Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Coming soon:
    Succession for the Sake of Succession
    By BigRed, Mod-elect, INGO.

If better understood, this society would be a better place.

To clarify, I am saying that in reference to secession though the same holds true for BigRed.

IMG_0744.JPG

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That’s an interesting discussion. Some time ago I read about some research that suggested that humans don’t do well in groups of more than 100 or so people. We’ve had very large societies in human history far beyond 100 people. But day to day people don’t interact with much more than that. And the people we’ve interacted with were usually from the same geographical area. Not a lot of diversity. Technology has brought the great diversity of the world closer to everyone. We may not have the capacity to handle it. And I’m not talking about people who look different. But people who act differently. Different customs, different cultures, different morals, different traditions.

Much of that seems to ring true in my own experience. Moving to Missippi was a real culture shock to us. Took some getting used to. We didn’t like it at first. They didn’t like us at first. But we adapted. We assimilated. Mostly. And then we were accepted.

Progressives think they are tolerant of diversity. They’re not any better at it. Some of the most intolerant people I’ve ever encountered are progressives.

Point is, it’s probably not that there are too many people in the US. It’s that diversity is too close to everyone, to the point where it may be more than most humans can handle in the group that we typically interact with.

And this emphasizes the genius of a federated system where local cultures get to govern themselves.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    That’s an interesting discussion. Some time ago I read about some research that suggested that humans don’t do well in groups of more than 100 or so people. We’ve had very large societies in human history far beyond 100 people. But day to day people don’t interact with much more than that. And the people we’ve interacted with were usually from the same geographical area. Not a lot of diversity. Technology has brought the great diversity of the world closer to everyone. We may not have the capacity to handle it. And I’m not talking about people who look different. But people who act differently. Different customs, different cultures, different morals, different traditions.

Much of that seems to ring true in my own experience. Moving to Missippi was a real culture shock to us. Took some getting used to. We didn’t like it at first. They didn’t like us at first. But we adapted. We assimilated. Mostly. And then we were accepted.

Progressives think they are tolerant of diversity. They’re not any better at it. Some of the most intolerant people I’ve ever encountered are progressives.

Point is, it’s probably not that there are too many people in the US. It’s that diversity is too close to everyone, to the point where it may be more than most humans can handle in the group that we typically interact with.

And this emphasizes the genius of a federated system where local cultures get to govern themselves.

The point is America is too big too big to function as a republic.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I look forward to how such is resolved.
    As I said before, it’s not that America is too big for a representative republic to work. But it does require a federalized system, where each level of government has only the power appropriate for its scope. Since the end of the civil war the various levels of government have become more top-down, more centralized, less federalized. That’s one of several things that broke in American governance.

But if one is really fond of the idea of secession, I think one would be very attracted to the idea that there is a population level at which a Representative Republic becomes impossible to manage.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Killing people for walking away?

Is that you, lincoln?
    There is no realistic scenario where that happens. Let's not pretend. Plus, the post before mine, that I was referring to, references things you can't post about online. That isn't talking about walking away.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    There is no realistic scenario where that happens. Let's not pretend. Plus, the post before mine, that I was referring to, references things you can't post about online. That isn't talking about walking away.

I cannot speak for others...I only know what I am talking about.

Top Bottom