Should people with Convicted Felonies be able to buy and carry firearms again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you think people convicted of felons shoul dbe able to have firearms again?

• Total voters

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think they should get their rights back. The whole point is to REHABILITATE them. If they aren't rehabilitated after they finish their prison term, maybe we need to change the prison system entirely.

We need to change the entire concept of prison. Rehabilitation is useless. They need punishment. Swift, harsh, extremely unpleasent PUNISHMENT.

Rehab? Kiss my grandma and hump a goat. Stuff rehabit in an ear to put it politely.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm sorry if this has already been said, but I just woke up and wanted to respond and am too lazy to read all that right now.

I voted yes, for certian convictions, and yes after a certain period of time

First, just because you get let out of jail doesn't mean you are reformed. Many people who get let out end up right back in. Prison is a school for criminals more than it is a punishment.

With that being said, if you get a felony because of drinking and driving, fraud, something stupid from "3 strikes your out" rules, things that are far from violent or could lead to violence, there is NO reason you shouldn't be able own a gun.

With THAT being said, there should be a yearly manditory waiting period. Like 5 years after you're off parole, with no other misdemeanors or felonies would show you are reformed and a productive member of society. Therefore would show you are trusted to own a firearm.

I've known people who are avid hunters but had a rough patch, got caught drinking and driving because the ran into a tree (not serious wreck, but totaled the truck) and that was it. No more hunting. This is something that should be reviewed. Not all felons are bad people.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    When I went though high school government classes we were taught what you lose when you choose to be a felon. Your choice lost you your right to carry amongst others. Oh well.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    You all seem to forget that you can be arrested for defending yourself with you fists, that you will be charged with assault and that is a violent crime. Furthermore in the event that you have to use a weapon to defend yourself, you still might be charged with a miriad of fenlonies that while it was perfectly justified could still be picked apart at trial. I don't like having to second guess myself and my rights because someone wants to punch me in the face.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    When I was a bit younger I liked to go out and drink. I got a DUI one night and it was a misdemenor. No big deal, no harsh penalty. 370 days later I get another DUI. WOW...big change, now I go to jail for a week, pay a big fine and get convicted of a felony....im a FELON. This sucks...real bad. I go through the probation process. I change my ways. I complete every class the court issues and some on my own. Im a changed man. I write the judge a letter to see if I can have the felony reduced so I can get back to my old life. I get a letter and go in for a hearing. The judge tells me that this is a second chance for me and to not abuse it.

My felony is expunged. Its gone forever and I wont ever be put in that position again.

I feel that I served my time, did what I was supposed to do to fix the problem.

We all do things that we regret. I dont think these things should linger over your head all your life. I thank the judge for giving me a second chance.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    When I was a bit younger I liked to go out and drink. I got a DUI one night and it was a misdemenor. No big deal, no harsh penalty. 370 days later I get another DUI. WOW...big change, now I go to jail for a week, pay a big fine and get convicted of a felony....im a FELON. This sucks...real bad. I go through the probation process. I change my ways. I complete every class the court issues and some on my own. Im a changed man. I write the judge a letter to see if I can have the felony reduced so I can get back to my old life. I get a letter and go in for a hearing. The judge tells me that this is a second chance for me and to not abuse it.

My felony is expunged. Its gone forever and I wont ever be put in that position again.

We all do things that we regret. I dont think these things should linger over your head all your life. I thank the judge for giving me a second chance.

Great post! You are the perfect example here.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

now i dont believe its possible to get a felony expunged

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    a lot of different views in this thread and each one is correct, from a certain point of view.

i'll place in your mind one scenerio, tell me what you think:

bob, a white collar caucasion, purchases a gun illegally one cold, wintery, december from a market down the street. pays cash and gets some hollow points from his seller. he wants to kill his wife for cheating on him. he goes home and puts 2 rounds in her chest. she goes to the hospital o.r. and barely survives this ordeal. he goes to prison for 40 years for attempted murder along with various other charges. bare with me people, just a scenerio.

he does his sentence and gets out at the age of 65. he doesn't get a plea, doesn't make bail, whatever the excuse is, he does his sentence and "learns his lesson"

after 5 years of working minimum wage at the grocery store at the corner, he decided he wants to apply for a carry permit.

should he be allowed to legally purchase a gun and carry it with him?

I voted NO!

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    let me put another scenerio on ya guys:

a middle aged (35) black successful businessman sponged the government for millions by cheating on his tax returns. this continues for years until finally he is caught. he has a few other charges against him that lead him to a felon status and a 10 year sentence in prison. after getting out on good behavior and doing various probation services, he lands a solid job as an insurance salesman, starts a family, buys a home and has a little baby girl. he applies for a gun permit and wants to start carrying with him to his job site.

does he have the same right as me to get a gun legally?

I vote Maybe

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    a lot of different views in this thread and each one is correct, from a certain point of view.

i'll place in your mind one scenerio, tell me what you think:

bob, a white collar caucasion, purchases a gun illegally one cold, wintery, december from a market down the street. pays cash and gets some hollow points from his seller. he wants to kill his wife for cheating on him. he goes home and puts 2 rounds in her chest. she goes to the hospital o.r. and barely survives this ordeal. he goes to prison for 40 years for attempted murder along with various other charges. bare with me people, just a scenerio.

he does his sentence and gets out at the age of 65. he doesn't get a plea, doesn't make bail, whatever the excuse is, he does his sentence and "learns his lesson"

after 5 years of working minimum wage at the grocery store at the corner, he decided he wants to apply for a carry permit.

should he be allowed to legally purchase a gun and carry it with him?

I voted NO!

i 100% agree that that man should never have a gun much less carry but i also voted "for certain crimes" i believe a murder or attempted murder is a crime thats unforgivable i think dui is forgivible even people who got lucky and never got arrested for dui alot of you (myself included) could have been arrested i just got lucky and never had a accident now at 28 im over all that but at 20 i could have easiely got in some serious trouble i think alot of people do alot of dumb stuff when they are young some get caught some dont

Nathan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Wabash, Indiana
    and that along with my second scenerio is used to show that not all felonies should prevent an american from possessing a firearm, but hey, you break the law, your rights should be confiscated for a period of time....usually jail sentence, but thereafter should be reinstated with precautions taken

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    42769vette the thing is we have a process in place where a convicted felon can change his lot in life though the court system. Fordman08 used it so it apparently still works. Why change it? It is a judges job to change an individuals record not a law makers. The reason for this is because this should be a case by case decision.

I have a friend who is a convicted felon because of DUI's. Should he be given a reprieve? Some will say yes, However he is at number 7 in his life. Great guy when sober. Should he be given back all his rights? I think not.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sould I fax you the letter?

no no i think you may have misinterpreted my post meaning i 100% believe you that you got yours expunged i just dont think its possible anymore when did you get it expunged i have a friend who says he has tried and had no luck he is a prime example of who desreves a gun he doesn't even want to carry just to hunt he got his felony dui about 10 yr ago when he was a kid now he is 29 (i think) and rarly even drinks and does nothing at all to break laws

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I voted never. If the person showed a serious lack of judgement in the past(felony arrest) I don't want to put a gun in their hand.jmo.

Top Bottom