12 days and they all love my little boy who BTW is named Colt... And have even discussed guns and shooting with several of them and the lead Dr in charge who loved his name and told me the only other one that was as cool as that was named after an Italian shotgun. Anyway... I know, Concealed means CONCEALED! The whole time my wife had her Kel Tec in her purse lol.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    what did the charge nurse have to do with it? Did she call security?
    Yes, I needed to know why security was trying to take my firearm and I wanted to explain to them that their methods need improvement as I was not doing ANYTHING wrong and I just needed educated on their rules and that it is NOT against Indiana law to have a firearm in a hospital as everyone involved seemed to think that it was.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    ok then. i can understand if she called the wannabe po-po; I was hoping you were not shooting the messenger. :yesway:

good for you though for playing it cool. I have a tendency to get lippy with security guards. :laugh:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Wow. Crappy situation. You would think the hospital would treat their customers better.

Maybe you should have expressed to the Charge Nurse that you would not have any problem transferring your son to a different hospital. Explain to her that you would have no other choice after being threatened with a ban from the property. (EDIT: She will listen, if that hospital system cares anything about customer service.)

Good job educating that security guard. I would have looked and laughed at him after he requested I hand over my firearm.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    keep in mind though the charge nurse has nothing to do with hospital policy. and she almost certainly wouldn't care if you went to another hospital. If she called the police, then yes I would say something. If not, there is no point.

Also, I would try not to anger the people taking care of my son. The vast majority of providers would not be affected, but it does happen. Just sayin.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Wow. Crappy situation. You would think the hospital would treat their customers better.

Maybe you should have expressed to the Charge Nurse that you would not have any problem transferring your son to a different hospital. Explain to her that you would have no other choice after being threatened with a ban from the property.
    The coversation with her went well after I was able to explain myself and teach her that it was not Illegal, just against their non posted rules. She apologized and told me it was ok to see him as long as I no longer brought my gun. That was all I was after when I talked with her because after the original call, she didnt have anything more to do with it and it could have gone better after that. The security office and the EPD will NOT get off that easy.

P.S. ask me anything you want, if I need to clarify or whatever, I typed this fast and while still agitated so I could remember it better come tomorrow.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Good luck to you. Keep us updated.

It’s a shame you have to bullied while you are going through this difficult time.

I understand following the rules, but it sounds like the security there could use some training on how to confront people.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Good luck to you. Keep us updated.

It’s a shame you have to bullied while you are going through this difficult time.

I understand following the rules, but it sounds like the security there could use some training on how to confront people.
    Thanks, and educating the security department is definatly one of my main concerns here but my main beef lies with this cop who unlawfully detained me, intimidated and threatened me.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    Make them post it and move your son to a different hospital. My doctors office and the hospital here have a no firearms rule supposedly and they asked me to leave at an office visit. I told them it was not posted. They stated they are working on it and I stated until then I think Ill finish my visit. They pressed the issue and I told the nurse who is my Aunt that I would be switching Doctors. They then asked me not to come again with it. I finished my visit and the next visit noticed it was posted lol.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    The coversation with her went well after I was able to explain myself and teach her that it was not Illegal, just against their non posted rules.
    I'd probably ask her for a copy of their "non-posted" rules, so that there were no more rude surprises for people who are in compliance with all local and federal laws. If not posted anywhere, maybe she could enumerate all of them for you verbally. Just to be on the safe side.

In my experience, "non-posted rules" is just another term for "we make them up as we go along".

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'd probably ask her for a copy of their "non-posted" rules, so that there were no more rude surprises for people who are in compliance with all local and federal laws. If not posted anywhere, maybe she could enumerate all of them for you verbally. Just to be on the safe side.

In my experience, "non-posted rules" is just another term for "we make them up as we go along".
    This I will be taking up with the security department. The nurse is not responsible for hospital policy and admitidly was trying to "protect the children and parents" from my horrible gun, but after I explained the situation she apologized so I feel that her part of this has been resolved. My biggest problem is that I have been there for hours at a time, days on end with a gun. Obviously anyone else could be armed too, they would never know unless it slipped out as mine did, who knows how long it took security to respond and when they did, they confronted me IN THE NICU and ESCALATED the situation while they made no attempt to take my gun or to determine my threat level besides that I had a gun and was trying to leave. Now that I am no longer able to provide for my son's safety who is? They were very incompitant.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

Maybe you should have expressed to the Charge Nurse that you would not have any problem transferring your son to a different hospital. Explain to her that you would have no other choice after being threatened with a ban from the property. (EDIT: She will listen, if that hospital system cares anything about customer service.)

Good job educating that security guard. I would have looked and laughed at him after he requested I hand over my firearm.
    It is hospital policy.

Trust me, he would not be better off transferring to another hospital. Better it be anti gun than anti patient care

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Just to shorten the post
    Deaconess is no better. All the hospitals have a no gun policy, even if it isnt posted. You are better off keeping your son at St. Marys.

This is my honest opinion especially since I know you. I have worked at both, and I know the character of the nurses. Sometimes you just have to let your rights go ( and I dont say that often, but you dont have a choice here)

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Sometimes you just have to let your rights go ( and I dont say that often, but you dont have a choice here)

You do have a choice, you just got caught because your dress code was off for good concealment, which is a rule for me in hospitals. Button up shirt and blazer do the trick for me quite well. No one has a clue I'm carrying. Your wife keeps hers in her purse. Bring a messenger bag with some baby stuff and your carry weapon. They shouldn't snoop through your bags. Get creative and protect your family. Congratulations on the son!

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    You do have a choice, you just got caught because your dress code was off for good concealment, which is a rule for me in hospitals. Button up shirt and blazer do the trick for me quite well. No one has a clue I'm carrying. Your wife keeps hers in her purse. Bring a messenger bag with some baby stuff and your carry weapon. They shouldn't snoop through your bags. Get creative and protect your family. Congratulations on the son!
    you make a noticeable scene at a Hospital and let me know how that works out for you. Their house their rules, they can search if they want and deny access if you deny compliance.

Top Bottom