• phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My first Hoosier Gobbler is down!!!

image_zpsa863f442.jpg

He's not a monster but I'm thrilled that I got one considering how bad the weather has been today.

image_zps0e3da309.jpg

image_zpscc18f1f6.jpg

Last edited:

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Was in the woods in the blind at 6am this morning. Heard shots at 7:30 and 8:00 behind me and in front of me, few hundred yards away, but nothing around me. Guy across the street from me left at 8:30 with no bird. Hit the old yelper a few times and one gobbled back. Hit a few more and he gobbled back 3 times. Then the rains came. Then the snow, then the rain and fog. Then the sleet. I packed up and headed out. Never saw one. Had the decoys out, but no help from them.

Scoe3202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2013
    I cant wait to get out hunting my first time won't be this spring as I'll be getting my gun this summer. Makes me jealous nice birds.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Stayed in blind all day. Cold, windy, and rain until noon. Had hens around me all day but no toms. Hens started heading to roost about 8:10 and 4 toms walked into field all looked to be same size. I dropped this one at 45 yards at 8:15 pm.
    21.5 lbs 2 year old 10" beard and just over 3/4" spurs

Congrats on all of you that connected and good luck to those that haven't yet.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I went out Wednesday morning, had one gobbling at first light, but couldn't seem to bring him in. As much as I wanted to go that evening, I had to take the little one to softball, then her art fair at the school.

I'll be working through Sunday, so hopefully get the chance at one Monday morning.

Congrats to everyone who's tagged out already.

sprague_c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Son bagged one

My son got one yesterday... and I won't even mention what it did to the decoy.. you just have to watch for yourself. [ame]http://youtu.be/oyHaVZ1GvUM[/ame]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Note to self: go to Walmart before turkey season in the burg you'll be hunting near and buy every dang crow and owl hooter call, to keep the locals from walking around all day blowing them.

Yeah, opening weekend on public ground.

Didn't see much, heard toms way off Sat (maybe 4 diff ones in first hr of daylight). Saw a hen.

Heard nothing this morning. Saw 1 tom sneaking away (from the Hooty Hoot guys who stomped around us again).

Eves , the place was flooded with mushroom hunters, may have killed any roosting there.

Pass this coming weekend, go down the next.

Learned some stuff.

1. Hush puppies in fair quantity should be called barking puppies
    2. To fool the toms down south one must blow a call every 10 yards (since the "humans" there do it every 20)
    3. Gravity still sucks....esp when hauling arse down the side of a large ridge, strewn with wet timber, in the rain........you know, parallel to the incline, under the moss/fern stuff.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    Shot this Bird a 1:30 pm.....Watched four toms feed coming towards me for about one hour!!!! Once they got to where they seen my Decoys the "Game" was on...one shot with a Winchester 3 1/2" #5 ....One Dead Turkey
    icon_e_biggrin.gif
    20lbs 9.5 Beard and 1.25 spurs
    CIMG2227_zps1da61c67.jpg

CIMG2235_zps89d40724.jpg

DBoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Got out to Roush Lake today, didn't have a clue where I was gonna set up because I'd only had time to scout once before the season. Right when I started walking towards my spot I heard a pack of yotes howlin, and I thought that would ruin my chances. I got sat up under a tree and an owl hooted and then a turkey gobbled. Another turkey joined in and they were gobbling hard all morning. I tried to close the distance after I saw them fly down from their roost, but it didn't work out. I still consider this a succesful hunt considering I hadn't scouted much and it was my first time out on public land.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom