• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, I finally got the 308 I wanted. Anyway, I am nearsighted so I need some serious magnification. I am trying to decide which scope to get. I am open to suggestions. I don't want to spend more than the cost of a leupold which is around $1200. Do I have any other good options for $1200 or less???

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    US Optics
    Nightforce
    B&L
    swarovski

I use Wotac, its nice glass and won't break the bank. I'm a big believer in "a man can't out shoot his rifle", simply put, the man is the weakest link in the shot. I am going to prove my ability before I put down 1K on glass.

HTH, RNM

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Trijicon Accupoint scopes are in the sub-$1000 range. The only drawback is that some don't have enough elevation adjustment to get to 1000 yds. If you're inside of that range, I think you'll have a tough time finding something with as good of glass for the money.

Burris is an option. Zeiss is another.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    If your eyesight is at all corrected, should not be any issues and a good scope can adjust to your eyesight. Myself can't see the top E on the chart with out glasses (but do have it memorized).

You did not say what your use was, if this is a bolt action or AR and/or the weight of the rifle, thus will group into general categories:

A close range scope for close and moving targets (aka classic woods rifle in Michigan but not Indiana due regulations). We always liked Leupold 1.5x5 or 1.75x6 scopes. Worked well and was not bad to several hundred yards, about the distance one can shoot a 308 with out adjusting for drop (i.e. sighted 2.5 to 3 inch high at 100 yards and no more than 5 inches low). These scopes tend to be moderate cost and lighter weight, with no adjustment for parallax but not really needed.

A nice mid power scope with 40mm objective that is a the classic longer distance hunting scope of a few dozen years ago (showing my age ;-). This can be a 3 x 9 or possible a better option is closer to the 2 x 7. Again these scopes are moderate cost, moderate weight and usually, but not always do not have adjustment for parallax. The exception is the Leupold (and others) VarX III (or the newer series) 3.5x10 with AO (adjustable objective). I have used these to shoot very reasonable sub MOA groups at a few hundred yards on well defined targets and the 3.5 at the low end is still ok for off hand hunting.

The higher power scopes tend to be more for flatter and/or longer range cartridges than the classic hunting weight 308. With the 6.5 x 20 Leupolds or a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 being a few of the more common (the NXS is half again your price range ....).

The last grouping (for this discussion only ;-) for a heavy barrel 308 and what your $1200 Leupold sounds like, is the "Tactical Scopes" such as a Leupold Mk4 or the previous Nightforce NXS, both of which are good moderate priced scopes (the various German glass scopes S&B, professional Zeiss etc. are double or nearly tripple your price range ...). If you are going to be shooting off hand then would stick with nothing more than a 3.5x10 or at most a 4.5x14 from Leupold or if the budget allowed the 3.5x15 from Nightforce.

Friends have some of the Bushnell 4200 series on their rifles and they tend to work good enough. I have looked at Nikons, but ended up with a Leupold VarXIII for more money each time and never been sorry.

------------
    If you wish to shoot past 800 yards, then watch the total elevation adjustment on the scope plus consider angled bases ... but again not worth the effort and increased scope height (maybe) for most rifles.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    FELOPZD - the 20/20 line of the chart

Anyway, the plan is to start long range shooting. I had a 24" RRA AR that I could shoot well at 200 and 300, but I wanted something a little bigger to shoot longer ranges. I got a Savage FLCP-K. Seems like a good value and starting point.

Are the Wotac's good scopes? I hate to plunk down $400 then $1200 when I could just spend the $1200 once.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Would always buy the best scope you can, as will with time find this scope to be the "lower end' of what you expect.

Case in point, a close friend borrowed the Sako TRG-42 with a Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 and the heavy barreled AR-15 with a Leupold VarX-II 6-18. His better half was shooting both and while liked the AR, did find the scope limited. This winter's project maybe moving the Leupold VarX III EFR scope from the .243 to the AR HB upper.

If you look closely can find some of the Leupold MK4 4.5x14 scopes which were taken off the Barrett packages for nearer a grand than $1200.

As always your best option is to try a few scopes and the old offer of "if you are close to Indiana" on the other Forum's works even better at INGO. Busy at work and getting close to winter, but if you are not in a rush should be able to setup something, if only to look through the scopes.

Take Care
    John

P.S. Check out SWFA if only for leads on various options.
    P.S**2 Type too slow, like the Zeiss option from Mr. "Turnandshoot4" if it has sufficient vertical travel and not a bad price.

Last edited:

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    what no one metioned PENTAX ive had problems with leupold standing behind there glass but yet pentax stood behind their product customer service goes a long way with me and the nikon is a great choice also monarch ucc has been a great piece of eyeware

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    P.S**2 Type too slow, like the Zeiss option from Mr. "Turnandshoot4" if it has sufficient vertical travel and not a bad price.

I'm running a 20 MOA base and it has dots all the way to the bottom of the scope.

I'd take this glass right next to NF or USO any day.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I'm running a 20 MOA base and it has dots all the way to the bottom of the scope.

I'd take this glass right next to NF or USO any day.

Looks a lot nicer than the last 6.5x20 Leupold VarXIII I got for only a couple hundred less - moved into my "check for the next rifle" scope research for sure.
    Did a quick check and did not see any listings for the total elevation adjustments, if you had that information it would be appreciated.

There is also a mil dot version for $50 more, however, you choice is a lot light the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 and works well.

Last edited:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, so Leupold may not stand behind their glass? Nikon is good? I have heard mention of Wotac and Millet in the past. OK, who makes good glass and stands behind it?

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Wow, the Zeiss is close in price too. $830. Hmm, that is $300 more than the nikon. Is it worth it?

In general have been happy with the Zeiss I have seen, while have not use this scope, it is the best $300 you will spend excluding a NFA stamp 25+ years ago ;-)
    Leupold use to be good on repairs, but a little slow, but that was years ago. Also check the vertical adjustment range of the Nikon, some of the models are limited (fine for shooting varmints, not so good for 1000 yards plus with 308).

Sounds like we need a "scope" day .....

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Find a used Nightforce !

My problem is have not been able to talk friends into upgrading to S&B so they get ride of the Nightforce scopes. I spent three years looking for one for the Barrett M82A1 with no luck and did not get mind until a friend bought it and put in on my Sako TRG-42 for a trip out west (he left is on when he was done ... but how I got a "free" Sako TRG-42 with a Nightforce 5.5x22 is another thread for a different day ;-).

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The quest always ends with 2 letters, S&B

DSC_0070-1.jpg

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I know my zeiss does not have the same number of clicks of a NF. I haven't topped it out yet however and I'm out to 900 yards now. :dunno:

Top Bottom