Some idiot put 60+-70+lbs air in wife's tires!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My better half asked me to check her 2008 Buick LaCrosse car tires before she left for a 100 mile trip each way..
    ALL FOUR had pressures ranging from 61-73 lbs of air in them!
    What kind of idiot would do this?
    Manufacturer calls for 30-32 lbs and I corrected them.

I told her she's lucky she didn't hit a hard bump and have a blowout.
    She didn't know who could've done this, but it just backs my longtime distrust of having ANYBODY touch my vehicles unless I trust them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Nobody checks tire pressure anymore. They set level on the machine, put the chuck on the valve, and the machine does the rest. If the machine is wrong this is what you get. If it was one tire I might suspect differently but when all four are the same something uniform occurred.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Nobody checks tire pressure anymore. They set level on the machine, put the chuck on the valve, and the machine does the rest. If the machine is wrong this is what you get. If it was one tire I might suspect differently but when all four are the same something uniform occurred.
    She had new tires put on some weeks back and I thought maybe after seating the bead they didn't let the extra air out.

Only thing was, she only got TWO new tires and not all four.
    YET all four tires were way over inflated.
    So i don't know.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    That would fit my donut spare assumption. Someone was filling a spare and didn’t reset machine and next idiot didn’t check machine.

When is the last time anyone checked their spare tire pressure?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That would fit my donut spare assumption. Someone was filling a spare and didn’t reset machine and next idiot didn’t check machine.

When is the last time anyone checked their spare tire pressure?
    I think the dealer that does my service should. It just occurred to me that I have a 17 yo full size spare on my truck that has never been removed. It is probably dry rotted and junk.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My dealer checks it because he asked about who put more in it once.
    Another time he got on me for over tightening my lug nuts. I told him i just tightened them down until they felt tight.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My dealer checks it because he asked about who put more in it once.
    Another time he got on me for over tightening my lug nuts. I told him i just tightened them down until they felt tight.
    I've never used a torque wrench on my lug nuts. Seems if it were that important, they would include a torque wrench with your jack instead of a standard tire tool. Now I've got the impact wrench if I'm at home. They're either tight or they're not.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Proper lugnut torque is two ugga-duggas, right?

This reminds me, I need to let air out of my my truck tires. They were installed in Feb and aired to 35PSI cold...now they're 39 cold and get as high as 42 driving 20 miles to work.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Just spitballin' here. Will the average "vending machine" compressors at gas stations even inflate to that level? That leaves it to someone who has a legit air compressor.
    Good catch edporch.
    I would think they would. A lot of bicycle tires are near that range.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Proper lugnut torque is two ugga-duggas, right?
    Though I have a pneumatic impact wrench, I have taught my sons that the final tightening is always by hand...because if you have to put the spare on, you will need to loosen them by hand.

BTW- larger trucks, 3/4 ton and above regularly run 60 psi and above. Often, rears are 80 psi.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Though I have a pneumatic impact wrench, I have taught my sons that the final tightening is always by hand...because if you have to put the spare on, you will need to loosen them by hand.

BTW- larger trucks, 3/4 ton and above regularly run 60 psi and above. Often, rears are 80 psi.
    All our vehicles (Honda Odyssey, Hyundai Elantra Touring and Dodge Ram 1500) are all 40 psi +. I think the truck is 45 psi.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've never used a torque wrench on my lug nuts. Seems if it were that important, they would include a torque wrench with your jack instead of a standard tire tool. Now I've got the impact wrench if I'm at home. They're either tight or they're not.
    I actually do torque my lug nuts, but I think if somebody uses common sense they won't be far off.

What I hate are the places that go nuts with an impact wrench and it takes a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts.
    Plus it can warp the rotors.
    So I usually check them when anybody else has tightened them.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

That's a good practice to be on the safe side.
    But my dad owned a service station for 50 years or so, and the guys that ran it taught me it's OK to use the impact wrench as long as you use "common sense".
    They never over tightened lug nuts with an impact wrench, and this was using a 180psi air compressor that also operated the lift.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I always check and fill my air myself. Learned my lesson years ago, took my Corvette to the dealer for an oil change and minor repair. First warning was when they tried to charge me for a tire rotation—unidirectional staggered tires, I think not! As I was leaving the dealership my TPMS light came on. Checking the monitor tires were 65 psi Not the 32 on the freaking sticker that Chevy put on the car! Service guy said “but thats what is on the tire!” (Max inflation 65 psi). Never returned to that Chevy dealer. In fact, during all the years I owned vettes I never found a chevy dealer in Indy that knew diddly squat about working on them.

Top Bottom