• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've been on a CZ kick lately which included a PCR. I'd like to think that if Smith & Wesson had developed a Fourth Generation 59 series with modern production capabilities and alloys it would be a direct competitor.

Can't imagine they would produce an all metal non-1911 again but what would you look for in a 4th gen? Top of my list would an exposed back strap for better grip options similar to 2nd gens.

I would go removable bushing like the 1st and early 2nd gens for easy installation of custom barrels or match grade stuff. I would like to see a cajun gun works type custom shop for the "4th gen" and older. I would keep the 3913 and CS9 the same as they work the way they are. They would sell a bunch of 10mm if they brought back the 10xx series. Adjustable sights but ones that aren't necessary to withstand a nuclear blast. Maybe more lady smith type of contouring to cut down on material. In todays market I can see them making a 500-650 "4th gen" that competes with CZ.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The 1006 would be the place to make a marketing bang. It might be a niche but it would be on a lot of people's want list.

Having recently looked at my American Outdoor Brands stock, they could use a little kick. The 380EZ should be a hit, the 2.0 is a hit but at $399 you aren't making much.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The 1006 would be the place to make a marketing bang. It might be a niche but it would be on a lot of people's want list.

Having recently looked at my American Outdoor Brands stock, they could use a little kick. The 380EZ should be a hit, the 2.0 is a hit but at $399 you aren't making much.
    A 380 "4th gen" smith. I would do a combo pack and include a 9mm slide and mag.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    No doubt that S&W product development monitors this thread..

How'd those 5906 mags look?
    Still waiting to get them in the mail. From the S&W forum appears I will be getting some excellent 15rd mags based off their 10 mags. I did order 24 though only because we finally have a new contract on the RR and got a back pay check with all the pay raises.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Nice. You don't hear much about RR employees today....seems they've downsized your industry over the past couple decades?

Big thrill of the day is bidding on that "classic" unfired 9F. I think it has ran through half a dozen times. I'd like to have it as it represents SWs first foray into plastic but ain't going $475 on a 9F....

EDIT: to be honest the big thrill of the day is stealing a few minutes at the range to fire the new CZ P10C....

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Nice. You don't hear much about RR employees today....seems they've downsized your industry over the past couple decades?

Big thrill of the day is bidding on that "classic" unfired 9F. I think it has ran through half a dozen times. I'd like to have it as it represents SWs first foray into plastic but ain't going $475 on a 9F....

EDIT: to be honest the big thrill of the day is stealing a few minutes at the range to fire the new CZ P10C....

Yep they want to do more with less and try to maximize profits at the expense of safety and morale.

I've told myself that this year when the weather finally breaks I will try to make it to the range more often. I have too much ammo that I reloaded and haven't shot enough to warrant me buying more components.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I live in town but am fortunate to have a small private range a couple miles from home and can make a quick stop on the way home. It is also "on the way" to the grocery store so if my wife sends me to the store....

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Giving the Buy it Now button some serious consideration...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/752037544

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of the NIB 5946's Cabela's had last fall. Speaking of that, what's the group think on the 4040PD. Found one online, that looks to be converted to DAO, or a least had the safety removed. Not sure if its worth the shot of buying sight unseen or not, to get a 4040PD.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    You sure like the seldom seen stuff. I don't have any shooting experience but being a scandium framed 40 cal 3913 it sure has a cool factor. Shame SW couldn't find a more durable finish for the blued models.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    You sure like the seldom seen stuff. I don't have any shooting experience but being a scandium framed 40 cal 3913 it sure has a cool factor. Shame SW couldn't find a more durable finish for the blued models.

Yeah, I've got a lot of oddball stuff in my collection, but that's what makes it a collection. I'd probably carry the 4040PD, but my carry rotation is so big right now, who knows. Some days its a K6S, 642, Cobra, LCRx, 3953TSW, 3914DAO, 908, occasionally a 6946.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    How do you like that ks6? Kimber lost me with a couple finicky 1911s but the ks6 is an interesting piece.

Ban the fools, not the tools I say. wtburnette

It's a very smooth trigger. I bought one early, early on, when Rural King had one on the shelf. Now that they have some different sight options for them, I really like them, no snag, DAO, easy to carry in a pocket, at least for me. I like the newer models in the black finish, but I enjoy shooting it. Give a choice between buying a K6s and a new Colt Cobra, I'd go Kimber every day.

That 4040PD is listed at $769, seems steep, but I can't even find a 4040PD completed auction on gunbroker, so I have no idea.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    It's a very smooth trigger. I bought one early, early on, when Rural King had one on the shelf. Now that they have some different sight options for them, I really like them, no snag, DAO, easy to carry in a pocket, at least for me. I like the newer models in the black finish, but I enjoy shooting it. Give a choice between buying a K6s and a new Colt Cobra, I'd go Kimber every day.

That 4040PD is listed at $769, seems steep, but I can't even find a 4040PD completed auction on gunbroker, so I have no idea.

Thought about giving the ol' Model 60 SW a rest. I like the wood grip/fiber optic versions but it ain't cheap for a pocket revolver.

PD seems salty especially if you have to add in the shipping, FFL and maybe a CC fee. I thought $799 was high for a NIB 5906 and they raised the price to $850 and sold...prices are strong on these right now.

On the other hand, the best time to buy is when you see it. ;-)

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Thought about giving the ol' Model 60 SW a rest. I like the wood grip/fiber optic versions but it ain't cheap for a pocket revolver.

PD seems salty especially if you have to add in the shipping, FFL and maybe a CC fee. I thought $799 was high for a NIB 5906 and they raised the price to $850 and sold...prices are strong on these right now.

On the other hand, the best time to buy is when you see it. ;-)

4040PD's are just so uncommon it's hard to get a feel for price. Exactly, you never know when you'll see another one again on something like that.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    If your dead set on it I would pull that trigger. Seems something like that would go for closer to 650 not including ship and transfer.

Ks if that 4040 was modified by other than factory or reputable maker I wouldn't buy unless the price was dirt cheap.

Yeah, I have no idea who it was modified by, that's my dilemma. If it was 100% factory, I'd have no problems at that price.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Yeah, I have no idea who it was modified by, that's my dilemma. If it was 100% factory, I'd have no problems at that price.

There is/was a nice 39-2 and the guy selling it is good to go. If I could sell some more stuff to come up with the price I would buy but I'm really trying to get a S&W 33-1 or 33 pre 68.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    A year or two back I won a Millett Sight series 100 adjustable rear sight for my 4506-1 off fleabay. I finally found the matching front sight on fleabay and it came in on Friday. Just from mocking it up where it would go I can see I'm going to have a better time at the range.

I also got my 915 parts kit which looks good I'm missing one of the legs on the side-plate that goes into the frame and just need to go on midway and get the recoil guide rod before it sells out and a new spring. My frame should be here by Tuesday so hopefully I can get everything together by Friday. I can swap a recoil rod and spring from one of my other 5900's then I'll take her to the range and see how she does.

Top Bottom