• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yep...it happens. They run a WTB ad when there are 4-5 in the classifieds, so you know they are looking for a steal.

I couldn't agree more. My OP is a hypothetical situation, and I am not butt hurt in any way. I have moved on with my life, I was not offended, it just seems like a waste of time. I have in the past placed WTB ads for items that were not running in the classifieds, and I fully expected to pay a fair price, because I WANTED that item. If I want something I don't mind paying a fair price for it.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I have to admit I'm guilty of this. I posted a WTB: For a Aimpoint PRO and am only offering a mauser. Sorry guys. Also I posted a WTS: With the same mauser asking $250 or used Aimpoint optics. What is my penance?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Capatilism! A free market society is a wonderful thing. Why arer you complaining about it?

If the whole world acted the same, this would be one dull planet.

I see these "...I can get that cheaper..." guys as comic relief. It's best just to laugh it off and forget about them.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I have to admit I'm guilty of this. I posted a WTB: For a Aimpoint PRO and am only offering a mauser. Sorry guys. Also I posted a WTS: With the same mauser asking $250 or used Aimpoint optics. What is my penance?

No penance here, MO. I'm certain no one was thinking of you in this thread. Dare to dream, right?? I wish I had my head as together when I was your age as you appear to in your posts.

Somebody with an old Aimpoint may be dying for a Mauser - you just never know. If I had an old Aimpoint gathering dust, you and I would both be happy right now as I prepared to go shoot my new Mauser. :D

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Unfortunately it seems that many people just come to INGO for the classifieds now. It would be interesting to see the number of people who had between 50 and 100 post. That haven't been on since they sold something in the classifieds

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I respond to WTB ads of I have something they want. However, one thing I hate about WTB ads is after you've closed them because lack of interest/lack of the item you're trying to buy, about three months later you get someone who wants to sell you "whatever". Then when you decline the offer they get angry you said no to them. Happens to me all the time with closed WTS ads as well.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    No offense to anyone here, but I feel this kind of thing is best left in high school. Its life, some people want to spend less and some people want to spend a little more. Maybe the gun some person is trying to buy with a low ball offer is wanting to give it to "little Timmy". Who knows why someone would offer you a lower price than what you are asking for. This is not a retail store its classifieds, haggling is expected.

Also if you offer a gun for $700 and a guy offers you $500, and then goes on to explain that gun is for sale at $600 retail, he has made a point. Now if he is comparing your gun to something that is completely off the mark, then I can understand the annoyance, but still people will be people and you will go on living and so will they...most likely.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Yep...it happens. They run a WTB ad when there are 4-5 in the classifieds, so you know they are looking for a steal.

Or they are basically running a business high volume transactions in the classifieds and looking to buy low and sell for a profit.

Unfortunately it seems that many people just come to INGO for the classifieds now. It would be interesting to see the number of people who had between 50 and 100 post. That haven't been on since they sold something in the classifieds

And you get those that join and start right off complaining about the 50 post rule.

I'm glad we have the classifieds and think it really adds to the site. I have used it several times. But this is a forum, a community not a buy and sell site.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've bought and sold lots of stuff from forums...EVERYBODY is looking for the best possible value and the best possible deal.

Sometimes I'll pay full asking price (if I really want it or I consider it a good deal), most times I'll offer a little off an ask price, and occasionally I'll throw out a low-ball to see if it sticks. Folks have done the exact same to me, and I'm not offended by it.

If I get a lowball, I'll typically just say "Thanks for the offer but I won't give it away." That will either end the haggling, or start counter-offers.

I once posted a Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 for $240, and had a guy offer me $200 saying he could buy one new at that price. I told him he should buy two at that price, and can I please know the website? Obviously I never heard back from him. I eventually sold it for $220, IIRC.

Only thing that pisses me off is when somebody negotiates in public, posting a lower offer in a thread instead of sending a PM.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Me too

I too have bought, sold, and traded guns here with no complaint. I check the WTB ads now and then, primarily because I have several guns which seldom get shot. Maybe I'll run into somebody who is looking for one of them. Ran onto just such an ad a couple of weeks ago and contacted the person who placed the ad. He said the gun was exactly what he was looking for but he didn't want to spend as much as I wanted. I told him if he wanted to see the gun to contact me. End of story. My feelings weren't hurt and he gave no indication that his were either. If they were, sorry, I can't help that.

I do agree there are guys here who are using the classifieds as a part time job and they always want to buy low/sell high. The first 2 guns I sold here were both for sale almost immediately. One back in the INGO classifieds and the other on consignment at a gun shop. I got what I wanted for them so I didn't care...................Just sayin'.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    This is not to instigate thread bashing, or prices of items currently running in the classifieds.
    Just your experience of responding to WTB ads.
    We all want a good deal, but really?

Toughts?

Its a two way street. Some sellers just dont know the market value of what they are trying to sell I think. You see them all the time in the classifieds. They are the guys who are constantly lowering their prices until it hits market value.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Its a two way street. Some sellers just dont know the market value of what they are trying to sell I think. You see them all the time in the classifieds. They are the guys who are constantly lowering their prices until it hits market value.

Agreed. I think it depends on the firearms condition, almost every gun I own is close to new condition. Right now the market is really soft, but as we get closer to election time, we will all see gun prices steadly climbing.

Any "assult weapons" or high capacity weapons that I want too sell, I plan on waiting until then, then I will gunbroker them. Where I have a larger market of people. So my $780.00 Bushmaster may bring $1200.00 on gunbroker. We will have to wait and see

fountainjl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    My bottom line is it. If they can find it cheaper elsewhere, they'd be a fool to buy from me. Granted, if they want to be a fool, I'll take their money!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I don't understand the gripe. If I WTB a Printcraft RW587 in 8.31 x 188, I'm probably wanting/expecting a used one. If you send me a note saying you've got a used one and you'll take 89,990$ for it, but I state that I can buy a new one 76,880$, why would you tell me to go buy a new one? All along I've just wanted a decent used Printcraft for around 65,000$. I should be the one that's butthurt about you trying to take advantage of me.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    OK I've been on both sides. Just picked up a Marlin 882, by advertizing on the WTB board. My ad stated that it was to be a project gun, all that was required was a good bore, all major parts present, and the stock at least all the parts there. A gentleman in New Castle answered, we met settled on a price within my budget and shook hands and parted friends. {Thanks Matt} Thing is it was my decision whether to pay or not.

At the Alexandria Gunshow a few weeks ago I sold a shotgun and a handgun to a dealer. While I didn't get my asking price. It was my decision to accept his offer. Did I make money, yes, could I replace them for what I received ...Maybe.

It pays to be an informed gun owner. With the internet it easy to fine what a gun will bring, with forums like this and sites like Gun Broker. There is no excuse for not knowing the price of any firearm. You may fine that what you have is as valuable as you though, or not and what you want to buy is priced at a premium. Knowing what things are worth keeps the blood pressure down.

If you really want to get a laugh go to a public consignment auction. Watch the bidding wars flare. I saw a used aluminum step ladder go for more than it retailed for
    new.
    I've had few problems with the classified here...........:@ya:...........Duce<><

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I don't understand the gripe. If I WTB a Printcraft RW587 in 8.31 x 188, I'm probably wanting/expecting a used one. If you send me a note saying you've got a used one and you'll take 89,990$ for it, but I state that I can buy a new one 76,880$, why would you tell me to go buy a new one? All along I've just wanted a decent used Printcraft for around 65,000$. I should be the one that's butthurt about you trying to take advantage of me.

Agreed. I think it depends on the firearms condition, almost every gun I own is close to new condition. Right now the market is really soft, but as we get closer to election time, we will all see gun prices steadly climbing.

Any "assult weapons" or high capacity weapons that I want too sell, I plan on waiting until then, then I will gunbroker them. Where I have a larger market of people. So my $780.00 Bushmaster may bring $1200.00 on gunbroker. We will have to wait and see

;)

Top Bottom