So who was it drawing attention to themselves at Beech Grove H.S.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    this happened here in Greenfield last year at my daughter's school.
    a man went to have lunch with his child. he was walking around the school with an empty holster on his hip.
    a teacher called 911 to report MWAG. when the police came to investigate...they realized he had "innocently" locked his gun in his car, thinking that he was doing the right thing. obviously he was not...and he was charged with a felony.

"They" realized he had innocently locked his gun in his car, or he did?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    this happened here in Greenfield last year at my daughter's school.
    a man went to have lunch with his child. he was walking around the school with an empty holster on his hip.
    a teacher called 911 to report MWAG. when the police came to investigate...they realized he had "innocently" locked his gun in his car, thinking that he was doing the right thing. obviously he was not...and he was charged with a felony.
    When it comes to that, even if you park off school property, why not remove your holster as well? It will save you lots of headaches.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When it comes to that, even if you park off school property, why not remove your holster as well? It will save you lots of headaches.

The OWB holster I wear, a Raven Phantom, is a royal PAIN to don and doff. Seriously a royal pain.

It's a 5 min process to put it on, and more than a few mins to remove. That's a lot of work to be doing whilst standing next to a vehicle all while any number of folks can watch what I'm doing...

-J-

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The OWB holster I wear, a Raven Phantom, is a royal PAIN to don and doff. Seriously a royal pain.

It's a 5 min process to put it on, and more than a few mins to remove. That's a lot of work to be doing whilst standing next to a vehicle all while any number of folks can watch what I'm doing...

-J-

So you'd rather leave it on and enter a "gun free zone" and see what happens?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

I've entered a courthouse with an empty holster before. The officer at the metal detector just asked what kind of gun I carry, some smalltalk.

I was wondering this yesterday though... why does INGO have such a large LEO presence? Do they just happen to like guns? Or do they come here to catch people admit to crimes?

Did becoming a LEO get you interested in guns? Or did being interested in guns lead you to becoming a LEO? Or are the two unrelated?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I don't want to see anyone lose their 2nd Amendment rights by catching a felony conviction. Why draw unneccessary attention to yourself and take the chance?

I understand that. But for all we know he left his firearm at home and was just doing it to make a statement. Who cares about unnecessary attention? Oh thats right, those concealed carry guys...:popcorn:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The OP never said it was illegal.
    Just that this person drew his attention.
    So maybe next time he should leave the holster with the gun (off school ground) or cover the empty holster. :dunno:
    Actually, wearing an empty holster might be a good way to silently protest the gun free zones. Maybe!?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I've entered a courthouse with an empty holster before. The officer at the metal detector just asked what kind of gun I carry, some smalltalk.

I was wondering this yesterday though... why does INGO have such a large LEO presence? Do they just happen to like guns? Or do they come here to catch people admit to crimes?

Did becoming a LEO get you interested in guns? Or did being interested in guns lead you to becoming a LEO? Or are the two unrelated?

You really think I joined INGO to catch people admitting to crimes?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville

-J-
    5 minutes to avoid being unnecessarily hassled for a lot more than 5 minutes sounds like a good trade off to me.

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    If I were an open carry guy (and for the most part I'm not), and if I knew that I had nothing illegal in my vehicle, and I didn't mind this issue being used to define me, then I woud consider the empty holster in GFZ's as a valid method of silent protest.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Answer to that: Maybe.

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

As of now, I can't/don't/won't carry at work (though legal) due to policies. When my kids are old enough, I'll still probably have this job with the same hours - and, therefore, not generally have to worry about having an empty holster on me.

If I am ever in a situation where I need to do the above - I really hope that I can conceal it better. I'd rather carry IWB anyhow, that's just something else that makes it easier to hide a holster.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The officer would need probable cause to believe that the vehicle contained evidence of the crime of having a firearm on school property in order to search the vehicle without a warrant/consent/exigent circumstances.
    I was in a hurry this morning. Probable cause is what I meant. At least I did'nt call it a clip. :D That being said, would the person wearing an empty holster amount to PC? Too thin?

Top Bottom