Some idiot put 60+-70+lbs air in wife's tires!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    So, if you know me you know the farmer motto is if a little’s good, more is better and too much is almost just enough.
    We tighten semi tires and 3/4 and ton trucks and never paid much attention.

Then I bought a Tundra.
    It says “Tun” right in the name and I treat it as such from time to time.

But - there are only 5 lug bolts! I decided to start paying attention and I’m glad I did, as I’m sure I would have broken lug bolts.

Torque sticks are your friend. It’s gotta be some kind of dark magic, but you can use an impact with peace of mind.
    They only work if you use an impact. Oh, and if you use anti seize or lube the studs be sure to adjust your final torque value properly so you don't over torque them.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    They only work if you use an impact. Oh, and if you use anti seize or lube the studs be sure to adjust your final torque value properly so you don't over torque them.
    Yes, somehow they will break if you use a breaker bar. Not sure why.
    I like anti seize on the semis, which is illegal I guess, but not much else especially if the bolt is covered by the nut.
    And the semis are plenty of ugga-duggas. Not too many, but plenty.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I like anti seize on the semis, which is illegal I guess, but not much else especially if the bolt is covered by the nut.
    The torque sticks are designed to twist or flex at a specific torque. An impact will twist and reset with each impact. Once the design torque the stick just flexes, it can't deliver any more torque to the nut.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Every vehicle that I have had in recent years has had factory alloy wheels. It's my understanding that alloy wheels should always be torqued to spec? Then checked again after 50 miles?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    zsFyvDF.png

Learned something new today...what a torque stick is. I always used a beam torque wrench, wasn't about to touch Dad's Snap-On.

About 30-some years ago, helped my cousin change out wheels and rims on a truck he was selling. Put aluminum outlaw rims on and used the impact. He drove it a few miles and almost lost a wheel. Learned the importance of torquing lug nuts.

And @HoughMade is right, my 3/4 ton truck with load range E tires are rated for 80psi. I run 60psi all around for a better ride.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There are some vehicles especially hybrids and electric cars that actually use higher tire pressure because the tires are designed to have less rolling resistance. Also, in some cases when a tire that's a different load rating is installed it may require a different pressure than what the OEM tire & what the placard in the door jamb says. This can simply be a matter of the original tire was say a Michelin but the replacement is a Tire barn cheapo brand. It's the right size but the speed rating or load range maybe different which is a difference in its construction.
    The manufacturer gave a recommended pressure, based on the tires they install and ride quality, fuel mileage etc.
    Unfortunately many tires are replaced based on what fits and price. Most people (tire shops included) don't pay attention anything but the size.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    zsFyvDF.png

Learned something new today...what a torque stick is. I always used a beam torque wrench, wasn't about to touch Dad's Snap-On.

About 30-some years ago, helped my cousin change out wheels and rims on a truck he was selling. Put aluminum outlaw rims on and used the impact. He drove it a few miles and almost lost a wheel. Learned the importance of torquing lug nuts.

And @HoughMade is right, my 3/4 ton truck with load range E tires are rated for 80psi. I run 60psi all around for a better ride.
    That's fine for better ride, but if you haul a serious load or tow a heavy trailer it should be bumped up into the 75-80 psi range.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lug torque is important so you don't warp rotors or have a loose wheel obviously.
    It's always a good idea to check proper torque with a torque wrench as most know. A Torque stick is better than nothing but some newer impacts come with a warning not to use a torque stick due to how powerful they are. As an example my 1/2 drive impact is rated at 1,200 ftlb (technically that's breakaway) but it takes some finesse and common sense not to over tighten with it and came with such a warning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Using a thread lube merely assists in attaining proper torque values.
    It’s why ARP fasteners developed their own thread lube. Running a nut down dry threads against a dry surface will alter your spec. Not enough to end the world but it does. Or so I have been told by more than a few very talented and much smarter than me individuals.
    Not wanting to start an argument just stating some that is practiced by Eve major engine builder out there.
    The torque wrench still breaks at the same setting.
    Run an impact on a lug bolt and the possibility of getting it freaky tight is there. But not a torque device.
    :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lug torque is important so you don't warp rotors or have a loose wheel obviously.
    It's always a good idea to check proper torque with a torque wrench as most know. A Torque stick is better than nothing but some newer impacts come with a warning not to use a torque stick due to how powerful they are. As an example my 1/2 drive impact is rated at 1,200 ftlb (technically that's breakaway) but it takes some finesse and common sense not to over tighten with it and came with such a warning.
    Bingo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not heard of the legality involved with using anti seize.
    Interesting.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Probably a faulty air gauge!
    A good tire shop will have a master gauge to check the other gauge's.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Plenty of Ugg’s-duggas with a 1” drive impact is nothing to sneeze at! Those suckers are on there!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Not heard of the legality involved with using anti seize.
    Interesting.
    It looks like the equivalent of the g***k vs 1911 argument. Lots of opinions, no links. Urban legend maybe?

My understanding is that torque specs are either wet or dry. It’s it’s a dry spec and you lube, to reach the torque spec to have the possibility of stretching the bolt/over stressed the threads.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was taught years ago that if the spec is a "dry" spec such as a lug nut but you choose to use some lube on the threads it can have up to 30% more torque than whatever the spec is. So a lug nut with a 100 ftlb dry spec could actually end up at 130 ftlb by tightening it wet. However, any torque spec has a +/- factor and torque wrench accuracy varies. Not only that thread cleanliness can affect torque as well as the condition of the threads.
    For non torque to yield fasteners such as lug nuts that generally not enough to cause a problem. Especially if you tighten them in a cross or star pattern and tighten them evenly

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I hada 1966 International Scout 4x4 untill the early 2000's and took it to a tire shop for new tires. Kid comes out of the back to tell me they cannot break the drivers side lug nuts loose. I explained the "L" on the end of the studs meant left hand threads. Jim.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Using a thread lube merely assists in attaining proper torque values.
    It’s why ARP fasteners developed their own thread lube. Running a nut down dry threads against a dry surface will alter your spec. Not enough to end the world but it does. Or so I have been told by more than a few very talented and much smarter than me individuals.
    Not wanting to start an argument just stating some that is practiced by Eve major engine builder out there.
    The torque wrench still breaks at the same setting.
    Run an impact on a lug bolt and the possibility of getting it freaky tight is there. But not a torque device.
    :)
    Torquing a fastener dry will reduce the applied clamping force because more of the torque is used to overcome the friction of the dry threads and bolt head. This is why you should always use a lubricant. A dry thread torqued to the same number as a properly lubed one will not have the same clamping force. I think we are saying the same thing, just using different words.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Torquing a fastener dry will reduce the applied clamping force because more of the torque is used to overcome the friction of the dry threads and bolt head. This is why you should always use a lubricant. A dry thread torqued to the same number as a properly lubed one will not have the same clamping force. I think we are saying the same thing, just using different words.
    That’s exactly what I said silly :):

Top Bottom