• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Great reading your handling of the situation. Not quarterbacking but help my learning curve here.

Why did you not use your car panic alarm as you retreated? Some reasons going through my mind:
    - Keys not in your hand?
    - Not to your advantage?
    - Didn't think of it?
    - Would not have mattered?
    - Male pride not allowing you to ask for help?
    - Too old to use those fancy toys like cell phones and car alarms?

Having a cell phone in the situation would have been useless for me. I am so slow with my cell phone that it would have required my full attention to be able to find the camera button to take a photo. Not sure I would have wanted to look away from the threat that long.

►Keys were in my hand.

►I have a car alarm on my keys? Since when? Maybe the originals had one. Got me.

►I did ask for help. The nice lady took a photo of the suspect for me which the coppers now have. The nice lady also gave me a name of another witness that was behind us.

►I don't carry a cell phone. It's Sunday. I want to go to training, then coffee, maybe brunch. And then I want to get errands done or go to the range and shoot, and want to come home and clean and then maybe work out again with the boys or on the mook in my basement. I don't want to read 93 e-mails about how he was 5 minutes late to the hostage exchange at the McDonald's in Merrillville or the 47 sleeve pulling texts. I am not one of those people that fiddle like a monkey with the gadget. In fact, on the weekend, I despise it. I want to unplug and be left alone. Every pro has a con. I got it. My informed choice.

►Cell phone means my head is down. I kept my head up and looked around.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ►I don't carry a cell phone. It's Sunday. I want to go to training, then coffee, maybe brunch. And then I want to get errands done or go to the range and shoot, and want to come home and clean and then maybe work out again with the boys or on the mook in my basement. I don't want to read 93 e-mails about how he was 5 minutes late to the hostage exchange at the McDonald's in Merrillville or the 47 sleeve pulling texts. I am not one of those people that fiddle like a monkey with the gadget. In fact, on the weekend, I despise it. I want to unplug and be left alone. Every pro has a con. I got it. My informed choice.

Man after my own heart.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    ►Keys were in my hand.

►I have a car alarm on my keys? Since when? Maybe the originals had one. Got me.

►I did ask for help. The nice lady took a photo of the suspect for me which the coppers now have. The nice lady also gave me a name of another witness that was behind us.

:+1: In the AF it's the equivalent of getting your head out of the cockpit...stop fiddling with your gadgets and pay attention to what's going on around you!

When I retire I'm going back to the DuKane rotary sitting downstairs in my Alert Facility. My only use for a cell phone in this situation would be as a projectile; but then again it would require me having that in my hand instead of something useful.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    FFR for those with Android phones, most of the newer ones can open the camera quickly by double tapping the power button.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You can turn on "do not disturb". That way, you'll avoid the interruptions and be sort of unplugged, but yet have your phone when you spot the bad guy.

So when you have your phone with you, you can start a live stream on your favorite social streaming venue. You can heckle the guy as he stalks you. You can make fun of his teeth. His clothes. Maybe give him some pointers how to be a less obvious bad guy next time as you play ring around the jeep. While you're live-streaming him chasing you around the jeep you can do a quick google for rehab centers and maybe suggest a few to him. You know. Really taunt him. Troll him. And shout out to the super chats as you go. Might as well earn some bucks while being mugged.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You can turn on "do not disturb". That way, you'll avoid the interruptions and be sort of unplugged, but yet have your phone when you spot the bad guy.

So when you have your phone with you, you can start a live stream on your favorite social streaming venue. You can heckle the guy as he stalks you. You can make fun of his teeth. His clothes. Maybe give him some pointers how to be a less obvious bad guy next time as you play ring around the jeep. While you're live-streaming him chasing you around the jeep you can do a quick google for rehab centers and maybe suggest a few to him. You know. Really taunt him. Troll him. And shout out to the super chats as you go. Might as well earn some bucks while being mugged.

Someone appears to be confusing the internet with the real world.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Someone appears to be confusing the internet with the real world.

The internet is a part of the real world. Really. It is. I'm just having a bit of fun with that reality. When we start seeing victims livestreaming crimes against them, I'm going to say I told you so.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The internet is a part of the real world. Really. It is. I'm just having a bit of fun with that reality. When we start seeing victims livestreaming crimes against them, I'm going to say I told you so.

Aren't you a bit late to that party?

I recall at least 1 guy in Chicago (and for some reason I'm thinking it was 2 different times up there) live-streaming himself getting shot. I think it was a drive-by.

Now, that was more or less unintentional victim-streaming, I think, but it still validates your concept.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, if they ever put a camera at the tip of the guide rod of a Glock19, you'll probably get a great view of my "victim response". :)

I dunno. A guide rod cam doesn't seem all that likely. But I could see a rail mount. But dude. C'mon. If you're gonna life stream it attached to your gun, why you wanna sream ugly? You need a purdy 1911. Or maybe a sig. At least a CZ. Glock is just not very styly.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I dunno. A guide rod cam doesn't seem all that likely. But I could see a rail mount. But dude. C'mon. If you're gonna life stream it attached to your gun, why you wanna sream ugly? You need a purdy 1911. Or maybe a sig. At least a CZ. Glock is just not very styly.

Oh, I have a nice H&K that I wouldn't want to pimp out. Sigs just never fit my hands right and I always string them low. Center, but low. I really like CZ's and have owned a bunch. 1911's as well...but now that I'm old, I want a gun that doesn't need lube, doesn't need to be cleaned and can fire ammo that I drop in the mud, after I've dropped the firearm from the second story onto concrete.

That be a Glock 19. I did put a nice trigger in it though. It took me a long time to come around, but the Glock 19 might be the best fighting 9mm on the planet.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom