Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    When I worked @ AM General during the Iraq war, we built a one off prototype that had some unique refinements done to it. Took about 3 months to get done. We shipped it out directly to SC and it was on a boat heading for the war zone. Government was anxious to try it out due to the IED losses happening. About 2 months later, I got called down to my bosses office (Manager of QC). He showed me a picture of our prototype unit with the front of it blowed all to he#$. I remember him saying "Back to the drawing board. "
    We did the same thing, so don't act like it is special. As long as you got the prints, you can build another one. It is just time and $.
    That's what I was wondering.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I don't think we even charged them for that unit. We were trying to get better vehicles and testing in actual conditions was considered the best at the time. It lead us down a design path that helped develop up armored units that performed better.
    It would have taken so much time and effort to get it thru the normal procedure, we would likely still be waiting today for it.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    This was not a battlefield issue at all. It appears the POWs were transported to a location where they were shot and looking at the color of the blood, most likely died. Transporting individuals for extermination is not a good look when throwing around the nazi/anti-nazi argument.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Weren’t you lecturing people on Covid recently? :):
    Not recently. Tired of wasting my time countering looney tunes. Still waiting on millions of bodies to start piling up because of the "poison" vaccine. Should be any day now, since 65% + are fully vaccinated. Maybe the Kraken will return and rapture those who didn't take the "chip." :):

But this is the Ukraine thread, so if you've still got Covid on the brain, go play in one of the many conspiratard threads dedicated to that topic.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Technically the majority of them are part of Territorial Defense Units, which have been loosely integrated into the Ukrainian armed services, so in theory they should be tied by the Geneva conventions.
    I know @Brad69 covered it a while back, it's really not a very long checklist to be a lawful combatant under the Geneva Conventions. Blue or yellow armbands? Uniforms/unique insignia: check! Chain of command/reports to command authority: check! Reports to government authority: check!

In their one or two weeks of training I figure Law Of Armed Conflict (LOAC) didn't come up. Responsibility comes with taking prisoners. In the situation like we see in the Ukraine? You can't take massive numbers of prisoners. Empty their pockets (gather Intel) and point them in the direction to start walking unless their uniform/insignia says they might know a bit more than an E-1 conscript. Take POWs and you have to feed them and give them medical care. Execute a bunch of E-1 conscripts? Well the other E-1 conscripts who come along later and see the bodies will be a bit more motivated to not be captured.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    The first really high performance computers I used as an undergrad still used punch cards

Handtrucks full of stacks of punch cards

The first stand-alone I ever programmed for was a PDP-11

:fogey: you kids had it easy
    Ah yes, the good old days! I took Fortran IV at Indiana State in 1978. You hauled a shoebox or two full of punch cards across campus, hoping it didn't rain and that you didn't trip and dump the cards all over the Quad. Then you dropped the cards off at the computer center and prayed to the IBM 360 to please compile your assignment; you usually found out in an hour or so. The business geeks taking COBOL were the ones wheeling hand trucks across campus with moving boxes full of punch cards. And they didn't learn the fate of their programs until the next day.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not recently. Tired of wasting my time countering looney tunes. Still waiting on millions of bodies to start piling up because of the "poison" vaccine. Should be any day now, since 65% + are fully vaccinated. Maybe the Kraken will return and rapture those who didn't take the "chip." :):

But this is the Ukraine thread, so if you've still got Covid on the brain, go play in one of the many conspiratard threads dedicated to that topic.
    Could you possibly try any harder to call people names if you tried? Dude. Get a grip. Half the people you called names were looking for answers and not conspiracies, like myself. But you had to go off in everyone.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

My post wasn’t about Covid, it was about hypocrisy. Covid was just one of many examples, since it was the most recent I figured it would be the most likely to jog your memory. Obviously the point was lost on you tho :):

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Worst ever increase in mortality among young and healthy people exactly when they started being forced to take the shot not enough for you?

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    I know @Brad69 covered it a while back, it's really not a very long checklist to be a lawful combatant under the Geneva Conventions. Blue or yellow armbands? Uniforms/unique insignia: check! Chain of command/reports to command authority: check! Reports to government authority: check!

In their one or two weeks of training I figure Law Of Armed Conflict (LOAC) didn't come up. Responsibility comes with taking prisoners. In the situation like we see in the Ukraine? You can't take massive numbers of prisoners. Empty their pockets (gather Intel) and point them in the direction to start walking unless their uniform/insignia says they might know a bit more than an E-1 conscript. Take POWs and you have to feed them and give them medical care. Execute a bunch of E-1 conscripts? Well the other E-1 conscripts who come along later and see the bodies will be a bit more motivated to not be captured.
    From a legal point, is this technically a war? Did Russia ever formally declare war on Ukraine, or is this still their “special operation “?
    Ukrainians can declare it “counter-banditism operation”, consider all the foreign persons bearing arms on their territory as “Undefined criminal organizations”, and then what Geneva Convention? They were criminals resisting arrest by army units with temporary police powers.
    International legal eagles, how would this work?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ukrainian Army questioning captured wounded soldiers. Pretty graphic. They kneecap three prisoners exiting a van at the end. Think the mainstream media is going to show this?

https://files.catbox.moe/juxmpi.mp4
    Are you 100% certain that is Ukraine military? How do you know? Also is it possible for those doing this to be militia, or foreign fighters?

There is so much propaganda coming out of this war I'm questioning everything seen.

arty8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Are you 100% certain that is Ukraine military? How do you know? Also is it possible for those doing this to be militia, or foreign fighters?

There is so much propaganda coming out of this war I'm questioning everything seen.

Seems pretty legit

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The people who mock prepping are almost always among the first casualties, one way or another

"Normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a cognitive bias which leads people to disbelieve or minimize threat warnings. Consequently, individuals underestimate the likelihood of a disaster, when it might affect them, and its potential adverse effects. The normalcy bias causes many people to not adequately prepare for natural disasters, market crashes, and calamities caused by human error."
    Probably not gonna be popular, but whatever…
    Don’t you think there is also a cost to the constant drumbeat of fear coming from every angle?
    I get what you’re saying, we can’t live in denial, but how long, individually and as a society, can we go on with fearmongering done in the name of ulterior motives? There are surely large adverse affects, societally and individually, of over-preparation, don’t you think?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Probably not gonna be popular, but whatever…
    Don’t you think there is also a cost to the constant drumbeat of fear coming from every angle?
    I get what you’re saying, we can’t live in denial, but how long, individually and as a society, can we go on with fearmongering done in the name of ulterior motives? There are surely large adverse affects, societally and individually, of over-preparation, don’t you think?
    Yes. But... you can read of actual disasters that have happened.

Heck, I lose power in my neighborhood several times a year.
    Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, sometimes days.
    Yet, my neighbors will be commenting that I am "lucky" I have a generator.
    No. I'm not "lucky".

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Those POWs look consistent with what I've seen of the makeup of Russian forces.

Also the first guy looks like he'd been tortured for awhile to me. You don't get that big of a lip by bumping your head.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From a legal point, is this technically a war? Did Russia ever formally declare war on Ukraine, or is this still their “special operation “?
    Ukrainians can declare it “counter-banditism operation”, consider all the foreign persons bearing arms on their territory as “Undefined criminal organizations”, and then what Geneva Convention? They were criminals resisting arrest by army units with temporary police powers.
    International legal eagles, how would this work?
    I can just speak from my point of view: Cold War through OEF/OIF. I don't look for this to come down to "who has the best lawyer" as to whether something is... I dunno, it's early.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yes. But... you can read of actual disasters that have happened.

Heck, I lose power in my neighborhood several times a year.
    Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, sometimes days.
    Yet, my neighbors will be commenting that I am "lucky" I have a generator.
    No. I'm not "lucky".
    My wife gets so mad at people that make those comments, like “must be nice to be able to do (insert thing here)”. Yeah it is and it didn’t happen overnight nor was it easy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom