Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I say BS the Kraians only had 37 MIG 29’s at the start. Some of the Air Force vets can chime in but I would think some were down for maintenance.

The Russians have the SS400 among other ADA assets that are some of the best in the world. I would assume any operational aircraft would be used in the ground attack role.

The tail of a Lone Wolf pilot ambushing Russian hordes sounds good but I am suspicious.

How would a great pilot in a early 90’s F15 fair against a 2021 F15 with a good pilot?
    I think the big difference would be a desert storm eagle driver going up against an F 22/5 generation fighter. The F-15 has been flying for almost 50 years, and the C Models that our air superiority aircraft were built from 1979 to 1984.

I would really have no idea what kind of mission capability rates MiG 29s in the Ukrainian Air Force would have. The fulcrum is very capable, and is a fourth generation fighter. Worst comes to worst, they could probably get 12 to 15 in the air. Again I don’t know much about how they would operate. Older fighters I’m thinking MiG 21s Could probably get airborne if the maintenance troops only had hammers and screwdrivers.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    You would think military strategists would have targeted all air bases prior to sending ground troops. I know if you own the air, you generally fair much better on the ground... hence why our first goal is to demolish any Air Force bases with missiles before we roll in the tanks.

I’m wondering if Russia didn’t think this would be as easy as rolling in a few troops and tanks and Ukraine throwing up a white flag, because at the moment it doesn’t look like Russia is a world power, and they have the ability to demolish Ukraine if they wished.

I also think they might have been testing the waters to see the global reaction before really going full force. By sending in armored vehicles and infantry, they could easily pull out if Europe/US deployed to Ukraine... by sending missiles off the bat, that would’ve sparked a much more urgent response globally.

Regardless, he took advantage of western failures at the right moment, and it will only embolden other leaders that have been hesitant to make their move. This is only the beginning. China, your move.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yeah, I was aware that it was concerning the ouster of then President Yanukovych who leaned in favor of Russia.
    Yeah and I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure the millionaire who backed Zalensky (Kolamisky?) was tied to the Obama/Biden corruption among other stuff.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah and I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure the millionaire who backed Zalensky (Kolamisky?) was tied to the Obama/Biden corruption among other stuff.
    It could be. There's so many dynamics in play it's hard to keep track of them. "Leaderships" both internally and externally who've been involved have gotten that country all screwed up and the people are suffering because of it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It could be. There's so many dynamics in play it's hard to keep track of them. "Leaderships" both internally and externally who've been involved have gotten that country all screwed up and the people are suffering because of it.
    I was supposed to quote you in the video I posted. ^^^^

And I like "Leadership", that's exactly right.

Reactions: KG1

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The EU is sending a lot of "lethal aid" to Ukraine.
    Germany has not done that in 70 years ... they agreed to send armor at first but now decided to send guns and ammo.

In January 2022, Germany ruled out sending weapons to Ukraine and prevented Estonia, through export controls on German-made arms, from sending former East German D-30 howitzers to Ukraine.[355] Germany announced it was sending 5,000 helmets and a field hospital to Ukraine,[356] to which Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko derisively responded: "What will they send next? Pillows?" :): [357] On 26 February, in a reversal of its previous position, Germany approved the Netherlands' request to send 400 rocket-propelled grenades to Ukraine,[358] as well as 500 Stinger missiles and 1,000 anti-tank weapons from its own supplies

I heard a French general on the radio the other day, he said that Putin did more for NATO in a few days than any western politician in the last 20 years.

On 27 February, Portugal announced that it would send H&K G3 automatic rifles and other military equipment.[351] Sweden and Denmark both decided to send 5,000 and 2,700 anti-tank weapons, respectively, to Ukraine.[368][369] Denmark also provided parts from 300 non-operational Stinger missiles, that the US would first help make operational.[370]

The Norwegian government, initially saying it would not send weapons to Ukraine but would send other military equipment like helmets and protective gear,[371][372][373] announced on the evening of 28 February that it would also donate up to 2,000 M72 LAW anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.[374][375][376] In a similarly major policy shift for a neutral country, Finland announced that it would send 2,500 assault rifles together with 150,000 rounds, 1,500 single-shot antitank weapons and 70,000 combat-ration packages, to add to the bulletproof vests, helmets, and medical supplies already announced

France is deploying 500 troops to Romania and some 200 additional troops to Estonia.

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, announced he’s sending a new contingent of French military to Estonia. Currently, 300 French troops, 150 armored vehicles and 12 Leclerc tanks are in Estonia as part of the UK-led NATO battle group. According to the previous plans, the Danish military would have replaced this contingent in mid-March. However, France will additionally send a new, up to 200-strong mountain unit to Tapa, Estonia. Also, France will push forward its takeover of the Baltic Air Policing Mission from April to March.

French_army_starts_NATO_Bold_Eagle_exercise_in_Estonia.jpg

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Will try to find the article, but one analysis was saying that Putin bit off more than he can chew.

The reason for this war is Putin's prestige. In the past, when he's down in popularity he's invaded other countries.

Chechnya, Georgia, Syria - the size of the enemies were less than a million mostly because these are small countries. Syria is different because Russia was fighting insurgents/anti-government forces not Syria.

Ukraine is a 44 million people with a large army.

The lessons the Russian army learned in those 3 previous conflicts certainly didn't prepare them for where they are right now. I'd suggest they couldn't scale and co-ordinate the various moving parts of an invasion.

They are falling back to tried and true, wall of artillery in front of infantry and armor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom