• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    The legal ramifications for an unsafe workplace was gutted by GWB while he was in. He took the teeth out of OSHA. Mitch tried the same thing with IOSHA and got caught up in a ***tstorm. Read about what they have done to miners, MISHA has lost its teeth too. Read what they are finally admitting about our nukes and safety there, NRC was gutted.

If you REALLY think lawmakers and companies have your safety in their thoughts, you haven NOT been paying attention for the past several years.

Money out of OUR pockets goes to fight for safety in the workplace for everyone, not just card carrying members, and yet people have the gall to say Unions ONLY care about themselves even though every safety measure we fight to keep or improve helps more NON Union people than it does Union.

You guys keep having your biased opinion and believing the crap that politicians and businesses spill and eventually you will win and it will be sweat shops for $5 a week and no safety concerns all over again. Go do your reading on what has been done to the safety organizations in this country before you try to argue the point.

I had that problem at work.(i work for a large-nonamerican-nonunion manufacturer). I'm an assembler But i'm a pretty big fella so people around the factory ask for my help from time to time with moving heavy stuff.

While back, My Manager asked me to move some inventory from a rack of shelves up front about chest high to a rack in back. I pulled a tote off the shelf and dropped it, twisting my back pretty hard in the process. The tubs were labeled 25lbs and ended up weighing over 100lbs. I called over my manager Manager and showed him the issue.

He said "Wow, How did that happen? That could have crippled somebody smaller than you".

He then walked me over to our in house Med-station where i grabbed a couple Tylenol a coke and rested for bout half an hour. While i was down he grabbed QA and set up re-training for our put-away people. When I got back he helped me transfer the inventory into correctly labeled tubs. He then thanked me and noted it as a positively in my review :yesway:

So what would a Union had done for me there? Just curious.

Hghlndr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Kosciusko County
    if you're happy, not being union, i'm sure you haven't been in a union before:twocents:

I've been in multiple unions; IBEW and USW are just two and I haven't seen anything but corruption in any of them. My father was in the IBEW for 40 years and he has nothing good to say about it. I have been on the losing end of a bad contract that was pushed for by the union president and as soon as he got it passed he amazingly drove to work in a brand new truck the next week. Coincident I think not.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I had that problem at work.(i work for a large-nonamerican-nonunion manufacturer). I'm an assembler But i'm a pretty big fella so people around the factory ask for my help from time to time with moving heavy stuff.

While back, My Manager asked me to move some inventory from a rack of shelves up front about chest high to a rack in back. I pulled a tote off the shelf and dropped it, twisting my back pretty hard in the process. The tubs were labeled 25lbs and ended up weighing over 100lbs. I called over my manager Manager and showed him the issue.

He said "Wow, How did that happen? That could have crippled somebody smaller than you".

He then walked me over to our in house Med-station where i grabbed a couple Tylenol a coke and rested for bout half an hour. While i was down he grabbed QA and set up re-training for our put-away people. When I got back he helped me transfer the inventory into correctly labeled tubs. He then thanked me and noted it as a positively in my review :yesway:

So what would a Union had done for me there? Just curious.

If one of my guys get injured, I'll have you see a doctor, then have you working "LIGHT DUTY" until you're 100% able to return, make sure you receive PHYSICAL THERAPY until your 100% healthy. All this time you'll be collecting 100% of your paycheck:rockwoot:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If one of my guys get injured, I'll have you see a doctor, then have you working "LIGHT DUTY" until you're 100% able to return, make sure you receive PHYSICAL THERAPY until your 100% healthy. All this time you'll be collecting 100% of your paycheck:rockwoot:

Maybe even get you on permanent total disability, whether you were really hurt or not. And if they catch you and find out you were faking, they will make them continue employing you. Pretty good deal really.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If the dumbest person in the world gets a union card, they make the same as a competent worker. ....

I don't know what your experience is with the unions, but where I work if you can't do the job we send you down the road. If you screw something up, yep down the road.
    I install natural gas mains and services, I'm responsible for 5 yrs. for every fuse I make. If I put a bad fuse in the ground houses could blow up and people could die.
    Yep the dumbest people in the world get union cards and have no repercussions for screwing things up.
    People that have no experience with every union job should really do some investigating before they open their mouths. just because your cousin's friend brother told you that people can't get fired from a union job doesn't mean its true

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Paid for by whom? The Union? Or perhaps Workers Compensation?

Who makes the determination of light duty again? I thought it was up to the doctor....Are you saying that you can do this?
    At what point would all of this non productivity with 100% paycheck start to take place?

Your union dues also get sent to give huge campaign contributions to polititicians in hopes that none will ever, EVER, give the people to have power over them.

I'll say it flat out, I am against unions, especially those in the service and manufacturing industries.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Let's clear this up right now. Production plant Unions may operate that way, skilled trade Unions do not. If you can't do the work and get the job done, you're RIF or laid off, fired, let go, hit the road. We also have no seniority system, no paid time off, as in holidays, vacations, sick days or personal time.

So, before you lump everyone into one sack get your facts straight because your facts are a mile off.

Let me get these facts straight.

If being in the union does not benefit you above and beyond the pay and benefits that your particular skillset and resume demands, then what is the point of the union?

kevman is correct I'm a union Pipefitter, no seniority, no paid time off, I don't work I don't get paid.

Point of the union is to keep my skills current with new technologies

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Paid for by whom? The Union? Or perhaps Workers Compensation?

Who makes the determination of light duty again? I thought it was up to the doctor....Are you saying that you can do this?
    At what point would all of this non productivity with 100% paycheck start to take place?

Your union dues also get sent to give huge campaign contributions to polititicians in hopes that none will ever, EVER, give the people to have power over them.

I'll say it flat out, I am against unions, especially those in the service and manufacturing industries.

The Doctor will give the restriction, I will make sure you'll get light duty, so you won't burn your SICK DAYS or 4 weeks of VACATION, The company will paid you 60 days of light duty & then you'll get WORKMAN'S COMP:yesway:

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky

They checked me out at the Med station and offered to send me to the docs office. I felt good enough to return tho. I rubbed some dirt on it and HTFU. I like to work tho.

All the stuff your union does My company does.

-If I'm hurt the have first responders. (all i have to do is yell)
    -If the responders or Med-station feel I'm injured they can force me to go the the doc. Or if they think I'm Ok and i think they are wrong I can take PTO and go myself.
    -If the Doc says I'm unfit they send me to do an low impact job.
    -If I'm really messed up i have short and long term disability.
    -I have insurance for all my occupational therapy needs.
    -And if i don't want to take my disability can go into the negative on my PTO. However, if i'm in the negative and i separate from the company they deduct it from my last paycheck

Gonna be honest. I can only see is negatives if my company went union. A union seems like a middleman creating ill-will between me and my boss.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    They checked me out at the Med station and offered to send me to the docs office. I felt good enough to return tho. I rubbed some dirt on it and HTFU. I like to work tho.

All the stuff your union does My company does.

-If I'm hurt the have first responders. (all i have to do is yell)
    -If the responders or Mad-station feel I'm injured they can force me to go the the doc. Or if they think I'm Ok and i think they are wrong I can take PTO and go myself.
    -If the Doc says I'm unfit they send me to do an low impact job.
    -If I'm really messed up i have short and long term disability.
    -I have insurance for all my occupational therapy needs.
    -And if i don't want to take my disability can go into the negative on my PTO. However, if i'm in the negative and i separate from the company they deduct it from my last paycheck

Gonna be honest. I can only see is negatives if my company went union. A union seems like a middleman creating ill-will between me and my boss.

If you're hurt are the PTO coming from your sick days or vacation, do you get a pension:dunno:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Don't know know what union your in but I have to sign up to have money put tword a political fund they can't just take money from me

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    If you're hurt are the PTO coming from your sick days or vacation, do you get a pension:dunno:

PTO is a single pot for us. We use it for whatever/whenever. Our immediate supervisor can turn it down though if we give less than 72 hours notice. (unless we provide a doctor's note). But you better be unconscious or bleeding out or currently engaged in hand -to-hand combat with zombies if you no-call no-show.

We have accruing PTO throughout the year. And the total you get is based on your seniority. Currently i max out at 121 hours with up to 40 in the negative.

I waste my PTO tho. I will commonly get my work done early on Friday then if I'm not needed burn 2 hours and get a head start on the weekend.

And yes on the pension. Not sure what the duration or percentage is tho off the top of my head. And we also have 401k matching up to 6% of our annual gross.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Don't know know what union your in but I have to sign up to have money put tword a political fund they can't just take money from me

Lists top contributors and which party(s) they made 'donations' to.

Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2010 | OpenSecrets

An article about Service Employess Internation expenditures to political campaigns

Fargo american government Articles, Fargo american government News | Examiner.com

Leading Union Polical Contributors:

Leading Union Political Contributions…It’s Obvious Who The Democrats Work For « Rock River Patriots

Still say your Union doesn't use your dues to promote it's own political safety net? Sure, it's illegal, Directly that is. That's why they have Political Action Commities.... Unions have done as everything they can to keep the Dems in power. They know that the Dems will never place any restrictions on them without giving them a loophole so they can conduct business as usual.

Same Wolf, Different Fleece.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The reason that there is not a violation is that Boing didn't throw out the union bums and close the factory. Those union "workers" still have their jobs. What the company did is build a new factory. In free state that would be legal however Oby don't see it that way.

LOF glass opened the largest glass plant in the world I Lauribburg NCin the 80's. Both management and labor are very pleased with the situation.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    PTO is a single pot for us. We use it for whatever/whenever. Our immediate supervisor can turn it down though if we give less than 72 hours notice. (unless we provide a doctor's note). But you better be unconscious or bleeding out or currently engaged in hand -to-hand combat with zombies if you no-call no-show.

We have accruing PTO throughout the year. And the total you get is based on your seniority. Currently i max out at 121 hours with up to 40 in the negative.

I waste my PTO tho. I will commonly get my work done early on Friday then if I'm not needed burn 2 hours and get a head start on the weekend.

And yes on the pension. Not sure what the duration or percentage is tho off the top of my head. And we also have 401k matching up to 6% of our annual gross.

What is this no show-no call you speak of, I've told the lead man if some one doesn't show up to work, call them & find out what is wrong, If they can't get a hold of the worker, then a SICK DAY will be issued BUT NEVER GIVE a WORK a NO-SHOW NO CALL cause they can be fired;)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Then why was the taxpayer and secured creditors hosed so incredibly on the Chrysler and GM bailouts? The unions even got several billions awhile back for their pensions, from said companies. Detroit?

I'm not a member of the UAW, but I think the bail-out were cause by upper management not producing cars AMERICANS wanted

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Doctor will give the restriction, I will make sure you'll get light duty, so you won't burn your SICK DAYS or 4 weeks of VACATION, The company will paid you 60 days of light duty & then you'll get WORKMAN'S COMP:yesway:

That isn't correct, unless you work for one of the few special exceptions that do not fall under Indiana WC. But since you mention it, I assume that is not the case. Indiana WC says that after 7 days you start drawing temporary total disability if you are off work. If you are still off at day 22 (these are calendar days, not work days) then you get paid for the first 7 as well. If you are released with modified or restricted duties that decrease your pay, then you will be compensated for that as well. The union isn't doing that, the insurance company that your employer pays premiums too is.

Top Bottom