• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    So what Gen is a 6949 considered to be? Only paid $203 +shipping for it. It's not the prettiest girl at the dance but it's rust barnacle free. I actual had a bunch of mags for it before I ever got the gun. If your looking for some 6900 mags let me know, been thinking about letting some go for around $25 a pop.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So what Gen is a 6949 considered to be? Only paid $203 +shipping for it. It's not the prettiest girl at the dance but it's rust barnacle free. I actual had a bunch of mags for it before I ever got the gun. If your looking for some 6900 mags let me know, been thinking about letting some go for around $25 a pop.

I've got 44 3rd gen mags total. Ranging from 5900, 4506, 3906, and 3913. I have just 26 alone in 5900 flavor ranging from 14 to majority 15rd mags. If I can get them cheaper than 25 a piece I will buy up as many as I can when the funds are free for it. As far as your 6946 would have to see a pic to determine if you did good. Based on current market you did good, but condition is everything as they say.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Still haven't found the 4506 for me but I noticed this one on GunBroker. While I'm not interested in buying it, I noticed it was a no dash with a round trigger guard and also has the SW logo on the slide and no roll mark on the right side of the frame.

I've seen transitional 4506-1's with a square guard but not the other way around. Is this an end of production gun? Am I woefully uninformed about no dash to -1 changes or is this gun a ____ ?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/682596564

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hicock45 giving some 3rd Gen love. A Hoosier gunshop helped him out with it too.

[video=youtube_share;hGxu6XU9ZbU]http://youtu.be/hGxu6XU9ZbU[/video]

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Don't have a .40 cal third gen (or anything for that matter...) but I'd wouldn't mind a police trade in that condition. Well, before he scratched the takedown pin area!

He has some of the best video's on the interweb and is a rather good offhand shot.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Hey guys. I got some questions for the 3rd gen gurus. Today I picked up a s&w 457. To be honest, I saw 3rd gen s&w and bought it up with out giving it a thorough once over. Once I got it home, I noticed some odd things about it. It has some wear on the edges of the slide. I figured its a used pistol, so it must have did some riding in a holster, but then I took it apart and found it is heavily coated in cosmoline on the inside. Real heavy. I looked down the barrel and other than dust, the bore looks perfect. What's confusing me is why would it have holster wear and cosmoline on the inside at the same time? I will post up some pics as soon as I can. Just wanted to run it by you guys, and see if I can get more info on this pistol. One more question. One of the mags says " this magazine must have a yellow follower". What in the he'll is that for?
    Thanks for the help fellows.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Means you can't use the earlier orange followers. Only yellow (mid) or black (late) for 45's.

As to the cosmoline, could have be a police trade-in put into storage after someone stopped carrying it? Just a WAG though...

Pictures are required....

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Sorry I can't upload more pictures. Aparently photo bucket wants money and I have exceeded my limit on here.
    Anybody know of another free picture posting site I could use for this?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've read on the S&W forum that the black finish n the 3rd gen smiths isn't the greatest. The cosmoline isn't a deal breaker looks fairly fresh so should clean right off with brake clean or paint thinner. If you know how to completely disassemble your 3rd gen it will be a breeze to clean up. Otherwise i would say it looks great and you got a nice sleeper there. What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    what did you do to remove the mag safety ? Why do you want to change the safety de cocker , just flip the decocker /safety lever up and you are ready to rock & roll. Did you also remove the F.P.block ?

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Removing the mag safety is surprisingly easy. Just remove the rear sight. You will find 2 springs. One of them has a white plastic follower. Remove it and the spring. Leave the other spring alone. That is your firing pin block. Drop safety basically. Don't want t to delete it. You can watch plenty of videos on YouTube that can show you more detail.
    I prefer decocker only. I'm not a huge fan of safeties on carry pistols. My personal preference on that one. I know they make parts to convert berrettas. I would like to know if they make them for the 3rd gen s&w's.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I believe midway usa gets the spring loaded decocker safety levers in from time to time. I also believe that the 3rd gens that are decocker only have some extra milling in order to fit that spring loaded safety. I don't think its worth it to do to that 457 especially if you would want to resell down the road.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    It does require milling if it isn't already done. Some late model third gens came from the factory with the extra cuts so you'd just have to take it apart and look at it. There's a good thread about the conversion over on the S&W forum.

Slide mounted safeties suck. If it were mine I'd want to change it too. (of course if it were mine it would be a 457D)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom