• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    My understanding from this discussion is that under no circumstances should anyone ever have their loaded carry gun and unload it in a business for the purpose of fitting it to a new holster.
    So by that logic, if I wish to buy a new holster and test fit it, I need to bring my weapon into the store unloaded in a case.
    However, following the four rules, that gun is still treated as if it is loaded, so how is this different than clearing the one in the holster?

I'm not trying to be an asshat, just trying to figure out how someone is supposed to go holster shopping. As long as I have been carrying, my pistol has never left its holster except at home when putting it away. Several times I have been in a gun store and wanted to try a new holster but didn't for fear of committing mortal sin such as described in the OP.

Just what is acceptable???
    Matt

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    My understanding from this discussion is that under no circumstances should anyone ever have their loaded carry gun and unload it in a business for the purpose of fitting it to a new holster.
    So by that logic, if I wish to buy a new holster and test fit it, I need to bring my weapon into the store unloaded in a case.
    However, following the four rules, that gun is still treated as if it is loaded, so how is this different than clearing the one in the holster?

I'm not trying to be an asshat, just trying to figure out how someone is supposed to go holster shopping. As long as I have been carrying, my pistol has never left its holster except at home when putting it away. Several times I have been in a gun store and wanted to try a new holster but didn't for fear of committing mortal sin such as described in the OP.

Just what is acceptable???
    Matt

What's acceptable? Per some here, buy it, take it home, go into a separate room where no one is present with steel lined walls, remove loaded piece from current holster, unload, double check chamber, then try in new holster. If it does not fit, try to reseal package, reholster said piece and return to store purchased and attempt to return new holster that does not fit to customer service, then return to firearms counter and start process all over. Be sure to top off gas tank on way home so as not to run out of gas on next trip to store after finding this holster also does not fit.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    ask the guy at the counter to get one of the firearms behind the counter out, the same model hes carrying, and then try it in the holster.
    A LOADED FIREARM DOESN'T LEAVE THE HOLSTER UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO USE IT!!!!!!!

That's not just an OPINION, its common sense.

If you don't understand common sense, maybe you should reconsider carrying a firearm.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    If you are going holster shopping, bring your normal carry gun in a case, unloaded, and let the guy behind the counter know whats going on. I'm sure they'd be happy with it. But dont just go in, grab a holster, and whip your carry gun out, unload it, and try a holster. My god, have some tact.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    A LOADED FIREARM DOESN'T LEAVE THE HOLSTER UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO USE IT!!!!!!!

Oh, Really?

I've taken mine out to show a friend. Had no intension of using it. I trusted my friend, I unloaded it and racked the slide, but it was loaded when I removed from my holster.

The same has happened when I cleaned it. And YES it was loaded when I removed it.

I must just be one stupid SOB, with little to no common sense. But I have owned firearms since the age of 6, that's 64 years of owning firearms, I may not have any common sense IYO, but I do have much experience, plus 8 years in the military.

Once again it the person who fires a gun, not the gun going off by itself. Finger off trigger has a meaning.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Oh, Really?

I've taken mine out to show a friend. Had no intension of using it. I trusted my friend, I unloaded it and racked the slide, but it was loaded when I removed from my holster.

The same has happened when I cleaned it. And YES it was loaded when I removed it.

In a retail store?

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    What's acceptable? Per some here, buy it, take it home, go into a separate room where no one is present with steel lined walls, remove loaded piece from current holster, unload, double check chamber, then try in new holster. If it does not fit, try to reseal package, reholster said piece and return to store purchased and attempt to return new holster that does not fit to customer service, then return to firearms counter and start process all over. Be sure to top off gas tank on way home so as not to run out of gas on next trip to store after finding this holster also does not fit.

arent most holsters these days marked?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Yes, thats what I meant, clearly. You must never take it out. Not to clean it, not to take a shower, not to change clothes.
    You may have been around longer than me, but Ive been around long enough to be suspicious that someone who creates confusion by changing the parameters of an argument without telling anyone beforehand has no argument. Its what slick willy used to do, change the question, to make it not so obvious that his POV had no merit.

Not saying your like slick willy, just saying, you know what Im on about, and your avoiding it, by talking about things you do with a buddy, at home.

There are much safer ways to see if your holster is a good fit for your handgun. Take it in unloaded, at least.

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    That was not brought up in your statement.

I made it quite clear several times what I was talking about, and I believe you are intentionaly playing word games/

It's a farm store that happens to sell firearms accessories, not a gun store. You wanna go all "excuse me while I whip this out" then buy at a gun shop if they don't care. Otherwise just take it home and return it if you don't like it.

I have zero tolerance for people pulling out guns in someplace like rural king for some reason other than using it.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Whatever you say, I take things literally, no guess work.

Obviously we have differing opinions on this matter, I believe in slightly more tolerance in most matters, you don't, so be it. Not likely our paths will ever cross, which may in all likelihood be a good thing.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    1) Take his child away. He obviously isn't old enough to take care of himself
    2) Take him out behind the building and beat him with a stick

Seriously. It sounds like the kid wanted an excuse to remove his firearm and show it off. This makes all of us look bad. Maybe he's one of those guys who doesn't carry one in the chamber? If so, still perform steps 1 and 2.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you are going holster shopping, bring your normal carry gun in a case, unloaded, and let the guy behind the counter know whats going on. I'm sure they'd be happy with it. But dont just go in, grab a holster, and whip your carry gun out, unload it, and try a holster. My god, have some tact.

This, exactly. This is what you must do if you have to take your firearm to a store to try it in a holster.

Top Bottom