• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I will be throwing quarters in the street. my hopes are that potential criminals will bend over and try to grab them for a while through the ice and get hit by a car. :)

I've got jars of the shiney coins, excellent idea! I'm cheap though, I'll be saving my quarters and thowing out the nickles. "Shii....100 of des bad boyz and I gots me a pack of GPCs!"

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Everyone using backup heat, please don't suffocate yourselves. Seems to happen at least once everytime there's a power failure in the winter.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I will be throwing quarters in the street. my hopes are that potential criminals will bend over and try to grab them for a while through the ice and get hit by a car. :)

The hi-point brigade will be camped outside your house if you go doing that. Anybody ever wonder what Don's Guns would look like if power were out for two weeks straight? It would be the first time somebody got a fair deal in there:):

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    whats best way to keep my car from freezing up. I don't have a tarp I don't think. i can probably get it in the garage but garage door could freeze up too.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Looks like just snow up here in our neck of the woods. I feel for you guys that may get the ICE storm. Been there and done that. Although we are less likely for the power outage we are still prepared. Enough heat, light, water and meals for a week. Second bathroom has a full tub of water to use in flushing toilets so we are ready to go. Having 6 in the house toilets MUST be flushed :rolleyes:. Possibly having roads closed or inaccessible to police means possible rise in crime for a short while so I will have the ammo stash at ready in a minutes notice per say. Best of luck to you all in the southern area. This could potentially be very bad in your area.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    whats best way to keep my car from freezing up. I don't have a tarp I don't think. i can probably get it in the garage but garage door could freeze up too.

Tape plastic trash bags over the door seams, windshield, keyholes, etc. Maybe over the hood and trunk seams as well, in case you have car trouble or need to get in your trunk.

Anything that is waterproof and easily pulled off.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The garage is your best bet. Much easier to knock the ice off of your garage door than you car. When the door would freeze down at the old place, I would just kick it along the bottom, and hit it long the joints, and then roll it up.

I wonder if I should park in the covered garage at the airport?

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany

You don't lack in the imagination dept. There's infinite possibilities to be found here.

Sort of like throwing twinkies in a room of dieters.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Double checked just now with dad, he's got 20 gallons of water stocked, I've got 2 or 3 here at home, he's got about 1 1/2 ricks of firewood in the garage as usual, and 30 double rick right behind the house, so no shortage of heat over there. Fireplace insert for cooking as well as camp stoves with plenty of gas on hand.
    Emergency goodies in the blazer, clothes, blankets, flashlight, etc. Think we're in about as good of shape as we can be right now.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    You guys are awesome! I thought I had it all covered. Never thought about trying to get my 4 by 4 going with 2" of ice covering it. On my way to Wally world to get a tarp!

Everything else is ready.
    1. Generator converted to run on propane, hooked up to 500 gallon tank
    2. Wood burner with plenty of firewood
    3. Food and water
    4. Oil lanterns, wicks trimmed and filled
    5. Plenty of feed for all the animals
    6. Deck of cards and board games to keep the kids occupied.
    7. Stove is propane, so cooking is covered.
    Most important of all! My camping percolator coffee maker. Can't be without coffee!

Probably forgetting something, oh well, ready or not...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Everyone using backup heat, please don't suffocate yourselves. Seems to happen at least once everytime there's a power failure in the winter.

Absolutely!

CO detectors are an absolute must when burning any non-sealed, non-vented combustion appliance indoors. Get some rigth now if you plan to use any type of liquid fueled heat/light sources indoors. IMHO, that is not an option; a good CO detector with digital readout will be less than $50, much cheaper than any medical bills, or worse yet the cost of a life.

BTW, don't forget to consider the weight of the ice. Clear ice 1" thick weighs about 5lb per square foot. Your roof is 1000 sf? That is 5000 lbs. That load by itself isn't bad, but if some of you get lots of snow plus an inch of ice then keep an eye on things.

Top Bottom