• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    $0.02: You may want to invest in some kind of motion-detection auto-on lights as well. Pretty inexpensive at a lot of stores, and a little light puts most would-be criminals on the move to darker pastures.

which gave our thieves ample light to strip the boat of batteries and any fishing gear that got missed when the boys got back.
    gave them plenty of light to get into the shed and steal the rest of the gear that did get put away.
    5K total lost. We were home, sound asleep.

We've always had the lights out back, I don't know if it has ever deterred anyone, but I know it hasn't deterred at least 3 separate times where they still took what they wanted.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Automated laser guns mounted to the outside of your house should take care of unwanted intruders. Maybe a moat with some sharks too.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    which gave our thieves ample light to strip the boat of batteries and any fishing gear that got missed when the boys got back.
    gave them plenty of light to get into the shed and steal the rest of the gear that did get put away.

We've always had the lights out back, I don't know if it has ever deterred anyone, but I know it hasn't deterred at least 3 separate times where they still took what they wanted.

Mus' not have no 4-leg'd kids.....huh?......:dunno:

I'm kind'a off'a beat'n path......ain't never had no trouble in 18 yrs I've lived here. But I got dogs......had 10 of'em, at 1 time....:):.....but I've lost several 'long the way....:(

main point is......I swear, they can hear a fly take a shizz.....from 'cross the field.....OR......can be all'a way in back the lot......but they know when the fridge door opens....LOLOLOL!.....:):

Ser'ous note, tho......they know when sumbody hits the drive (gravel) off main Hwy (1500 ft away)......an' they's only 1 way in'is place.....:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our fuel tanks have been siphoned at least 3 times in the last few months. There are 5 vehicles on my property and all have been hit. I think it is a newish neighbor a few doors down or their friends or both.
    They did not do anything in the fresh snow as I have been looking. After the mailman comes through a few times it is easy enough to use his tracks. I put nasty little warning notes in the filler doors and nothing has been disturbed. I am seriously Pi$$ed and not sure what will happen if and when we catch them.
    Nothing LEO can do.
    We are hanging more lights this weekend in hopes that the roaches will stay out of the light.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    If wearing sweats, or summer shorts, I keep a shoulder holster w/ secured firearm handy. Also have Kevlar armour vest hanging, US Army tankers holster, slip on sneakers, and back up gun for Wifey in the nightstand. Surefire light in case if needed hung on Kevlar vest straps.

All my lights work, have sensor style and couple of regular outdoor style. Quartz are bright, bug lights on timers. We lock up cars everynight, and doors secured. If by myself at home will keep a firearm within an arms reach, sometimes in between a newspaper. Prepared, not paranoid.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Mus' not have no 4-leg'd kids.....huh?......:dunno:

I'm kind'a off'a beat'n path......ain't never had no trouble in 18 yrs I've lived here. But I got dogs......had 10 of'em, at 1 time....:):.....but I've lost several 'long the way....:(

main point is......I swear, they can hear a fly take a shizz.....from 'cross the field.....OR......can be all'a way in back the lot......but they know when the fridge door opens....LOLOLOL!.....:):

Ser'ous note, tho......they know when sumbody hits the drive (gravel) off main Hwy (1500 ft away)......an' they's only 1 way in'is place.....:yesway:

3 of the 4 legged canine kids. They are bassets and they are busy doing their favorite thing at night, sleep.

we hooked up a driveway alarm after the fishing gear theft. It's gone off a few times, never caught anyone though

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The first thing I do when I come home every day is to put the EDC in the safe and take out the house gun. It is with me everywhere I go until it goes back in the safe the next morning prior to me leaving for work. Last fall some teenagers, we believe, smashed one of the windows in my car and went through it. There was nothing of value to take. I heard the car alarm go off but it didn't register that it was mine. By the time I got up to check they were gone. It was a little frustrating but no big deal. That's why I have insurance. I'm still not sure what I would have done if I had caught them in the act. Probably better that I didn't have to make that decision while half asleep.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    3 of the 4 legged canine kids. They are bassets and they are busy doing their favorite thing at night, sleep.

we hooked up a driveway alarm after the fishing gear theft. It's gone off a few times, never caught anyone though

:):.....My Beaglehound 'Hopper'.....

But he'll still tune-up (bay like hell,haha) at a strange noise......:):

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I don't always have a gun on me inside my house but have one close. Might help that I have my squad car in front of the house
    and for my first stupid and clearly not thought out idea of the day!! Buy a retired Leo squad car with a blown engine and park it in front if the house, put some fake lights on top and make it look legit, and wala! Instant criminal deterrent.......Disclamer: this idea is probably ridiculous and is full of un-thought out details, please do not take it seriously...doing so may make you look like an idiot.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Harley, he's a veteran and is just pacing himself. Looks like a good boy.

:):......He spoil't rotten,LOL......an' he is, a REAL good boy....:yesway:
    Long ta short......found'im out'n front the place back around 2000, come'n in from work, stop'd at mailbox, an' there he was 15' away lay'n in the grass.....ne'd been hit.....:(.....got'im ta my vet, jus' had a crack'd hip, he'd been 'bump'd' , as she put it. He hop'd around fer 'bout 3 wks on 3 legs....I named him 'Hoppe' :):.....call'im Hopper, fer the most part.....:):

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't always have a gun on me inside my house but have one close. Might help that I have my squad car in front of the house

Isn't it fairly regular that you hear of an LEO whose car was broken into and now his tactical gear, computer, shotgun etc are now missing? If cop cars aren't deterrents I'm not sure what is.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A motion light that is attached to an audio clip of a deep toned barking dog would probably be a better deterrent. That would alert you and let you know something had activated the light.

I would think it could be wired into a motion light with little issue. Might even disconnect the light

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well there goes my idea out the e-window! Sorry you had such rotten luck. I've always heard having lights is a deterrent, but maybe that's the light bulb manufacturers talking.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    3...2...1...BANG!

Home invaders just kicked in your front door.
    You have 10 seconds (or less) to arm yourself.

Did you make it?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :):......He spoil't rotten,LOL......an' he is, a REAL good boy....:yesway:
    Long ta short......found'im out'n front the place back around 2000, come'n in from work, stop'd at mailbox, an' there he was 15' away lay'n in the grass.....ne'd been hit.....:(.....got'im ta my vet, jus' had a crack'd hip, he'd been 'bump'd' , as she put it. He hop'd around fer 'bout 3 wks on 3 legs....I named him 'Hoppe' :):.....call'im Hopper, fer the most part.....:):

You might type real funny, but you're a good human. :yesway:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Glad there was no harm / no fowl. One thing you can count on about home invasions, and that is that they always occur at home (chances are this was only a potential theft). This is one of the reasons that unless I'm in bed or in the shower, I'm carrying. The other main reason I carry at home is to stay used to the feeling / responsibility of always carrying.
    Yeah, chicken prints are easy enough to recognize. Good thing they weren't the culprits though.

Dont count on it. They still tried to steal Frank's truck. Sure, he keeps his cruiser in the garage, but you cant tell me they never saw it out, come or go, etc. Sometimes they either dont care, or well.... Just arent all that smart. :dunno:

Just when you think they arent that stupid, somebody goes and tries to prove you wrong.
    I can if the thieves dont' live in the neighborhood. When our truck was stolen, I have reason to believe they were looking for something to replace the one they abandoned around the corner from me (right across from my rental actually). The abandoned truck was another Powerstroke. Both that one and ours had temp tags on it. It is common enough for thieves to target un-plated vehicles in the hopes that the owners might not have registered them yet. At the very least it makes it just a little bit harder to track since another common tactic is for them to steal the temp tags themselves. (Scared off a scumbag trying to do that to one of our trucks too.) But back to the original point. I don't think the thieves were local.

3...2...1...BANG!

Home invaders just kicked in your front door.
    You have 10 seconds (or less) to arm yourself.

Did you make it?
    In 10 seconds? Not right now at the computer. But I've got more than 10 seconds because I've got 2 fur-coated razor blades. And I know without a doubt the intruder isn't getting 5 feet into the house before becoming a free sample bar for the hounds.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom