• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    First off, I work for a performance engine builder outside Indy. Expensive parts and expensive engines. Anyways, a customer comes in this afternoon. Owner goes back to talk to him and all hell breaks loose. Customer is screaming, cursing, etc right at the point of physical violence towards the owner of the company. I wasn't right there but I could hear and see everything going on. My question to you is: If physical violence were to ensue, would you attempt to intervene without your weapon? Would you only step up if something was done to you yourself?
    The sheriffs are an easy ten minutes out, and yes they were called.

I think I would have only drawn my weapon if something physical was done directly to me. Am I correct on this?

What say you?
    I would say that I would have to be there to make that determination. I think we tend to get into a primordal frame of mind when a fight is about to break out. I would have to be able to use all my senses to be able to answer that question reasonably.:twocents:

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I had a situation a little like this a couple of years ago. My business rents out parking places in our lot and those who park there illegally are sometimes towed by the owner. My boss (who is very liberal and somewhat anti-gun) actually asked me to bring my firearm in just in case this guy got crazy when his car got towed. He was a big guy and works as a guard at the work release center across the parking lot. But for some reason my boss was very scared that this guy was going to go ballistic. So, in this case, yes I would have intervened with my gun had any violence actually occurred which it didn't, fortunately. What I would have done depends on whether there was a punch or if the guy was trying to kill the boss. I would certainly have let him know I was armed first. So, I think the level of violence dictates whether brandishing or using a weapon is appropriate.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Commanding Presence? :dunno:

Steps for Que to see "Commanding Presence"

1. Set up camcorder.

2. Place yourself and family member in view of camcorder.

3. Have someone verbally threaten physical harm to family member.

4. Play back recording of your facial and body language reaction immediately after perceiving a threat to your families safety.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that you'd see what most here are referring to as a "Commanding Presence" followed by a swift removal of any real threats to family safety.;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I can't explain it; I'm trying to figure out what it is, exactly, and how someone would not go to jail and/or have their guns taken from them. Read posts #13, #18, and #22.
    I was asking that the person who said I was wrong...or, I should say, half right, to explain. I don't question that I might be wrong, happens all the time. I would just like to know specifically what is wrong with the statement I made.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I was asking that the person who said I was wrong...or, I should say, half right, to explain. I don't question that I might be wrong, happens all the time. I would just like to know specifically what is wrong with the statement I made.

Sorry, didn't see the quote. But, I was half right in replying to you... I think. :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Steps for Que to see "Commanding Presence"

1. Set up camcorder.

2. Place yourself and family member in view of camcorder.

3. Have someone verbally threaten physical harm to family member.

4. Play back recording of your facial and body language reaction immediately after perceiving a threat to your families safety.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that you'd see what most here are referring to as a "Commanding Presence" followed by a swift removal of any real threats to family safety.;)

So, what number is "Place you hand on your exposed gun handle?" :dunno:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Commanding Presence? :dunno:

If this doesn't break it up, nothing will. :D

s-and-m-Darth-Vader-Costume.jpg

Sorry - I know it hurts... :eek:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Simple. You only pull a weapon if your intent is to kill. If the situation does not dictate deadly force then don't pull.

Some may call it nitpicking but your intent should be to stop, not automatically kill.

Don't forget you are on an open forum and what you write here is public record. New shooters come here to learn and they should know there is a difference.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    It depends on the company. If you are allowed to have your firearm (and I mean actually allowed, the owner knows, etc) at work, then yeah, I would go check out the situation, and if necessary, draw. Im not sure I would shoot, since close physical contact makes it pretty hard to only shoot the BG.

In a situation like my current job where I keep my firearm in my car, then only under the absolute worst situation would I go out, grab it, then deal with the situation. I am talking man with a gun, person with a knife, etc bad. This is partially because the owner does not know I have a gun in my car, and partially because I would rather not deal with the pressure of introducing a gun into a situation that may not need it. I think if people knew you had a gun on you, and you did nothing, there might be some resentment if someone got seriously injured.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had a situation a little like this a couple of years ago. My business rents out parking places in our lot and those who park there illegally are sometimes towed by the owner. My boss (who is very liberal and somewhat anti-gun) actually asked me to bring my firearm in just in case this guy got crazy when his car got towed. He was a big guy and works as a guard at the work release center across the parking lot. But for some reason my boss was very scared that this guy was going to go ballistic. So, in this case, yes I would have intervened with my gun had any violence actually occurred which it didn't, fortunately. What I would have done depends on whether there was a punch or if the guy was trying to kill the boss. I would certainly have let him know I was armed first. So, I think the level of violence dictates whether brandishing or using a weapon is appropriate.
    I wouldn't help someone as screwed up as your liberal boss with my firearm. If he doesn't believe in using them let him talk love and peace to the gorilla. It's pukes like your boss that are the biggest hippocrites. He might change his attitude while counting the freckles on cave man's fist as it comes at him.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Some may call it nitpicking but your intent should be to stop, not automatically kill.

Don't forget you are on an open forum and what you write here is public record. New shooters come here to learn and they should know there is a difference.
    I couldn't agree with you more re the open forum.
    You draw a weapon to use it not to show it. By drawing the weapon you have already crossed the "use of deadly force" line. I am not saying shoot more I am saying draw less.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I wouldn't help someone as screwed up as your liberal boss with my firearm. If he doesn't believe in using them let him talk love and peace to the gorilla. It's pukes like your boss that are the biggest hippocrites. He might change his attitude while counting the freckles on cave man's fist as it comes at him.

:laugh: I know you didn't meant it to be funny exactly but I actually am inclined to agree. They say a liberal is just a conservative who's never been robbed. Or in this case threatened! Might change his perspective a bit!

Btw--I now carry concealed at work which the boss doesn't know and have since this incident which was about two years ago. Mostly in case we are ever robbed. We are the only business open on Saturdays downtown and I think we're sitting ducks because of it. And, of course, I'm the one who's always working Saturdays. I think my .40 will at least make a good show of it if someone tries.

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Pinshooter, I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, and I'm almost 100% sure you handled the situation better than I would have if that situation didn't wind up with someone bleeding.

I've had people be *******s about when I had cancer but to me it's nowhere near as touchy as I would be about something relating to my son. I can handle people ragging on me (mostly because I just don't care what 99% of people say ). I have yet to be tested with people ragging on me about my son.
    Belive me It took a lot of self control. The place had excellent insurance and that's about the only thing that kept me from punching him or something. I have a terrible temper that I have learned over the years to contol, cause when I lose it I'm the only one that loses. So I control it. and stay on an even keel. And then usually pray for that person that has offended me.

Top Bottom