• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Has anyone responded to a WTB ad, only to find out the person that placed said ad really wants to steal your firearm. Example: WTB Nice AR-15. You contact the person and offer them a nice barely used name brand AR for say 800$. Then they reply, I can get a brand new Oly ARMS, DPMS Sportical or S&W optics ready carbine for 600$, I'm really only looking to spend 450$. Do these people think that others are in the business of giving money away? I rarely respond to these ads, but when I do I am met with the same thing over and over. So it is much easier for me to just take the pics and place my own Want To Sell (WTS) ad.

This is not to instigate thread bashing, or prices of items currently running in the classifieds.
    Just your experience of responding to WTB ads.
    We all want a good deal, but really?

Toughts?

Last edited:

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Has anyone responded to a WTB ad, only to find out the person that placed said ad really wants to steal your firearm. Example: WTB Nice AR-15. You contact the person and offer them a nice barely used name brand AR for say 800$. Then they reply, I can get a brand new Oly ARMS, DPMS Sportical or S&W optics ready carbine for 600$, I'm really only looking to spend 450$. Do these people think that others are in the business of giving money away? I rarely respond to these ads, but when I do I am met with same thing over and over. So it is much easier for me to just take the pics and place my own Want To Sell (WTS) ad.

This is not to instigate thread bashing, or prices of items currently running in the classifieds.

Toughts?

My response would be "if you can get it cheaper elsewhere then why are you bothering me?"

If they say "no thanks, its a little more than I can pay", then I'll wish them a good day.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think I've sold one or two firearms through the wtb. Both were not available new, no longer produced, which is I think the best thing for wtb ads.

Wtb Glock 26 is pretty lame since they are easily found new and used.

Wtb S&W 3913 pre-rail TSW on the other hand is an item of which there are few.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is not directed at the OP specifically.
    I don't mean to sound overly critical but...

I don't get all these threads (and this subject comes up often in one form or another) about the classifieds and complaining about the haggling that goes on.

Your gun may be worth X dollars to you, that does not mean its worth X dollars to someone else. Your gun is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

If you dont want to sell your gun for the price offered then simply decline politely and move on with your life. Why feel insulted?

As an example a few months ago I put a pistol up for sale. It was on the classifieds for weeks with no interest. I closed the thread, within hours of closing I had two people pm me, one with a offer much lower than I would accept. I just declined politely and went on with my life as if nothing had happened. Two months later I put the same pistol up for the price I wanted within an hour it was sold.

No drama, no hurt feelings no sense of loss. Maybe I spent enough time in the Marine Corps to grow a thick skin. But we are all adults here, why get upset or even concerned if someone offers you less that you would accept for something you are offering for sale. Really I dont get it.

Rant Off

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    This is not directed at the OP specifically.
    I don't mean to sound overly critical but...

I don't get all these threads (and this subject comes up often in one form or another) about the classifieds and complaining about the haggling that goes on.

Your gun may be worth X dollars to you, that does not mean its worth X dollars to someone else. Your gun is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

If you dont want to sell your gun for the price offered then simply decline politely and move on with your life. Why feel insulted?

As an example a few months ago I put a pistol up for sale. It was on the classifieds for weeks with no interest. I closed the thread, within hours of closing I had two people pm me, one with a offer much lower than I would accept. I just declined politely and went on with my life as if nothing had happened. Two months later I put the same pistol up for the price I wanted within an hour it was sold.

No drama, no hurt feelings no sense of loss. Maybe I spent enough time in the Marine Corps to grow a thick skin. But we are all adults here, why get upset or even concerned if someone offers you less that you would accept for something you are offering for sale. Really I dont get it.

Rant Off

I'm not upset on insulted with the person declining my offer. It is just something that to me seems to happen a lot. What I really suspect on some of the WTB ads are guys trying to make a quick buck and flip your firearms. I think I have only responded to a few of these ads, and it's almost always the same thing. Someone wants something for nothing.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Has anyone responded to a WTB ad, only to find out the person that placed said ad really wants to steal your firearm. Example: WTB Nice AR-15. You contact the person and offer them a nice barely used name brand AR for say 800$. Then they reply, I can get a brand new Oly ARMS, DPMS Sportical or S&W optics ready carbine for 600$, I'm really only looking to spend 450$. Do these people think that others are in the business of giving money away? I rarely respond to these ads, but when I do I am met with the same thing over and over. So it is much easier for me to just take the pics and place my own Want To Sell (WTS) ad.

Toughts?

My only problem I have with people like that is that they feel the need to recite the prices that they can find which are cheaper. If they aren't interested in what you have, why not just say "Ok, thanks for the info."?

It always seemed to me that people are going out of their way to be rude.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    My only problem I have with people like that is that they feel the need to recite the prices that they can find which are cheaper. If they aren't interested in what you have, why not just say "Ok, thanks for the info."?

It always seemed to me that people are going out of their way to be rude.

I would think the same thing. If you can tell me about 5 different places that you can buy a similar firearm for cheaper than I'm selling it for, then go buy it there.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I usually don't even get a response when I message someone about a WTB. I responded to a WTB Valmet M71. I told the guy I had one for $900. Never heard from him. I don't know what he was looking to spend but that was a pretty good price. I sold it later so big deal to me.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Toughts?

Your dollar signs are improperly placed. That might be some of the confusion, they might think you're talking foreign money. I honestly wouldn't care. If the deal wasn't going to work, I'd just say "sorry, can't help ya" and move on. It'd be like going to a dealer and trying to sell a used gun or even going to a gun show. Unless you've got something really special, good luck getting offers that are close to what you want.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I never even bother with a low ball offer, it does not matter if I am buying or selling. If a man has something that is worth $70. and he wants $70, I just pay the man and continue life. If I have something worth $70 and some guy emails me for $25, I just say no, the bottom line is $70., and go about my life. Some of these guys will email me back 10 times and then get abusive, like I owe them something.

I have advertized for an item I wanted to buy and gotten a response where the guy wants $100 over full list NEW RETAIL price because he wants to throw in a $50 holster. When I counter with full list USED RETAIL the highest price he will legitimately ever get, they get offended. I mostly buy and sell on Gunbroker.com, not because of better prices, but to avoid the non sense. If I do not win the bid or my bid is short of the reserve, it is no hard feelings. If the bidding stops short of my reserve price, no one gives me any grief.

As a society, we have lost a lot of influence of the concept of a fair price, a fair value, a fair wage and a fair work ethic.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I also contacted two WTB ads. One responded quickly with a no thanks and helped me confirm value. The other did not respond. Luck of the draw I guess. Have only put up one WTB ad. In it listed price I thought was fair. No joy.

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    I think when someone places a WTB add (not all the time), they are looking for a great deal. Not sure I would call it a "steal."

Chances are they dont need the item quickly and are willing to wait and pray on a sellers need to sell quickly. I have seen many people trying to sell something because they need the money and settle for way less than what they think (and possibly is) worth. As they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. Is it right? Maybe not. I wouldnt expect a friend to try and low ball me, but I almost expect it from a stranger. If you can agree and make a deal. Excellent! If not...nothing to see here....move along! :)

Just my :twocents:. Probably only worth $.01 though!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've placed an ad a couple of times on Hoosier topics to buy Glocks but I've always put in the ad "I will pay more than a store will give you to trade it in".. I can't find a local paper that will take an ad like that, that's why I went to Hoosier topics.. I've never bought a pistol from there because people normally want retail for what they have for sale.:dunno:
    I don't like being lowballed when I'm selling something but where Glocks are concerned I have a VERY good idea of what the dealers are offering on trade because I frequent two shops and work for one of them at the 1500..
    Stating my case up front seems to keep the confusion down to some extent on what my offer might be. Just my:twocents:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    IChances are they dont need the item quickly and are willing to wait and pray on a sellers need to sell quickly.

I nightly pray for a $100 Nighthawk. I don't think anyone is listening.

I understand... Indiana is a reasonably diverse State (who am I kidding? Not really) with different generations on this site.

Some folks come from the WTS/WTB-Is-A-Price-Tag like a retail store and some folks come from the Everything-For-Sale-Is-Negotiable-And-Haggling-Is-Expected.

When those two meet, folks get (butt)hurt. I'm not singling anyone out, I've felt the same sometimes even though I know better.

Some people price high to expect haggling. Other folks, if lowballed, feel like someone is trying to screw them over as surely as walking outside and finding a stranger rooting around in the back of their parked car.

It is sometimes hard not to want to respond with a "You are offering $50 for the gun I've listed at $500 that runs $700 used in a store?? You want to come over and sleep with my wife and kick my dog at the same time??? Go pound sand! You're trying to screw me!"

Meh, maybe not. Sometimes they are only wanting to buy if the seller is desperate for money. Sometimes, they are only making their first offer (Picture Elmer in overalls, standing next to the wood stove of the country store and tobacco juice dribbling down his chin.) Elmer just assumes you are pricing 50-100% higher than you are actually willing to sell because that's what he would do.

Heck, don't blame Elmer. That is all he knows. By the same token, Elmer, don't blame Niles for getting butt-hurt... he thinks you're trying to steal from him.

Recognize that it takes all types and the best thing is to just politely decline, unless you want to play the haggle game. Me? I price what I think is fair and, in order to sell something quickly, I might drop 5-10%. Other than that I'm not usually selling because I'm hurting for cash - I just let them just move on.

Hoosier Topics is an excellent example of Elmer, not that there is anything wrong with it. Well... maybe.

(Now, you agree to a price and we are going to meet. The condition is as described and you have no issues with that but THEN you want to start haggling price. That's BS. You're on the list then.)

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Have to agree with the OP. Seems like they like to compare apples to oranges sometimes too. Like he said he offers an M4 or whatever for and gets Sportical prices thrown at him. Two vastly different price point guns. I seldom reply to the Wtb things either. Even though I have what they want quite often. Just my two cents

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    It's called "Want to Buy" ad for a reason. It's not a "Need to Buy" ad and therefore I think most folks are looking/hoping for a super deal.

If I can't work out a deal, no harm, no foul. Thanks for asking and we move on with life.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Yep...it happens. They run a WTB ad when there are 4-5 in the classifieds, so you know they are looking for a steal.

Top Bottom