• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    First off, I work for a performance engine builder outside Indy. Expensive parts and expensive engines. Anyways, a customer comes in this afternoon. Owner goes back to talk to him and all hell breaks loose. Customer is screaming, cursing, etc right at the point of physical violence towards the owner of the company. I wasn't right there but I could hear and see everything going on. My question to you is: If physical violence were to ensue, would you attempt to intervene without your weapon? Would you only step up if something was done to you yourself?
    The sheriffs are an easy ten minutes out, and yes they were called.

I think I would have only drawn my weapon if something physical was done directly to me. Am I correct on this?

What say you?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    IC 35-41-3-2
    Sec. 2.
    (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in using deadly force only if he reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to himself or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting himself or his family by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person if he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on his dwelling or curtilage.
    (c) With respect to property other than a dwelling or curtilage, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if he reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in his possession, lawfully in possession of a member of his immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property he has authority to protect. However, a person is not justified in using deadly force unless that force is justified under subsection (a) of this section.
    (d) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (b), and (c) of this section, a person is not justified in using force if:
    (1) he is committing, or is escaping after the commission of, a crime;
    (2) he provokes unlawful action by another person, with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) he has entered into combat with another person or is the initial aggressor, unless he withdraws from the encounter and communicates to the other person his intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It really depends on the situation. If someone was getting physical with my boss, I would intervene only to break them up while at the same time instructing a co-worker to dial 911. My firearm would never be drawn unless I thought my life was in danger.

If someone got physical with me, it would really depend on the circumstances. Indiana Code requires that you feel that you are in danger of death or severe bodily damage. A black eye is not enough to draw your gun IMO, unless you honestly believe that the threat will continue resulting in severe bodily damage.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I myself would not want to create a problem in a place where a mechanic can easily pick up a 2-foot wrench and hit me over the head with it. Sometimes a gun is not the only answer to a problem.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    I myself would not want to create a problem in a place where a mechanic can easily pick up a 2-foot wrench and hit me over the head with it. Sometimes a gun is not the only answer to a problem.
    I would think a 24" locking extension with a big socket to the back of the knees would handle it if need be

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If I liked my boss I'd Intervene to try to break up the fight by what ever means available, according to the escalation of violence. If my boss was and A** **** I'd probly just take a break out side! ;)

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Cant use a Firearm to break up a first fight, that would be wrong, IMO..:twocents:. Chances are the Loud mouth jerk would call the cops on you!

(Tell some B. S. )

Just would NOT want to explain my weapon being the only one there and Flashed.

(flip da coin) :draw:

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Cant use a Firearm to break up a first fight, that would be wrong, IMO..:twocents:. Chances are the Loud mouth jerk would call the cops on you!

(Tell some B. S. )

Just would NOT want to explain my weapon being the only one there and Flashed.

(flip da coin) :draw:

I can't see how beating someone with a wrench would be much better, but I see where your coming from.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    generally, if you make a "commanding presence" known to the "intruder"...by which you keep your distance and let him know it may be in his best interest to calm down and/or leave while placing your hand on the pistol at your hip....most people with a brain will follow your advice and you have done nothing which would get you in any legitimate legal trouble either......of course that is if you actually do like you boss..lol no need to draw the weapon as long as he follows this suggestion....if he remains violent and approaches you or your boss then that's a different story

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I work for a company that is exempted from the "leave it in the parking lot" rule. In fact possession anywhere on property is cause for immediate termination as well as a federal offense.

The CEO is on his own. He knew the job was dangerous when he took it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Defiantly agree with the1kidd03 on this. Backing up the Boss could have given you that "Pay Raise" opportunity moment. At least being a good witness for him (or the customer - if you don’t like the boss).

Defiantly intervene if necessary depending on the situation. Does not necessarily mean drawing your weapon.
    Or maybe grabbing the rest of the guys to place your bets on the outcome. Either way, you missed your chance.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Defiantly agree with the1kidd03 on this. Backing up the Boss could have given you that "Pay Raise" opportunity moment. At least being a good witness for him (or the customer - if you don’t like the boss).

Defiantly intervene if necessary depending on the situation. Does not necessarily mean drawing your weapon.
    Or maybe grabbing the rest of the guys to place your bets on the outcome. Either way, you missed your chance.

Thankfully it didn't last long enough for that, but I'll keep the bet idea in mind :yesway:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My current job, my dad is my boss. I dont know that I would need to intervene to keep him from harm, but the second I thought things were out of hand, I would involve myself without hesitation. If my boss wasnt family, then I think I would still feel obligated in keeping the peace.
    Might be a residual effect from the Marine Corps.

jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    +1 for making "commanding presence" known to the offender.

I'd be more inclined to impose my physical body to intervene in the situation. Especially if its 2vs1

get_armbarred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Crown Point
    I think i would just watch and see what happens. Unless he was getting his skull crushed. Or was old and or fragile enough that one whack could kill him. I think sometimes (and I'm not saying this is the case in this situation at all) people feel untouchable and can say or do whatever they want. I work with lots of people like this. Ha ha!

Top Bottom