• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I rotate between an Omega 9k and a Rugged Obsidian 45 on my SP5.
    The Obsidian is a bit quieter than the 9k, but the 9k is shorter and more compact.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but thought I'd suggest an alternative to a stock for someone wanting to go the brace route. I really like these SB Tactical SBT-G2 braces. You can buy just the brace, without the folding adapter, for stupid cheap at Modern Warrior. Then you just pair it up with whatever adapter you want (Stribog and AP5 below).

https://modernwarriors.com/product/sb-sbt2-side-folding-brace-blk-1

Screenshot 2024-10-13 081836.jpg

Neither of these guns would stabilize Federal 150gr Syntech. A call to Federal and replacement 147gr Gold Medal Match fixed that issue. In the future I need to put a tri-lug on the TiRant9M, it would look better and be shorter too. The threads are too long on both guns for my suppressors (Sig SRD45X, AAC TiRant9m), so I'm using a SilencerCo spacer on the AP5 and the Sig can has a modified piston (same previous issue with PSA AK-V, long muzzle threads).

1000007652.jpg

This is at 25 yards, 147 GMM, on a bench and rest. I've only shot the guns a few times. The Stribog has a significantly better trigger (like a good AR trigger), but with practice I think I could get the AP5 to group a little better.

20240722_111137.jpg

Mytran80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    Fort wayne
    This is a long time “want” of mine, it will be mostly a range toy but once I get a suppressor for it there is a good chance it will become my HD gun.

It’s an H&K SP5 which is the civilian version of the MP5 sub machine gun in 9mm.

Also it’s bought and paid for gentlemen, should hopefully show up Wednesday!
    For the civilian market aren’t they all (sp5 sp5k ap5 etc ) “ range toys” ? Can’t imagine anything else .

Mytran80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    Fort wayne
    View attachment 382706

Picked it up today, it’s super nice! Everything is very well finished and even in its pistol configuration it has next to no recoil at all. Going to fill out my SBR paperwork tomorrow to get a real stock on this thing, and time to order optics mounts and whatnot. The trigger is not as bad as I thought it would be at 5.5 pounds either, once it’s an SBR I doubt I will notice it as much
    I heard the eform route is much faster as to the mail in method, I wonder if you have to buy and own the rear stock first in order to fill out the eform properly

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I heard the eform route is much faster as to the mail in method, I wonder if you have to buy and own the rear stock first in order to fill out the eform properly
    Legally, if you have a stock in your possession without the approved tax stamp, and you get caught, as rare as that might be, you are in violation of the law and can, and probably will, be prosecuted by the ATF to the fullest extent that they can.
    Right or wrong, if you wish to play in this game, you have to play by their rules or you risk jail time and massive fines.

Mytran80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Legally, if you have a stock in your possession without the approved tax stamp, and you get caught, as rare as that might be, you are in violation of the law and can, and probably will, be prosecuted by the ATF to the fullest extent that they can.
    Right or wrong, if you wish to play in this game, you have to play by their rules or you risk jail time and massive fines.
    I suppose you can own the stock but not assemble it to completion as an sbr until the approval is confirmed

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I suppose you can own the stock but not assemble it to completion as an sbr until the approval is confirmed
    Even just owning the stock can be considered "constructive possion" by the ATF.
    That means that if they can, they will try to prove that by owning the stock without an approved tax stamp, you are planning to make an unapproved sbr in violation to the law.
    It doesn't happen often, but if they wanted to, they could, and would pursue it and if convicted it is a felony.
    Just having it in your possession, even if never mounted, can trigger that charge, if they choose to.
    Personally, I don't trust the ATF at all so, until the law changes, and I believe it will down the road, I follow the letter of the law.
    It's just not worth risking the consequences.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

If you don't have the stock in your possession, how else are you going to be able to measure the overall length of the firearm when assembled, which is required to put on your form 1?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    That means that if they can, they will try to prove that by owning the stock without an approved tax stamp, you are planning to make an unapproved sbr in violation to the law.
    It doesn't happen often, but if they wanted to, they could, and would pursue it and if convicted it is a felony.
    Just having it in your possession, even if never mounted, can trigger that charge, if they choose to.
    Personally, I don't trust the ATF at all so, until the law changes, and I believe it will down the road, I follow the letter of the law.
    If you don't have the stock in your possession, how else are you going to be able to measure the overall length of the firearm when assembled, which is required to put on your form 1?
    That sounds like quite the conundrum.

Who's going to take one for the team and call the AFT for clarification?

edited to add purple.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That sounds like quite the conundrum.

Who's going to take one for the team and call the AFT for clarification?
    The last thing anyone should ever do is call up the ATF and ask to have attention paid to them to determine whether they're committing a ten year federal crime.

Mytran80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    Fort wayne
    Thanks for sharing I agree always be cautious and keep your guard up play it safe

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

I did all the paperwork at my LGS so they could walk me through it since these were my first NFA items.

Box 4H is what you have engraved on the gun, wait for the stamp to come back as approved before engraving. ZR Tactical in Noblesville charges $40 to do it professionally with a laser and it’s in the stock channel so when my stock is collapsed the engraving is not visible.

For overall length we used the manufacturer listed specifications.

I e-filed and it took 3 days, once I had the stamp I took it to ZR and had it engraved and then ordered the stock. The gun has to be engraved before you put the stock on.

I would NOT do a paper form myself , e-file is significantly faster IMHO.

IMG_0442.jpeg

Mytran80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I did all the paperwork at my LGS so they could walk me through it since these were my first NFA items.

Box 4H is what you have engraved on the gun, wait for the stamp to come back as approved before engraving. ZR Tactical in Noblesville charges $40 to do it professionally with a laser and it’s in the stock channel so when my stock is collapsed the engraving is not visible.

For overall length we used the manufacturer listed specifications.

I e-filed and it took 3 days, once I had the stamp I took it to ZR and had it engraved and then ordered the stock. The gun has to be engraved before you put the stock on.

I would NOT do a paper form myself , e-file is significantly faster IMHO.

View attachment 386853
    Hey thanks for sharing your step by step procedure, got a response back from my LGS ( HK dealer) if I buy my sp5k or sp5 along with the stock ,I would take home the pistol but the stock will be at the shop until approval is confirmed , so I guess it make sense to follow your procedure at this point

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Hey thanks for sharing your step by step procedure, got a response back from my LGS ( HK dealer) if I buy my sp5k or sp5 along with the stock ,I would take home the pistol but the stock will be at the shop until approval is confirmed , so I guess it make sense to follow your procedure at this point

Buy the stock online you will probably get it cheaper, this is what I picked up and it’s a 4 position not a 3 for $100~ less than anywhere else I can find them.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    395   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Constructive possession is a thing, but they generally won't charge you with it as a stand-alone charge. They bundle it with other firearms charges.

There is leeway when you have the forms filed though. If you can prove that you have paid the tax stamp, you can possess the stock but NOT install it. Waiting on the stamp to come back allows you to have it without the "constructive possession" issue.

Don't store them together. Buy everything, measure it all, don't assemble it, file the stamp and store the stock in a different place than the firearm. When the stamp comes back, do as you will.

Top Bottom