• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Just scrolled through the prices - looks like many are well on the way to retail plus pricing - especially with a 15% buyers premium and a $10 transfer. Hopefully, I can log in and watch them go above my price range. lol!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Just scrolled through the prices - looks like many are well on the way to retail plus pricing - especially with a 15% buyers premium and a $10 transfer. Hopefully, I can log in and watch them go above my price range. lol!

I'll be watching that 4516........

Anyone need a Hogue grip for a 3rd gen 5900/4000? Its in excellent shape. I put on once to see if my tastes had changed on the grips and they are still the same.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Got it....feel free to resume your normal bidding habits...LOL

Gunbroker has always been full retail (with a few exceptions) but, it seems really high lately with Asking Prices way above fair market value (with fees and shipping included) and those auctions that do sell - sell strong. For example, that CS9 we bid on ended up at $555 (plus $30 shipping, your FFL fee and mailing a check or a CC fee).

I tend to only follow S&W semi's and revolvers and some WWII bolt action stuff so my exposure is limited. Granted, I picked up a new M&P 2.0 5" for $405 (fees included) and the 1911 will end up to be $650 in my hand but I am finding it much harder to get "a deal". I'm sure that AR's and the like are soft, though AK's seems pretty strong again.

What do you think? Are prices continuing to trend upward? If they pass nationwide CCW, will there be no CS9's ever to be bought for a fair price again? Will they ever sell that 3906 for $1100?

Bidding on anything outside a day to auction close just draws attention to it, IMO. I generally limit my searches to stuff under 48 hours to go. Anyone ever picked up a used S&W from CDISales on gunbroker?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Bidding on anything outside a day to auction close just draws attention to it, IMO. I generally limit my searches to stuff under 48 hours to go. Anyone ever picked up a used S&W from CDISales on gunbroker?

I never understand people that bid and bid days before an auction end. Great if you are the seller - but I'm generally a buyer.

CDISale - I haven't but I know some that did. It was a 5906, I believe. Cosmetically a little rough but was tight and a good shooter, as I recall.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

I never understand people that bid and bid days before an auction end. Great if you are the seller - but I'm generally a buyer.

CDISale - I haven't but I know some that did. It was a 5906, I believe. Cosmetically a little rough but was tight and a good shooter, as I recall.

If I'm going to bid I will bid my top dollar and if it doesn't pass I let it go.

I've ordered a CZ85 from CDIsales and got a cz75 in trade from someone who bought from there. They were in typical surplus shape nor pitting and bores were good. The 3rd Gens I have seen from time to time look pretty decent.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte

I've bought dozens of guns from CDISales over the years, S&W and otherwise. They're good to go, especially if carry wear doesn't bother you. Few of their guns are pristine if you know what I mean. I don't follow them like I used to since their prices seem to have shot up a bit since Gary passed away a year or two back and their pictures have gotten worse(everything's shot from oblique now like Robertson's and I hate it). Used to be that I watched Gary's auctions daily and could find great deals on demand.

A better way to search GB, especially if you get someone like CDI who often puts up auctions with say a $259 opening bid with a $260 Buy Now, is to only search recently posted auctions. Usually you need to be the first person to see a deal to get the deal and that's how I've bought most of my guns from them. GB constantly screws up their own website with endless changes and 'updates', so I'm not sure how to work the system now, but when I search I look at fixed price sales and anything with about 6 days left to go(meaning it probably hasn't been up for a full day yet). That's where deals are found. In other words, you're intentionally NOT looking where the system tries to force you to look,.........active auctions with lots of bids, Reserve auctions, Showcase actions,.......nothing but time wasters for the proles.

You can also run a search,....firearms/semi automatic/S&W/9mm/used and exclude M&P/Shield to weed out a ton of crap,.....and then start looking at the back page of the list and work your way forward. You'll start with the 28day fixed price listings and quickly work your way forward into the 6-7days left listings. If you haven't found something by 5 days left you might as well play some online poker or something because there's nothing left to find forward of there.

Guys that claim that there are no deals to be had or that GB sales always end at retail+ just haven't yet learned how to be smarter than the system. I get a few deals on guns that run full cycle with no reserve, but FEW is the key word there, and it's usually on something obscure or something nobody else found(due to a poor description or mis-spelling, etc). Bought a nib FNC cheap not too long ago because the seller didn't mention that it was an FNC, didn't describe it hardly at all and only posted one picture. Happens all the time. Lotta lazy sellers that won't spend five minutes to get an extra grand for someone else's consigned gun.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I like the idea of picking up something from CDIsales that's got a lot of finish wear (and thus hopefully cheaper) to try a cerakote project on a 3rd gen. Been thinking it over a lot recently actually.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

I like the idea of picking up something from CDIsales that's got a lot of finish wear (and thus hopefully cheaper) to try a cerakote project on a 3rd gen. Been thinking it over a lot recently actually.

Cerakote and 3rd gen in the same sentence sounds like sacrilege to me. Must be trying hard to get your 3rd gen card revoked by club vote.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Cerakote and 3rd gen in the same sentence sounds like sacrilege to me. Must be trying hard to get your 3rd gen card revoked by club vote.

That's why I'm looking for one that's beat to heck, which occasionally you find a place like CDIsales selling. I'd never consider doing it to a nice once, the stainless is too nice. But something that's been beat to heck (especially if it's the black finish), I don't see the hurt in it.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I took my third generation Smith out to the range this evening. It is a 5903, nonadjustable sights, and a former police trade in. The pistol functioned flawlessly, I put about 50 rounds of steel cased ammo through it. I have long thumbs. They hit the decocker a few times, besides that it was a nice experience. I placed an order at Copper Custom for a California Highway Patrol 4006, I still have not gotten it and have been told that the CHP is having trouble transitioning over to the M&P. If anyone here is interested in my 5903 shoot me a pm, I have been thinking about selling it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

I took my third generation Smith out to the range this evening. It is a 5903, nonadjustable sights, and a former police trade in. The pistol functioned flawlessly, I put about 50 rounds of steel cased ammo through it. I have long thumbs. They hit the decocker a few times, besides that it was a nice experience. I placed an order at Copper Custom for a California Highway Patrol 4006, I still have not gotten it and have been told that the CHP is having trouble transitioning over to the M&P. If anyone here is interested in my 5903 shoot me a pm, I have been thinking about selling it.

I've been hearing great things about those CHP 4006's people have been getting. Appears most are TSW's.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I've been hearing great things about those CHP 4006's people have been getting. Appears most are TSW's.

Yes, all of the CHP 4006's are TSW. I've got one, its on a different frame as such. They ordered them in enough quantity to get S&W to make a different frame, rather than having the riveted on rail, it has a rail that is formed into the frame. Quite nice, but heavy.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016

That's a tough call...I ALMOST bought a cosmetically trashed 5906 once and ALMOST thought about doing it in FDE...almost...

Z

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

Buying a Model 39-2 a while back is what got me back on a Third Gen kick.

I figured you'd be buying that 6906 with 9 mags on the SW forum...

I'll have to look again. Someone was talking about a 5943 with extremely worn hogues over in IL.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Buying a Model 39-2 a while back is what got me back on a Third Gen kick.

I figured you'd be buying that 6906 with 9 mags on the SW forum...

I do remember seeing that yesterday. Its a little too rich for my taste, plus I'm in the doghouse over buying 3 guns last month. So i have to wait till at least next May till I can jump back on the 3rd Gen bandwagon.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I bought a 1911 Billboard and SW 1500 .243 this week and then yesterday my 12 year old BMW decide to succumb to illness of which the cure cost as much as its value. So, I am car shopping instead of gun shopping (unless that ANIB 3906 comes along....).

Anyone have a late model Grand Cherokee or Silverado for sale?!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I bought a 1911 Billboard and SW 1500 .243 this week and then yesterday my 12 year old BMW decide to succumb to illness of which the cure cost as much as its value. So, I am car shopping instead of gun shopping (unless that ANIB 3906 comes along....).

Anyone have a late model Grand Cherokee or Silverado for sale?!

No........... but that 1K 3906 is still there. Last time I looked I remember it having a box with no label and some generic wax paper. It was kinda like that 4506 complete slide on ebay that was listed for $450ish for a long time and even on the S&W forum people were talking about it to the point the owner chimed in and just made it worse.

I did manage to secure that Marlin 25 in the classys for some reloading supplies. My wife still nagged me over the prices I paid for the components even after I informed her no money from our account was used to facilitate my obsessive habit.

Top Bottom