• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    So I played hooky this afternoon and stopped at Gander to look around. I'm looking at ammo and a guy says to me can I put a .30 Remington "bullet" in my .30-30 Winchester? I said what did you say, and he repeated the question exactly the same way. So I said no sir only a .30-30 will go into a .30-30 Winchester. So I looked at his shopping cart and he had all sorts of .30 cal cartridges including .300 AAC in his cart for his ".30-30" Then he asks me if a .270 WSM is the same as a .270 Winchester! At first i thought he was kidding with me but it turns out he was serious. I told him .270 WSM is a Winchester Short Magnum and not the same as a .270 Winchester and he looks at me like he does not believe me. And he asks why cant I use a .270 WSM in a .270 Winchester? So, to prove the point I grabbed a box of each and showed him the difference. He had the old "Doe in the headlights" look on his face. He said he had not shot the lever action gun in a long time. I said to myself: THank God for that! I could not believe it. I think I might have saved this guy's butt today. Just amazing that there are people walking around handling guns like this today. I'm still sitting here amazement. :dunno:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yep! Now you're see the "liberal" side of things. It's guys like that, that don't have a clue, then he does something stupid, and we all pay the price. That's why liberals think guns should be taken away, to protect us from ourselves.
    I'm glad you were able to educate him.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    This is similar to recent event/thread that happened in a 'urban' setting in NWI, except it did not have the racial profiling and ended with a fellow customer education another w/o incident. Thanks OP for representing.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If the poor guy doesn't have access to internet or something (before he goes out shopping), otherwise I just don't believe this.

I know we're in Indiana and all and these cartridges OP mentions aren't used regularly, but dang nabbit.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Sounds like the guy just needed a little education. I remember being confused by the various bullets and calibers when I was starting out. There are plenty of rounds that are "compatible" that I can understand the confusion. That one can shoot .223 in a 5.56, .308 in a 7.62x51, .38spc in a .357mag, a smattering of .22 rimfire arms have various .22 compatibility, and plenty more.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Hey, I'm glad he had the sense to ask you those questions and you were kind and knowledgable enough to answer them.

Nobody knew everything when they were first starting out.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I was at GM last year and a customer was looking at a Ruger 22/45. He asked the GM employee if the 22/45 meant that he could shoot .45 out of it, too. The girl who worked there said "yes, I believe so." I stepped in at that point and explained that it could only shoot .22lr and that the 45 referred to the ergonomics. He thanked me and handed it back to her. She proceeded to put it away, gave me a dirty look, and stomped off.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Ammo specs and chamberings are confusing. Fortunately, we live in a world where this information is on line. In the old days (pre-PC) reference sources weren't handy or cheap.

Good on you for helping the guy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Since there isn't any real convention or standards for naming cartridges, I surprised as many beginners get the right ammo as they do.

Of course it helps that the ammo manufacturers work hard to keep dangerous substitutions from fitting in guns that are close, but not close enough.

Good newbie tip- stick with what's on the barrel and don't get creative.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I wouldn't call the guy stupid, just ignorant of the facts of ballistics and terminology of ammo. If you stop and think about it the nomenclature used for designating calibers and types is confusing as hell to the casual firearm owner. Like 30-06 (06 refers to the year - nothing to do with caliber) and 9mm Mauser (taken from the gun it was most used in), 9mm Corto (same as .380), 9mm Largo (very close to 38 Super - some is the same - dependent on the gun it is used in - some is lower pressure) - 8 mm Mauser (it actually is not 8mm). The designations have been a mismash of names determined by military, manufactures wanting to make some sound similar to existing popular rounds others named by the gun they fit (Weatherby, Remington, Winchester, etc.). In my opinion it is a wonder there is not more "blown up" firearms.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was at GM last year and a customer was looking at a Ruger 22/45. He asked the GM employee if the 22/45 meant that he could shoot .45 out of it, too. The girl who worked there said "yes, I believe so." I stepped in at that point and explained that it could only shoot .22lr and that the 45 referred to the ergonomics. He thanked me and handed it back to her. She proceeded to put it away, gave me a dirty look, and stomped off.
    I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but when I was shopping for a .22 pistol, I asked the salesperson at a local shop if the 22/45 came with a 45 conversion kit or something, since I'd never heard of the 22/45 before. Hey, at least I didn't think it would fire both .22 and .45 with the same barrel/bolt/receiver! :):

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I was in GM a couple of weeks ago and the Sales Associate didn't know the difference between 9mm Luger and 9x18 Mak.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    otherwise I just don't believe this.

I do. I recently got some .38 special because the gentleman realized that .380 is mathematically the same as .38. Oddly enough, they were too long to go into his magazine when he got them home.

Top Bottom