• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    395   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Even just owning the stock can be considered "constructive possion" by the ATF.
    That means that if they can, they will try to prove that by owning the stock without an approved tax stamp, you are planning to make an unapproved sbr in violation to the law.
    It doesn't happen often, but if they wanted to, they could, and would pursue it and if convicted it is a felony.
    Just having it in your possession, even if never mounted, can trigger that charge, if they choose to.
    Personally, I don't trust the ATF at all so, until the law changes, and I believe it will down the road, I follow the letter of the law.
    It's just not worth risking the consequences.
    If you don't have the submitted paperwork, yes. If you do then they generally won't bother with it since it shows intent to keep legal.

Kind of like having a receipt for renewing your car registration. Even though you don't have the registration certificate, it shows intent to renew and payment so you're good to go.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    395   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Box 4H is what you have engraved on the gun, wait for the stamp to come back as approved before engraving.
    Nope. Make sure the engraving is done before the stamp is approved. If it comes back approved and it's not engraved, it's already an improperly manufactured / non-manufacture marked firearm which is no bueno.

Ten years ago, I ran into this with the ATF with unbuilt SBR receivers and got my hand slapped. They weren't anything, not even built yet, but approved on a form 2 (a dealer's manufacturer form). Before that serial number hits the registry, it needs to be engraved even if its still in its pistol configuration, receiver, what have you.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Nope. Make sure the engraving is done before the stamp is approved. If it comes back approved and it's not engraved, it's already an improperly manufactured / non-manufacture marked firearm which is no bueno.

Ten years ago, I ran into this with the ATF with unbuilt SBR receivers and got my hand slapped. They weren't anything, not even built yet, but approved on a form 2 (a dealer's manufacturer form). Before that serial number hits the registry, it needs to be engraved even if its still in its pistol configuration, receiver, what have you.

Not doubting you , and I had mine engraved before the stamp (hard to do with 3 day turn around). That being said I had several people tell me to wait till the stamp was approved so you know the engraving is “correct”. Because TBH I was not 100% sure if I needed my middle name on the gun or not (I did not).

Top Bottom